PDA

View Full Version : I see lots of RED again (29th Oct)

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Well with the snapper thining out and the transition period slowly coming into effect i thought it would be time to go Red hunting again if the weather and current allowed before the missus gives birth to another addition to the family(gotta keep it in my pants i think) #:D ::)and we move house. With the northerly's predicted we once again headed out the wide bay bar instead of launching off DI and found more bait and birds then you could poke a stick at. After driving past loads of chopping fish i finally decided it was to good to resist and pulled out a trusty LuckyPhill slug ;) and 3 casts resulted in 1 mac tuna and 2 yellowfin tuna which made great bait later on. We headed north of the bar with Ian (finding-time) close by heading to a mark in the middle of no mans land for a quick look in hope that Ian was very happy with what i wanted to show him and it wasn't long before he had a grin to which hopefully in a few weeks will be dived and confirm something very interesting.(stay tuned) Anyway after many hours of driving (in crappy conditions) all around the ocean (thought we were gonna end up at Vanuatu) ::) looking and fishing new ground we ended up at a mark for some reds to which the sounder showed a very promising show and soon as the baits hit the bottom we were smashed and both raised good reds. Well to say we might have been spoilt is an understatment because from about 10am to 2pm we caught reds one after another with double hooks almost every drop. The current was ragging which had us drift fishing the whole time but who was complaining. The best part was there were no sharks for once making the fishing a lot easier and more injoyable. We reached out bag limit over the hours only keeping the better fish and releasing well over 20 in the 60-70cm range. Most fish were between approx 6-12kg. It was by far the best red session we had ever had during the daylight hours and we left them biting their heads off which is a great feeling. We headed to few other spots and decided to head our way back about 3.30pm slowly fishing some newly found ground along the way and also some old marks for big parrot, snapper and pearlies before heading into the shelter of the bay area at DI. The next morning we headed out to the close grounds and pulled some nice snapper (5-6kg) and few other bits and pieces before pulling the pin and heading back through the bar by 10am. Another great trip on the reds but a huge effort to do so again. A total of 270km was done and i can tell you it felt like it. #::) Sorry again but the good pics have been kept for BnB

Cheers Greg

One of the first for the day

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:03 PM
they got bigger as the day went on

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:06 PM
this shot was taken later in the day when the reds weren't as thick on the sounder.

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:09 PM
Here's a Pic for those Parrot lovers out there. ::) The dog loves parrot :D

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:12 PM
The Reds (If you want to winge about capture then save yourself the energy cause i dont want to read it :P :))

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:14 PM
another

Any_Weather
31-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Mate that sure is a great haul of fish. I bet you knew you were fishin when you had a double hookup of those reds. You certainly earnt the fish by the sounds. Congratulations mate, good fishin

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:17 PM
oh what a sight

noluck
31-10-2005, 10:23 PM
good staf you are the red King mate
wich date was this ??
no_luck

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:27 PM
No luck
It was on saturday mate. Just added to the subject title ;)

Brejen
31-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Greg as usual bloody awesome mate bloody awesome.
What size gear are you using when fishing for these guys?

Brett

SeaSaw
31-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Top reds reefy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] .... but geez you deserve it for the effort you put in. Looking forward to next months B&B.

Mark

Reefmaster
31-10-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys
Brejen i use 55 lb snieder and the old man uses 50 lb playtapus pink. I use Tyrnos 30 on 6 foot custom rod while the old boy uses good old Penn 6/0 and m10 rod. I did not loose one rig over the whole weekend which is a first. Rigs were paternoster and bait was everything. (Reds are not fussy when there chewing).

Mark the effort is every bit worth it i reckon. :)

Cheers Greg

zulu
01-11-2005, 05:04 AM
Greg, while some of us were struggling to get a feed at the Banks, you and Terry were out there slaying them [again] :'( I think I know where the sharks where #:'( You guys deserve the results you get, with the amount of hard yakka you put in [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

Hope to catch up soon, Troy.

PinHead
01-11-2005, 05:11 AM
The Reds (If you want to winge about capture then save yourself the energy cause i dont want to read it :P :))

I'll have a bloody whinge about the capture alright...I am jealous as all hell about it.

goodonya Greg.

Smithy
01-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Good catch once again. Any bait out wide or did you tangle with the AJs again?

