PDA

View Full Version : Quick Flick at the Gateway on Sunday

beefaman
02-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Had an hour to spare on Sunday arvo, so launched in at Colmlsie and headed to the bridge for a solo session. First cast resulted in a 40cm tailor. A few more tailor on the next few drifts, and I decided to try the city side of the pylon to see what was lurking. First cast and I come up solid, start fighting the fish whilst drifting down the river, go a$$ up and smash my toe, drop my rod, grabbed it again but thought I lost the fish. Start winding in and the line screams off again. Grab the net between my legs as I bring the fish in. FINALLY get it to the surface, and net a 51cm squire, I was only using my light gear, as I was chasing bream LOL!!
A few more drifts resulted in another squire and two more nice tailor.
Great way to spend an hour on a Sunday arvo.

snapattack
02-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Nice fish for that far up the river mate. What plastic and weight were u using? Would have been quite funny to watch the antics of a fisherman doing everything in his power to loose a fish #LOL

PS Hope your toes allright.

beefaman
02-11-2005, 12:57 PM
It was caught on a Green Gulp Turtleback worm on a TT 1/8th jighead!! The boat that was anchored near me were laughing very hard!! ;D

MIKOS
02-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Nice score Beefaman.

Pan sized Squire and a couple of tailor. ;)

Were you near the pylons?

MIKOS

Az
02-11-2005, 01:51 PM
First cast and I come up solid, start fighting the fish whilst drifting down the river, go a$$ up and smash my toe, drop my rod, grabbed it again but thought I lost the fish.

;D ;D

Classic! Not a bad squire, haven't caught any that far down before! Good to see!

flickflack
02-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Good catch mate, top session.

2DKnBJ
02-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Not a bad sunday arvo at all.
Bet they stopped laughing when you finally landed it.
Cheers Dazza

imnotoriginal
02-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Nice, Have you tried it land-based before? Had any success?
Joel

Benno
03-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Superb.. They are great fish for the good old Gateway..

fritzy
03-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Thats a great story beefaman.
Also beautiful fish you got there. I take it you kept him and the tailor for dinner?? You have got this soft plastic game downpat!! Were you hitting the bottom with the softie or fishing slightly off it?
Cheers Fritzy

beefaman
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
I only kept one squire, the rest released to fight another day!!

The SP was just getting to the bottom, then the current would lift it, so I sould open the bail arm and get it back down there again.

Landbased is okay from the southside, there is some deep water near the pylon. Havent caught a squire landbased from there though, just tailor bream and flatties.

hot_stuff
03-11-2005, 12:33 PM
can you get to it easy? if so where is that i might give it a go on the weekend.

beefaman
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
You just drive past newspaper house and walk the rest. Not too far at all.

Louis
03-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Well done Beefaman

That's a very good catch for that neck of the woods.

Louis