PDA

View Full Version : Fraser

team_mongo
16-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Getting back into it, after a one year break.

Was up a fraser for a couple of days, fished the breaksea spit for one morning, the rest in the bay and at rooneys.

I was after those big fraser GTs on poppers. After about hour of popping, I got blasted by a huge GT that blew me off in less than 20secs on 12kg of drag. Got a couple of follows but no takers. Then finally hooked up. The water was millpond smooth, and a huge hole appeared where my popper was. After last time I had turned the drag up to 14kg, which was almost too much. I had to squat to balance the load. After a 5 minute tug of war and a couple of quick burst towards the reef, it popped up beside the boat. Tried to weigh it, but my scales bottomed out at 30kg. A couple of quick pics and back in the water. It swam off like nothing had happened.

The rest of the trip was trying to get a billie off Rooneys. Lots of bait and the stacks of Mac tuna and Watsons leaping bonito. Got a couple of good sized spotties, but no schools of them yet.

Also got blown away jigging. My jig rod will never be the same again!

Cheers
George

PS Scottie dont say I dont call you!

darryl_l
16-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Congrats on a good GT there George.

We spent a week over there not long ago and although there were huge bait schools we ran into nothing but clean water with the pushers. If it had not been for the casting at mack tunas to break up the monotony it would have been hard to take.

We are heading up that way again over New Year to try again. Hope I run in to some of them there GTs

Darryl L

kleiny
16-11-2005, 03:00 PM
where did you get the gt, at breaksea ??
or at rooney's.
have tried to chase them at rooney's but only got a 5-6kg tea leaf travally
kleiny

vertico
16-11-2005, 03:22 PM
very bloody nice GT you got there George
congrats
sean

manacubus
16-11-2005, 03:25 PM
What a stellar shot (and fish!) :o

jeffo
16-11-2005, 04:40 PM
got one eh ;) ;D

morty103
16-11-2005, 06:10 PM
:o great fish, and a nice photo

Scott15
16-11-2005, 06:16 PM
bloody fantastic!!! well done

fritzy
16-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Holly Molely,
I thought we had caught some good GT's. Mine were live bait size compared to that. Congratulations. PS. What type of poppers were you using??
Cheers Fritzy

Hookem_Herby
17-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Fantastic fish George!!! :)
I thought you might've gone into retirement. :o :P
We haven't heard from you in a while .... nice comeback! ;D ;)

Herby

Always_offshore
17-11-2005, 09:02 AM
Mate, don,t know whats bigger. the fish or ya grin. ;D Bloody nice fish!

Iron_Prostate
17-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Nice fish mate.

When are we going out next????

Mick

manacubus
17-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Oh yeah, meant to ask, what reel were you popping with that could exert 14kg of drag? Looks like a big Stella 10000 in the pic. Am I right?

bigmack
17-11-2005, 10:57 AM
brough to your knees' just to keep balanced - yeoww thats some fish.

just amazing the beasties that live in the ocean...............long may it continue!

Imagine what these places must have been like 60 years or more ago?

fantastic picture mate

Cheers
BM

goona
17-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Hey George great fish. Where did you launch from or did you go out from Harvey Bay. What depth of water were you fisihing in and was it reefy bottom were you caught the GT.

Once again awsome fish.

duckbill
17-11-2005, 03:16 PM
George

You is the man [smiley=laola.gif] [smiley=laola.gif]

Send me a PM next time you need a deckie, I'd be happy to come along ;) ;) ;)

kws
17-11-2005, 03:30 PM
hi george

great fish mate,very few fish to beat that on poppers.tell me,what depth water were you jigging when you got blown away?do you reckon they were amberjacks?

kevin

chemmy
17-11-2005, 03:37 PM
can someone tell mewhy they are called GIANT trevaly ;D ;D ;D

Bonesy
17-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Hey George,
Thats one big GT you caught :o :o :o

Bonesy [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

JB
17-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Good to see you back george, i still remember the solo marlin effort from last year.

Top GT

Jason

flickflack
17-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Top fish mate, definately on top of my list of things to do!!!! ;D

matt_w
17-11-2005, 05:18 PM
nice fish looks like really good weather good stuff

jackash
18-11-2005, 03:52 PM
Great fish mate, bet the take was awesome with the popper. Well done.
cheers
Jackash

lukesnapper
18-11-2005, 06:37 PM
u the man george! that GT is huuugggee!! :o

team_mongo
18-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Thanks Guys,

Seriously the one I got toasted by was a fair bit bigger! :(

Klieny, the fish was caught at the breaksea spit.
Fritzy, the fish was caught on a bills bug 150 popper. I have had success with OK poppers, River2sea dumbell, Torpedo, Lively lures big GT. Some are in the pic.
Mick, when the time is right...grasshopper we'll head out after some billies.
Manacubus, The reel is a STL10000FA. 14kg is no probs for that reel, the problem you have is holding on!
Goona, I headed out of urangan, and camped at wathumba (25nm) and then to rooneys (15nm) and then onto breaksea spit. The fishing starts at about 15nm from rooneys. The shallow reefs are about 10-20m deep.
KWS, they were almaco amberjack. I trolled skirts over the top of a pinnacle and had a double strike, where I saw one about 15kg. It was over pretty quick, 2 pakulas stuck on the bottom. I destroyed a jigging rod, trying to lift them of the shallow pinnacle. Bastards! >:(

cheers
George

Why-ting
18-11-2005, 07:09 PM
great fish mate! I was wondering why u remove the back treble and replace it with a blade?

team_mongo
19-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Why-ting,

I put blades on the back to increase drag on the rear. The problem with big poppers is they need a lot of power to make a big boof. Sometimes the popper blows out, particularly in roughj conditions, and comes flying back, decreasing time in the water and chances of raising a fish. The drag on the rear decreases this and makes it track and pop much better.

Some of the japanese poppers have a metal shield or "parachute" on the rear just for this purpose.

The other plus is it adds flash, which helps raise fish.

Cheers
George

Ollie_Summerfield
21-11-2005, 04:34 AM
Hey George good to see you are out fishing again. Was that fish from Mongo XT?
This is what could have been last year! Did you have a problem with the Daiwa as I see you have changed? (I hear there is a new 2006 Stella on the way!)
Work is ruling my life at present but I may be in Melbourne for a wedding in March.
Take care
ollie