PDA

View Full Version : Our first jack for the season!

lukesnapper
16-11-2005, 10:16 PM
hi guys, this is my first report so bare with me! me and my mate whitey both have a couple of months off due to knee surgery so weve decided to concentrate on jacks. we left redlands 4 curumbin creek on the gold coast at 2pm yesterday, when we got there we went 4 a look right up the creek and chasing some live bait, all as we were catching were diddies and little glassies we were after poddy mullet. we come across what looked to be really good snagy jack teritory so we decided to anchor up and use what bait we had. after 10 minuts one of my rods takes off! we were praying 4 a jack but it was moving away from the snags, after a couple of minuts of hard fighting i brang up the ol big anoying stingray! o well it got our hearts pumping. we gave it another hour then decided to have a go 4 poddies up the canals, it was coming on dusk and there was alot of movement on the surface so it didnt take long to get what we were after. coming on dark and live bait tank half full of poddies our hopes were high, we anchored up under the first bridge on the way out and sat 4 an hour with only a couple of hits enough to make us sit 4 a bit longer. still nothing so we moved down to the bridge right next to the boat ramp, we found some really good snagy bottom so we threw the anchors out. whitey fished one pilon and i fished the other after an hour or so and only 1 nice bream we were sitting back then zzz zzz ive never seen someone move so fast to there rod! whitey picks his rod up then zzSTRIKE! he really gave it to this fish keeping it out of the snags a couple of minuts later after a good fight it was neted and into the boat.JACK we both screamed! we were so happy that our persistance and patience payed off! it went 45cm and after a couple pics it was released. we gave it another hour then decided to pull the pin. weve agreed that ill be catching the next one ;) so the drive there and back was werth every minute! we were using 4/0 big gun hooks on a snooded rig with 50 pound leader. looking forward to a big season, were makin it big not workin and all! ;) cheers. pic whitey with his jack.

hot_stuff
16-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Great fish mate can't wait to get down there on the weekend and give it a bash

lukesnapper
16-11-2005, 10:46 PM
good stuff mate i cant believe how much jack potentual that creek has. i dare say wel b back there real soon! good luck 4 the weekend.

DNO40
17-11-2005, 06:01 AM
Well done and a lovely Jack to boot.

DNO

Scott15
17-11-2005, 07:01 AM
first report and a good one it is, top jack. well done

john_steward
17-11-2005, 09:33 AM
nice jack fellas,
which bridge were you fishing? was it throwers bridge or futher up the creek? i've heard there is also some good spots for jacks in the canals behind currumbin waters

Why-ting
17-11-2005, 10:08 AM
It was throwers bridge but fished the three bridges down from the highway bridge. Put in 13hrs over tuesday only one fish and bout 4 runs, but thats jack fishin! bait was hard to get in the creek, no mullet around best bet is in the canals after dark. Never fished the canals but the top reaches fish ok. pulled my biggest jack up there last year 58cm.

Franco
17-11-2005, 10:09 AM
Great shot mate. When I tried in Currumbin for jacks & crabs I just got sweet FA, so haven't been back! Good to see those fish coming out of a small system still. Very honourable release fi it's the first one!

bigmack
17-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Very funny guys - I like it a lot.................." were makin it big - not workin and all"

Sometimes you just have to do that - escape / leave/ do something else and just go fishing!

Very nice fish and very good persistence. I said yesterday in another thread; the people who catch fish are the people who go more ofetn and try harder and learn along the way.

Very nice image & teeth.

Cheers
phill

Kai_Lo
17-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Very nice jack, I hope I can catch one soon....
>:(

lukesnapper
17-11-2005, 11:06 AM
good 2 finally c u on board whitey! bring on saterday night!

flickflack
17-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Top catch guys well done

morty103
17-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Great fish, well done, even better to hear it was released

Bonesy
17-11-2005, 05:25 PM
That one good jack Lukesnapper

Bonesy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]