Didn't see any Bills at the bar or around the Tuna schools? We were talking to a NSW game boat coming out of the bar on Saturday on VHF 21 and he saw 9-12 Blacks with breakers still on his right hand side. Looking good for the upcoming seaon but they still haven't found the Sunny Coast.

outsiderskip
01-11-2005, 05:54 AM
what a great catch of reds

cheers pete

chemmy
01-11-2005, 07:28 AM
great work mate you always come through with the goods ;)

StevenM
01-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Top effort once again Greg,

Ya bloody dog eats well

Cheers Steven woof woof

liltuffy
01-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Good effort again Greg. I haven't seen you up there lately, maybe because you are running from the bar. How far up Fraser were you, we are looking at doing some work up there as well, again good load of fish

Scott15
01-11-2005, 07:47 AM
great report and bloody good fish again, no doubt someone will throw in a winge or 2, great work greg :o :o :o :o

bugman
01-11-2005, 08:01 AM
Greg,

It seems first up after a spell your unbeatable. Good luck with the new arrival.

You don't need it with your fishing ;D

Jay_S
01-11-2005, 08:07 AM
Hey greg,
Stop doing this to us. :'( :'( :'(
I got to go to school and all I can think about is catching REDS like that.

Jay [smiley=bandana.gif]

Daintreeboy
01-11-2005, 08:24 AM
You've done it again greg, woohoo! Love the size of the fish. Were any at all under size in amongst the mayhem?
Cheers, Mark.

-spiro-
01-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Great catch Greg :o I need to get a new 4wd drive and get into some of that action myself 8-). Those reds look FANTASTIC, looking forward to the next B/B.

JB
01-11-2005, 08:55 AM
Top effort Greg, as per usual your killing us buggers at work reading this report ;) . Nobody will winge about the pic mate, we all know how much effort it takes to get up there and catch them. They are all well deserved in my book.

Jas

Dr_Dan
01-11-2005, 09:01 AM

Well said! Awesome catch,

reeldreamer
01-11-2005, 09:44 AM
All hale king reefmaster 8-) Simply awesome! Great work mate.....love it!

Mitch

DaMaGe
01-11-2005, 09:54 AM
You really earn that nick of yours, Reef Master!

I know Scott speaks highly of you, and with many reports such as this, you are certainly a top fisherman. A great haul and I bet that feed will last a few days.

Top effort.

rocket
01-11-2005, 10:26 AM
A Melbourne Cup Tip for you:

Hurry up and have that baby ... stay at home and be the perfect husband to your wife ... give up fishing for at least the first twelve months and do the right thing and give some gps marks to me and I'll try to ensure that a red or two comes your way while your playing Mr Mum!?

Then i won't make a whingeing post! ;D ;D

620sf
01-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Top fish again Greg, big effort to get up there and catch fish like that. one day we'll get up there.

Luke

philip_thomson
01-11-2005, 12:34 PM
greg its not acceptable to take your bag limit of fish. you should keep below it ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D lol

well done thats a great haul of some awesome fish some monster reds there. that is a ripper tuskie. you must be getting pretty bored of eating reds lol. :)

cheers phil

jackash
01-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Mate those fish are sensational!! How long do they take to pull up from the depths on 55lb?? Can i ask why you choose to use ordinary mono (thats what Sneider is isn't it) rather than braid or fireline??
To take fish like that do you spend alot of time searching for the right structure, or does the one spot constantly produce the goods?
Congratulations,
Respect Fritzy

bazzaman
01-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Good haul Greg. Im still insearch of a red up here in NQ! Wish there were some spots that produce like that. Cant imagine havn such a great bite session AND TO LEAVE EM BITING!!! :o :o :o :o

WELL DONE.

Shane

jackash
01-11-2005, 04:09 PM
AWesome reds there... your making a habit of catching these big ones... top stuff
Cheers
Jackash

jackash
01-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Sorry i didnt reply to that psot twice... brother forgot to log in as himself

dfox
01-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Well done mate! Top effort , even more so concidering the current was strong.
With a bit of luck you might get another trip in before the new decky arrives. If not dont worry me and your old man will keep the drag warm on your new reel for ya! ;D Looking forward to seeing some underwater pics of that mark once ian dives it! catch ya...foxy

mattooty
01-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Great fish. Cant say much that others havent already said. Keep it up and keep us all drooling ;)
Matt

dnej
01-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Geees, I dont know, some of us have to work, fancy catching all those reds, and not dropping by with a sample. How is that for a whinge
David

sempre
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Red on....

