PDA

View Full Version : Pin/ Southern Bay This Weekend

bidkev
07-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Deckie managed a weekend off, but with suss winds and plenty of showers forecast, no plans were made. Decided to let her lie in Saturday, but woke up at 7am itching to go. She agreed when I started sulking.......works every time ;D

Told her not to bother with tents, "let's just be impulsive and adventurous", says I, hoping the forecast possible showers wouldn't eventuate :-/ "What about food", says she. "Funny you should ask", says I. "I just happen to have a couple of barbecued chooks, and two kilos of prawns in the fridge in the garage, that'll do for lunch ;) ;D The kids can live off lollies and chips and I'll shout you to dinner at Tipplers"

Thought we'd give Horizon Shores a look and was impressed at the launching facilities. Arrived there rather late at 10. A word of warning. It's a pay as you go security gate that gives no change. Entrance fee is 10 bucks for 24hrs so don't get caught with just a 20 or 50 in your wallet or it Gets expensive :o

First off, dropped the kids and deckie on S Straddy opposite Tiger mullet and went off for a fish on my own, keeping them in sight.

2 gang of 1/O's with a nice fishy looking strip of squid cast upstream and allowed to roll back down, resulted in an instant hit and a nice lizard going 57cm. Don't you just hate it when that happens? :o You think it's too good to be true then you start thinking you're gonna have a beano and when nothing comes in the next few casts, you *know* it was too good to be true ;D

Tactics were to fish a moving bait from anchor. 3 rods on the go. 2nd rod same as the 1st and third rigged with a size 4 and prawn. All cast upstream with minimum weight and various distance from the boat and allowed to run to the rear. When the third rod had settled to the rear then I would wind in the first and cast upstream again and work through like that. At any one time I would have two baits moving, one at rest and a rod in my hand. Odds are that the one not in the hand goes off :-) Too much like hard work and next time will do it with just 2 rods. Anyway, end result for 2hours was 4 more lizards, 68, 62 54 37, falling to the moving squid, 1 bream
and 3 whiting which fell to the prawn and all were returned. Every one caught was caught to moving bait. Not one fish fell whilst the bait was settled at the rear of the boat.

Picked the kids up and headed for Tipplers. Never been ashore there and the kids were chuffed at being able to stroke the wallabies with their joeys. Absolute bedlam there. There were two houseboats filled with what looked like male schoolies about a hundred metres apart. They had rigged up a catapult made from inner tubes and were water bombing each other. Anyone who came within range copped it. We stayed out of range ;D

Had dinner and a few ;D beers and played pool with the kids and listened to the band. The kids were over the moon with it all, particularly when we found one wallaby that would only eat the chips if they were in gravy ;D

Moved away from tipplers to bunk down for the night as it was too noisy.

6 of us in the Whittley was pretty camped and with the storm covers on it got pretty warm (and wet) but the kids thought it was an adventure :D

Put one of those little gas stoves on the bait board in the morning and broke open the emergency rations. Pot Noodles for Sunday breakfast! I'll never live it down ;D

Headed for slipping sands but with constant heavy showers it wasn't too much fun for the kids so decided to look for some future likely grounds in the Southern bay. Found a patch of reef just north of Blakesleys with a good showing. Spent the next couple of hours pulling in all manner of small reefies and squire one after the other in quick succession. One nice surprise was a parrot going 33cms. The inevitable shovellies turned up playing havoc with our light gear.

Decided to call it a day when we saw a break in the weather and headed home about 2pm. Pretty lumpy when we hit squire island but the Whittley cut nicely through the head on chop. We'd gone the long way round simply to try her out. .......she did ok and I'm beginning to get the feel of those trim tab thingys ;D

No pics. I forgot the camera :'(

kev

bidkev
07-11-2005, 09:26 AM
Forgot to mention. The Ship Shop is under new ownership and is up and running. Doesn't appear to be working the Northeren end though :'( Suppose they think the money is at the anchorages with the largee vessels in the South.

kev

aquarius
07-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Hi Kev, I enjoyed reading your adventure report and it sounds like the family outing was a hit with the kids.
Glad to hear the new rig is performing well.
Funny those shovellies seem to follow you around the bay ;D
Cheers Brent :)

MIKOS
07-11-2005, 12:35 PM
G,day Kev,

Thats a great story.Typical of you,always good for a laugh. ;D
Good also to hear that the ship shop is up and running again. ;)
I missed the fact that if you were out there at the pin and sometimes felt like a beer or a pie that you always could go to the ship shop ;D

Just in time for Summer
Bring it on. ;) ;D

MIKOS

Brejen
07-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Great stuff Kev. Mate enjoyed the report.

Brett

Black_Rat
08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Sounds like a great adventure on the spur of the moment .. sulk sulk #;D
Good to here the ship shop is up and running again #:)
When you say the northen end is that from Horizon Shores South ?

Damo

bidkev
08-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Appears to be damo. I didn't see it visit Gold bank even, despite there being plenty of boats in the anchorage. Perhaps it just didn't have time and may well work North one day, and South the next.

kev