PDA

View Full Version : Mud snapper win this time

aquarius
30-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Hi Ausfishers and Guests, After reading about those quality snapper caught around Mud last weekend Jim and i decided we better investigate.
Headed out at 4.30 am this morning from Fisherman Island boat ramp and was met with a n/e swell as we crossed the so called Brisbane bar entrance.
Foggy and Steven were already fishing plastics as we arrived at Spot X.
First drift in 8 metres and i hook up solid to be busted off seconds later.
Other rod buckles over and i'm on again.
This fish was powerful taking out 100 metres of line in seconds and then proceded to circle the boat down deep.
20lb braid with a 14lb leader but in the end the line severed in the structure. 2 nil to mr snapper or maybe mr jew.
a few minutes past before Jim had a blistering run on his 6lb gear and was calling out #" quick its going to spool me" Bang!!! another nice fish wins the fight.
I must mention this all happened prior to sunrise and after that the fishing all but shut down.
Scored 1 keeper squire at 42cm and we released a dozen more.
Next trip i will be fishing heavier just to see what has all that power...lol
Trouble is if you go too heavy you risk not getting bites.
We were using 5" zoom baby bass and green watermellon on 2/0hw hooks.
A very pleasent morning to be out on the bay and now i can't wait to have another go at those monster snapper.
Cheers #Brent :)

Scalem
30-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi Brent,

That all sounds very familiar, try 15 KG main line but stay light with the leader. I have my fingers crossed for you, it has to happen soon. I am certainly not the expert, I was fortunate to hook my PB up under the jaw, so no way known he was going to bite my line through. It all HAS TO go in your favour one of these trips.

Good luck, I will see you on the water soon. ::)

Scalem

aquarius
30-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi Brian.....Mate i put it down to experience.......like you said "IT MAY NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT BUT IT WILL HAPPEN" Fingers crossed..lol
What leader are you using?
I have been using a Diawa millionaire 200 reel spooled up with 300 metres of 20 lb braid so i should have enough line.
Just need to stay connected..lol
Cheers Brent ;)

Scalem
30-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Hi Brent,

The Penn Applause I painstakingly set up with 4KG braid and 3.6KG Vanish Leader is not the outfit I caught my best Snapper on last week. I caught the 58cm on it, but had the old Eurostar (Silstar) Baitcaster with 15KG braid as the other outfit, still using the 3.6KG Vanish. This was a real worry, as the Bail arm Bearing I have not managed to find a replacement for, so she does not spin. I am stuffed how it survived the first run, but occasionally things go in your favour. ;D

Where did your line cut, on the leader or main line? I seem to lose the Jig head and a few cm's of trace, which would seem a bite off, not coral reef.

Let me know?

Brian

aquarius
30-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Brian one leader broke at the hook and the other at the knot between the 20lb braid and 14lb leader.
i'm going to try a very small but strong roller bearing swivel to eliminate knot stress.
In my opinion the light leader can be cut through by the thin braid while under pressure.
Will let you know how i go with this setup.
I may even try connecting 20lb braid to 20lb leader on my next mud trip.
Cheers Brent :)

straddie
30-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Heya Aquarius

Bugger, would have been nice to have landed just one of the three so you could have seen what they were.
If it was me the way the fight kinda sounds I would have been calling them for better than average spotties.

aquarius
30-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Mate ive only caught bay snapper up to 4kilo and they run like mackerel but only difference is the macks don't give you that head shake through the line.
Pretty sure they were big snapper......next time i hope to confirm.
Cheers Brent ;)

Wyoming
31-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey Brent, sorry I missed you - I was there Saturday with similar results to you, but only 2 keepers and one severe bust-off, right at the hook. I have been using 6kg fireline and around 2 metres of Vanish (10lb) and whenever I have a bust off, it seems to ba always a couple of inches from the jig head. I have had a few of these lately, so at least I'm convinced that the leader / braid connection is AOK.

How did Graham perform??

aquarius
31-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Mate Graham had a 58cm snapper when i arrived at 4.45am.......He said it was very quiet and was even talking about trying for squire in the Brissy river.
Last time i spoke with him was about 7-30 and then we moved further up towards the northern tip of mud.
Cheers Brent :)

Jiggit
01-11-2005, 06:48 PM
hey sorry to kinda jump in on this one here but not asking for spot x but i will ask what side of the the island u guys reckon is the gun.

Steven78
01-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I tell you what it was very quite on Sunday but it was better then working or cleaning at home ;D