Good stuff...

spaniard
01-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Top work Greg, [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif].
Can't wait for the pics of your old man. ;D
Best of luck with the new fisherman(woman), catch up with you soon.

Reefmaster
01-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the comments guys and some funny ones as well.

I have had a few PM's regarding the closure of fishing for coral reef fish during certain times of year for spawing which happens to be now and how and why i was fishing during this period. Its a good point and i hope this stops the confusion.

Coral reef fin fish
Three, nine-day periods have been implemented as closed seasons to the taking of all coral reef fish in October, November and December each year around the new moon period. The closures are designed to protect spawning aggregations of most coral reef fish species.

For 2005 the closures for waters east of Cape York between 10°41’ south (near Cape York) and 24°50' south will be:

27 September to 5 October;
27 October to 4 November; and
25 November to 3 December.

The area south written to be 24 50' is the top end of Fraser Island so this does not include where we fish so this the reason why we fished.

Troy
For once it was great not battling with the sharks so thanks for feeding them on the barwons maybe they could stay down that way :) Will have to catch up soon.

Smithy
Mate didn't see any Bills but maybe up in a higher position it may have been possible. ( it was alittle choppy in that area). All the signs were there and basicly from between Inskip and Fraser right out to the outer bank was just a feeding frenzy.

Liltuffy
Yeah with the northerlys and very little protection launching off the beach at DI going out the bar has been a lot better option. Heading north is frustrating country and its hard going from spot to spot trying to find quality fish. Good fish like pearlies,reds,scarlets and sweeties are taken farely close north of the bar. Its not hard to head 70-80 km north to find the fish sometimes but.

Brett i was starting to think the reds were never gonna get hit again this year as the weather just hasn't been suitable to head that wide on weekends in a small boat. It had been 3 months since we hit them last and that was way to long. :) ::) but atleast the snapper have kept us amused in the meantime

Jay get your oldman into gear and tell him your going red hunting next trip. ;)
Surely he won't say no. ;)

Daintreeboy- Mark we got a few just undersize Reds but most were well over legal length. It's tough when that happens ;D

Jackash- Fritzy -They dont take long at all mate but when first hooked they just get on there side, put the head down and stop you in your tracks very quickly. Your question about mono and Braid can be very touchy subject for some but i will only use mono. I used braid for while a few years ago and lost to many fish from pulling hooks to break offs. I reckon you need stretch and adding decent lengths of mono to the braid certainly helps but the main reason most use braid is for feel and thin diameter in deep water and current. The areas we fish rarely get deeper then 70 mtrs and not often do we have strong current so theres no need for braid and using mono is a lot safer on a fish during a fight and another good point is how harsh braid is on a fish making it's return back to the water in a healthy condition poor compared to using mono. I have converted well over 10 fishos back to mono over the years and they reckon they will not go back. Most winning comp anglers us mono and hate braid. Each to there own and what ever works for you then stick to it. But next time you loose a fish just think about the fight and how and why you lost that fish and would have mono made the difference. ;)

Some spots just will hold reds alot of the time will others won't hold big numbers but quality and then you will find ground that looks like it will hold reds but you never pull a fish from it. Red fishing sucks. ;) ::)

Dave you're not allowed to go fishing while im at home being a good Dad changing crappy nappies. Can't wait to see whats down there Dave. Its big.( reading back through that last line doesn't sound to good but its good for a laugh - I mean big wreck ;D)

Paul have some nice pics of the oldman holding reds again but me thinks we need a little training course for the oldman on photography. Nah he does alright. ;) ;D. He's 60 so i will let him go :D Talk to ya soon.

Cheers Greg

chemmy
01-11-2005, 09:52 PM
do you feel the bit with mono or do the fish just take the bait?

why don't you fish the barwons or the reefs of moretorn?(spelling)You all ways seem to fish D/I
but i gues with results like that i can see why

Reefmaster
02-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Chemmy
You can feel the bites easy when using mono and Reds tend to put a good solid wieght like tug when biting.

Unlike most guys i use one of the thickest Diameter mono lines on the market. The thin lines tend to have a fair amount of stretch even when they say low stretch and this is mainly when using line under 40lb. I prefer line around 50 pound in the thick diameter because it is very sensitive in feeling bites and it's not until you load the line with heavy wieghts that it starts to stretch and this is when mono comes into its own world with plenty of give when the fish wants to run and shake the head.

