PDA

View Full Version : Another PB Mud Snapper

foggy
23-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Left Pinkenba at 4.30am this morning for a plastic session. As soon as we got to the usual spot the fish were on straight away. 36cm then 38cm then all hell broke loose. Over the next 20 minutes we lost a big fish to the reef. Lost another big one, hooks pulled, then hooked up solid on a good one. The speed these fish take line in shallow water never ceases to amaze me. Anyway, after about 5 minutes, including chase down 100mtrs with the boat, my personal best snapper laid on its side beside the boat. The fish went 81cm and just under 6 kilos. We landed another 5 or 6 legal fish that were all returned, but we got busted up another 4 or 5 times by even bigger fish. By 7oclock the bait balls had thinned out and were back on the bottom, I guess due to boat traffic. Back home, fish cleaned and boat washed by 10.30am. Weather was good, fishing was awesome, back before getting sunburnt, what more could you ask for.

flickflack
23-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Great fish mate.

Steven78
23-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Well done Foggy... Did the gar get a touch?

caloundra
23-10-2005, 01:12 PM
nice looking snapper there foggy

jackash
23-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Thats a solid snapper... what bait were you using... and how deep was the water?
Cheers
Jackash

Jiggit
23-10-2005, 02:32 PM
great fish dude mhat depth and rubble or reef ,time for another fish at mud

aquarius
23-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Graham thats one awsome bronze snapper mate. ;)
Gives me a task now to try and match or better it...lol
Usual location?
What line class?
I know where everbody will be heading next weekend weather permitting..lol
Wello is starting to produce bigger squire now but i doubt if they will reach the size of the MUD SNAPPER.
Cheers Brent :D

Scalem
23-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi Brent,

We could start our own club almost!! Well done! Awesome fight at that size hey!! ;)

aquarius
23-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Graham (Foggy) has been trying for that pb around mud for some time now and its great to see he finally nailed that snapper.
A just reward for his efforts.
Hope they keep getting bigger from now on.
Scalem I can't join the club until i catch a snapper 5 kilo+..lol
Cheers Brent :)

Wyoming
23-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Graham - y'gotta be happy with that!

After your text, I belted home and got the old chap into the boat - zoomed off to Wello, near where we fished Friday afternoon.

The Tupperwares barely hit the water and they were off! We had 4 good keepers (all squire) in the first 5 minutes of the first drift and the sounder was humming its head off! Right on low tide at around 5.40PM in 4.5m of reasonably slack water, the fish just stopped, like switching off a light switch and that is when Jim's SP got hit hard. He was lying back, relaxing, but still comatose, when the rod bent over double, so he gets out of his chair and starts winding. At last he was awake and in charge, so he starts to tell me how great it is, fishing with plastics! I think we have him converted - he is like a man who has just found Jesus and I'll bet that there will another $100 bucks worth of plastics on the boat next time we go.

Again, mate, great fish and congratulations (bastard)!!!!

Scalem
23-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Slight correction,
Just back from Indy and the ears are still buzzing, so I misread the author of this post, it's foggy who nailed the Snapper, not Brent. Well done Foggy!! ( Keep trying Brent!! ::)

clarkski
23-10-2005, 08:08 PM
>:( Man i am new to this business and hell.......i am trying for these fishing and all i can manage is 30-35cm Snapper/Squire. Where are these big buggers!!

I have a 420 Dory and ain't scared to get amongst it.

I must say though, what a great day today!!

Cheech
23-10-2005, 08:25 PM
I want one of those. Top fish Foggy. That is what I am after at Mud. A true Mud Island nobbie.

Cheech

foggy
24-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Jackash, Jiggit

Fishing north west cnt of mud in 33ft water using 5" watermelon powerbait and 1/8 jig heads.

