PDA

View Full Version : PEEL ISLAND, FRIDAY, 4-11-05

bignick
04-11-2005, 09:35 AM
I know I said I'd never do it again, but with very narrow weather windows to get out for a fish, it was off to the dreaded Peel Island. Nearly didn't go as it was pouring rain when I woke up. Picked the father-in-law up at Victoria Point and left from down there and we anchored up at the Houseboat Wreck about 0245 for an 0440 low tide, which was right on sunrise: beautiful. Good run up from Victoria Point, despite a shower on the way with a very ominous looking sky. Not much happening until just before low tide; got a squire 40cm. Hooked another on on low tide and it grew half way in; got a nice Squire head for my trouble. Rain sprinkled on and off all morning. Got busted up by a big ray. Put another bait out and it started pi**ing down; one rod went off and half way in the other one goes and is bent hard over in the rod holder. Told father-in-law to get stuck into that one. He's into it and his two rods start trying to leave the boat: total chaos in the V-Sea, much to the amusement of the crew of another boat anchored nearby. Father-in-law missed both his fish (kept his rods, though) and I finished up with a Squire of 44cm and a nice Snapper of about 5kg. Missed one more hit a bit later, but it all went quiet after the rain stopped. Pulled the pin and headed home at 0600.

Cheers,
NICK.

Hookem_Herby
04-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Good one Nick!
Sounds like the weather could've been nicer to you but at least you got a couple of fish, enough for a feed. :) :)

Cheers,
Herby

gunna
04-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Great report. How good is that - fishing by 0300 and a report into Ausfish at 0930. Thats dedication for ya [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Darryl
04-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Nick what part of peel is the houseboat wreck mate?

And does anyone know if it fishes ok at night?

sackrash
04-11-2005, 01:37 PM
Nice one Nick, let the minister of war and finance know Im on my way to move the furniture, got the burley and the bait and Im ready to go

big_steve001
04-11-2005, 05:08 PM
nice work m8 the house boat is still holding some nice fish there and with a little commitment u can score a nice feed. wat bait were u using m8. cheers steve

bignick
04-11-2005, 06:25 PM
All fish were caught on WA Pillies. Had a couple of enquiries on fresh mullet. Also had some lovely Pike, which we cut up into different bits; couldn't give it away for love or money. Bonito also works well there, particularly in the warmer months.

Cheers,
NICK.

snappa
05-11-2005, 05:23 PM
go deep....

bignick
05-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Hangin' out for a bit of decent weather, Pete. I have to be super-picky about heading offshore these days, as a V-Sea gets a little bit more frightened at a bit of sea than a lot of other boats. Any little bit of half decent weather always seems to coincide with a work day for me. Fuel costs are also a bit of a hinderance at the moment (not for much longer, I hope). A Bay trip only costs about $30-$40 all up and only takes up a couple of hours; not overly foul if you can come home with a decent feed. I'm actually about to sit down to Snapper and chips; how good's that??

Cheers,
NICK.