Chemmy i do fish Moreton and Straddie reefs throughout the year only because its easy to have a day trip close to home. Because the Barwons are a fair drive for me and i don't spend time in the area i prefer to drive alittle further and Fish out from the Wide Bay Bar area where i have spent most of my life fishing.

I believe one of the most important parts of being a good fisherman is to spend as much time and learn as much as possible on one area to acheive the best results. The area your fishing on the barwons is a great start but you need to really start looking further around your area making sure you are having a really good look what could be on offer as you could ruin the spots your fishing now by over fishing them and then your left with nothing. Fish them in moderation and you could keep pulling good fish off them for years to come.

Cheers Greg

zulu
02-11-2005, 08:21 PM
You can count me as one of those fishos who have been a recent covert back to mono [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

spaniard
02-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks Greg. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Here's helping your 50 :D ;D

I guess were even on the 6 pack ;)

Reefmaster
02-11-2005, 09:16 PM
ahahaha
Thanks Paul. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

seapup
03-11-2005, 07:55 AM
greg did you catch these around the shelf?? great haul mate. how deep were you fishing in?? i fished 35nm east of noosa on tuesday and the current was pretty strong as well - but was still fishable..

mr_stinker
03-11-2005, 11:02 AM
ITS JUST GOOD TO KNOW THAT GOOD FISH ARE STILL ABOUT,DONT STOP THE PICS ARE GREAT

ANY WEATHER WILL SPEAK TO YOU WHEN TOYOTA COMP GETS CLOSER

Reefmaster
03-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Seapup
All fish are caught before the shelf anywhere upto 10km before is where i like to fish for them mostly. Most country we fish in is around 60m but the further you head north the shallower it gets. The current was a pain but like you said its still fishable with big leads while drifting.

Regards Greg

Sportfish_5
03-11-2005, 01:16 PM
50 baby ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Seems you still havent learnt to hook up that NMEA GPS output to the sounder ;) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D

No need for well done - you already got the chemmy nod 8-)

Cheers

Greg

seapup
03-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Greg! You obviously cleaned up on the Reds you lucky bugger!! I got some marks for the shelf east of the lighthouse at DI - am heading up there soon when the weather looks good to chase some Reds. What baits and rigs have been working the best for you on the Reds?? You tried jigging for Reds?? I been getting some Snapper and Pearlys on jigs 40nm east of Noosa - so i reckon the odd Red would smash a jig. What do you reckon??

Reefmaster
03-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Greg
Thanks for the 50 mate. ;) 8-)
Sorry mate but i don't think i will be ever hooking the GPS upto the sounder. ;) ;D
Yes the Chemmy nod was all that was needed to make me happy. :D #;)

seapup
I have caught some good reds east of DI but it can be a real struggle in that area and never caught quantity there just the odd snodger. People think reds need to have the best bait and rigs in the world but the truth is they will eat anything no matter how it is presented. They certainly aren't fussy but alot of the bigger fish are caught on paternoster rigs and for guys who don't go red fishing much i would be advise using slab baits as it's alot easier to hook one then when using whole baits like yakka's because the way they mouth the bait ever so gentle. Never tried using jigs on reds and maybe they would work but i really wouldn't think reds would take a liking to one because the way they feed. Reds are lazy eaters and just mouth the bait taking there time to inhale unlike Pearlies and snapper where they hit a bait with aggression this the reason why i would suggest they wouldn't be tempted to take a jig. But you never know.

Regards Greg

Jiggit
03-11-2005, 06:08 PM
dude thats an awesome catch of alota great fish. a mate a mine used to have troubles just to get a legal one when i was living up in gladstone he always only caught em undersize. hopefully they will be all eatin and enjoyed and none wasted. cheers .congrats on good day..

eggbeater
03-11-2005, 09:55 PM
G'day Greg. Awesome report once again,and a legend fisherman.

Good luck with junior reefy & ya move. Say g'day to the gang for me.

Cheers buddy.

seapup
04-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Greg thanks for the reply again mate..so you reckon better Red ground to the ENE of the lighthouse??

Cobalt_Dreams
05-11-2005, 06:57 PM
That's some great tucker there greg, Bet you slept well after all that hard work.

bazzaman
06-11-2005, 06:16 AM
I think that parrot needs a appointment with the local orthodontist! :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ;) ;) :)