PDA

View Full Version : Prawns!!!

madman1
13-11-2005, 08:05 PM
They are around but in small numbers in the upper reaches of the Pine. Caught a small feed today. 90% banana prawns the rest greasies.

Went well with rib fillet steak tonight.

Cheers

Mark

bdowdy
13-11-2005, 08:11 PM
:)sounds great with the steak, wish i could have fresh prawns on my steak. the closet i get is crayfish and steak unless the fisho in town. bdowdy ;)

cuzzamundi
13-11-2005, 08:39 PM
gday madman,

great stuff. were they up near the cement banks? did you throw a line in as well?
cheers,

cuzza

land_based
13-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Sounds like its almost time to break out the cast net then. Where abouts are the cement banks cuzza? When there on always see people chasing them near the road bridge in the deep hole.

chemmy
13-11-2005, 10:04 PM
are greasies bad tasting prawns???

rajawolf
14-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Dont think there is any bad tasting prawns...well Coles sometimes sells them..!! ;)

outsiderskip
14-11-2005, 05:22 AM
greasies
best tasting prawn
not so chewy goes down good with a drop

cheers pete

Fish_Lightning
14-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Are the cement banks the western side of the pine river bridge? Good to see there are still some around

bigmack
14-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Do the prawns in Qld run out to sea on the runout tide during the dark periods? This is what they do down in New South Wales Estuaries.

Unless the prawns are in a landlocked lake - you wait for the dark - sit on the river and scoop them as the run out to see.

Can somebody let me know or give me an opinion on this for Noosa and Maroochydore Rivers.

the majority of prawns from south caost lake fisheries are Greasybacks, mixed with school and tiger pranws. Would be good to get into them up here.

Thanks
Phill

cabfisher
14-11-2005, 10:11 AM
What about the mouth of Cabbage tree Creek I used to see peaple with cast nets there when the prawns were on ?but that was twenty years ago when I was in there on my Yacht that I had then. Oh Remories
was good Oh Hum . Cheers Harry

madman1
14-11-2005, 02:19 PM
There is a green buoy in between the concrete blocks and Murrumba downs. They were all caught around there. Be careful though as there is something big and sharp about 30 - 40 metres upstream from that buoy. The missus was manouvring the boat when we hit it and sent me t!t up..

Would have been a funny sight. No broken bones or gear just spilt some of that prescious XXXX Gold.

Cheers

Mark

Fishin_Dan
14-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Thats the way mate! Get the missus to drive so you can booze it up! ;D If you need a drinky deckie let me know!!! HA HA HA HA!!!

Just_chips
14-11-2005, 03:05 PM
I think that is actually an old sunken barge up there, the green marker is so that you don't go crashing in to it. Very dangerous spot to be throwing a cast net, I have seen more than a few nets come to greif here :-[, it is just so hard to resist though when you start pulling a few prawns up though.

Cheers Kev

DALEPRICE
14-11-2005, 04:02 PM
was up their myself just last week
without a prawn to be found!!
i did notice that the prawna is working
again so something must be happing.
if you have a good look around that green
marker when the prawns are running you will
be surprised at what you can catch ;)

cuzzamundi
14-11-2005, 05:20 PM
gday folks,

land based - the cement banks are around the corner from the sunken barge theyre talking about. there's a green buoy near where the barge is. once you hit the green buoy, go upstream, go around the right hand bend and they start there on the right. someone off here told me where they were. kingtin told me about the barge.

hope the prawns keep goen for when i get back up!

cheers,

cuzza

bigmack
16-11-2005, 12:29 PM
can someone tell me what to look for - do the prawns rise up to the surface and ripple or make any effect in the water or is it a matter of just knowing generally where they are and trying a few casts.

Thanks
BM

Scalem
17-11-2005, 10:11 PM
BigMack,

Generally, if there are enough prawns to make it worth throwing a cast net over them you will see them "flicking" across the water as your boat approaches them. Look for action closer to the banks where your boat wash is splashing at trolling speed, off the plane - but that's if they are in shallow water. In deeper water from 5 meters to about 10 mtrs you will need a fairly good sounder. What you are looking for is what is decribed as seeing a shower of rain off in the distance, where you see verticle lines of rain. The more lines bunched up on the sounder, the more prawns there are. I am still working on this one because I have not had a good prawning season since buying a new Lowrance, but the best outing I ever had it didn't matter about the sounder. They were skipping across the water and thumping into my boat in about 5 mtrs of water. 9.5 KG that day!!

Good Luck
Scalem

bigmack
18-11-2005, 09:43 AM
thnks very much scalem -

kingcobe
18-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Yep, be wary of that barge at low or you'll lose your prop. Stay between the green and the red at anytime after half flood/ebb. On the run you can actually see the water swirling as it passes over the barge. Another tip..........I've seen people tied up to that bouy whilst chucking and although you're well clear of the barge if you do, there are still some big snags just downtide of it and I have lost a couple of nets and an anchor there. It's also illegal [smiley=devil.gif] [smiley=evilgrin.gif]The prawns and the big mullet make it worthwhile to me though, and I have it pretty sussed now, just where the snags are. I'll still stick to cheap nets though. Big baits and you'll have some fun with pike eels. Anytime the tide is at full pelt, you will pull plenty of herring also. Slack water and everything seems to bugger off.......but where to :-/ It's not that they've just stopped feeding 'cause you would still pull 'em in the net [smiley=huh2.gif]

The X marker a couple of hundred metres further down is also a place to try. You can see a dark patch at low which is shingle.......very rare amongst all that mud. The mullet seem to "play" there and with it being shallow you stand a better chance of 'em not escaping under, as the net sinks. The beauty of that spot is that you can fish and keep an eye on your pots for a good length of the bank.

cheers

kev

blaze
18-11-2005, 05:56 PM
mmmmm did log out again kev, do ya feel any younger. be nice to be that young with experience of someone slightly older
cheers
blaze

bidkev
18-11-2005, 07:52 PM
mmmmm did log out again kev, do ya feel any younger. be nice to be that young with experience of someone slightly older
cheers
blaze

Yeah mate. he dashed off to the Blue Light disco and left himself logged on. Tarted himself up like a 16yr old on the razzle ;D Think I'll ask him if he scored ;) ;D

kev