Brent,
S?$t he went hard. And as i said we lost bigger ones. Fishing 10lb out there yeserday, but heading to the shop today to go up to 14lb so I have more of a chance of stopping the big one.

steven78,
Good to catch up with you yesterday. The livies did not get touched. All fish on plastics and all bar one on 4 and 5" watermelon powerbaits

Wyoming,
What a day!! Good to see you getting into them

snapattack
24-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Not again!!!! Your blessed! Well done again. Watch this space. 90cm next target is it?

finding_time
24-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Great work Graham ! I thought you migt have been out there fishing those tides. Catch up soon.
Ian

Mick81
24-10-2005, 12:02 PM
That's freakin awsome!! :) all on plastics unreal, can't wait to get amongst that sort of fish, but at the end of the day i'm happy with a legal snapper ::) :)

Louis
24-10-2005, 03:35 PM
That's a nice fish mate.

Well Done.

Louis

snapattack
25-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Finding Time,

Do you know foggys secret with the tides? Prepare to share LOL.

Foggy,

We hunted out there yesterday. Read the report and left straight away. Did not stay long due to the northerly wind that got up. Managed 5 keepers in 2 hours with the biggest being 56cm. Also lost two big fish due to cheap reels with crappy drags. What reel should I buy?

Snap

Wyoming
25-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Snap - No arguement - you need to buy a Daiwa 2500 Advantage. Absolutely awesome drag on it.

foggy
25-10-2005, 06:59 PM
I,ve got a stradic. Can not fault it. But the advantage is a nice reel. Had a play with wyomings last friday.

RobSee
25-10-2005, 09:56 PM
how big is the stradic that you are stopping those fish with?

I've got a 2500 - would it do the trick?

foggy
25-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Robsee,
The 2500 will pull them up. U may just have to chase a bit of line with the boat. The first run is incredible. I use 10lb fireline and that has also accounted for a 13 kilo jew. Great fun.

JB
26-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Foggy, how do you find the stradic after a few years of use, is the drag still up to the task? i have a daiwa caprice and the drag seems to be nowhere near wat it used to be :( , i have a feeling its because i used the reel to catch spotties all last season with 14pd braid on it. I wish they made a 4000 stradic with a larger spool and high retrieve ;)

p.s . top fish from mud, i dunno how u blokes do it, i've been there many a time with plastics and caught nuthing but undersize and flathead ::)

Jas

foggy
26-10-2005, 09:59 PM
JB,
Only had the stradic for about 6 months. I always loosen the drag of when storing so hopefully that extends its life. The reel has counted for some pretty big fish so far and has come up trumps every time. I am curently running about 1.6kilos of drag. I noticed you asked about the plastics getting choped by grinners in another post. Last weekend, i only used 4 plastics for the day. Lost 2 to fish and wear and tear on the other two. Never had a real problem with grinners. Usually only get one or two per trip. Don't think i have ever caught more than 3. I find if the plastic sits on the bottom for any length of time you will get grinners. I only let the plastic just reach the bottom and then lift it off about 1 to 2 metres, depending on current. The faster the drift the lower the lift. My best fish always hit as the plastic is desending back to the bottom. Jig head weight playd an important part also. Takes a bit to get it right. I have changed up to 5 or 6 times in 15 minutes before i got it right. But persistance pays off. Give me a yell next time your heading out there and I will meet you out there if I can and we will try to get you sorted.

Foggy

Scalem
29-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Gidday guys,

I am thinking if I had a nice reel with worn out drag washers, it is easy enough to have them replaced with the good stuff. Duncan at Fish Head advertised it in his last PDF emailed to me, and I know Johnno at Captain Bligh's will sort that out too. I also find that bearings start growling after a few years, and particularly if your bail arm line bearing is seized ( stands to reason, it will get wet every fishing trip) you should get that replaced. If this little buggar isn't rolling, it will put a heap of friction on your line. Go to http://www.minibearings.com.au/default.html as these guys are in Mansfield and most likely have the bearings for you. I myself recently bought a Penn Applause, and I am very impressed with the quality of the outfit for little expense - and great drag!!

Scalem