PDA

View Full Version : BEST COD OFF LAND (now has pics)

ON-THE-CHEW
15-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Spent this weekend fishing a canal near a mate of mine. Very slow fishing averaged three or four runs and one landed fish per 3 hour sitting. Started saturday morning 3 kg trevally, three or four runs but couldn't sink the hook. Saturday arvo three or four more runs again, one fish landed 70cm giant herring. Got a good run just before dark played the fish for about 5 minutes big runs and stuck to the bottom, thought it might have been another trevor. Got the fish to about two metres out from the bank net ready, saw an orange flash, was disappointed thought I had a ray then all of a sudden there it was the biggest jack I had ever seen it would have been about 65cms. Then with a flick of its tail it was gone. Some how after being hooked for at least five minutes it had spat the hook. After this I went home and decided never to fish again.

This didn't last long 430 the next morning we were out there again. Same thing again three hours, three or four runs one landed fish 60cm giant herring. Sunday afternoon went out again, still live baiting, a few more runs but still only one hookup. The fish took a big run then a couple of little ones. Then ...snag.... well thats what we thought, every one felt the line all agreed snag, so my dads mate tried to pull the snag off but it was still coming in but very heavy and very slowly. So we thought he was pulling in a branch or something then all of a sudden it took a few short runs. This was no snag, ray came to mind again another five minutes of trying to drag this thing in out of the depths came a ninety centimetre ten kilo esturary cod we quickly rushed around took a couple of photos and let her go.

Overall not a lot of fish but a couple of near misses and a couple good fish. Any ten kilo fish, and monster jacks land based makes it a successfull fishing trip and worth waiting for that chance of the big one. <>< <>< <><

Sorry no photos yet will have them by the end of the week.

Hookem_Herby
15-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Great read and story! I had a similar w.e. got blown awat a few times by what I thought were big trevors or jacks. Managed to land a nice flatty and trevor so not all was lost. :P
Can't wait to see the pics.

Herby

p.s. Fishing in the canals, boats and structure are always a problem I find, so do you fish heavy? with no or very tight drag? Do you use mono or braid? Cheers.

Fishin_Dan
15-11-2005, 12:32 PM
Patience obviously paid off for you mate!!!

What area is this roughly in?

Sounds like you had some interesting times though... Hope you had some booze to keep you going in between runs though... ;)

morty103
15-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Well done mate
Shame about the jack, that wouldve been an absolute trophy
Morty

ON-THE-CHEW
15-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Hookem_Herby - This canal has no boats just what ever structure is on the bottom. Fished with 15 to 20lb mono, very light drag and circle hooks. Still cant understand why with about 20 runs 4 hook ups. Ah well it ended up being all good but would have loved to have landed that jack. <>< <>< <><

Fishin_Dan - North of brisbane.........

cuzzamundi
15-11-2005, 01:32 PM
gday on the chew,

excellent stuff mate! bloody fantastic cod - cant wait to see the pics. and the jack - i know that feeling, devasation!!!! mate i have the same problem actually hooking them when im live baiting. dunno what it is. but yeah, its inconsistent. what livies were you using? what size hooks? could have something to do with it. also, was it in the scarborough canals? or further north? not wanting your exact location mate, just the vicinity. thanks heaps mate and let us know.

cheers,

cuzza

ON-THE-CHEW
15-11-2005, 01:40 PM
We were using between 4 O and 7 O hooks, with 4 to 5 inch mullet, we weren't just going for jacks otherwise might have tried smaller hooks. North of scarborough but don't really want to go into much detail than that as you don't find to many land based spots that you can catch fish like this. sorry.

Az
15-11-2005, 02:11 PM
After this I went home and decided never to fish again.

;D ;D

know that feeling all too well, congrats mate, that is some pretty impressive results for landbased fishing, can't wait to see the pics!

NeMo84
15-11-2005, 02:18 PM
i know what u mean, good landbased spots are absolute treasures, cant wait to see the pic of the cod and very sorry to hear about the jack, that would have really hurt...good luck on future trips ;)

Carlos.

Scott15
15-11-2005, 03:50 PM
sounds like fun, pitty about the jack eh

Jay_S
15-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Great work, a ten kg cod thats adleast got to make you happy. :) :)
If you keep trying you might get that Jack next time. ;)

Jay [smiley=bandana.gif]

Duyz72
15-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Was up fishing at Ayr a few years ago for barra with ex-GF's dad up near the weir wall. After a few casts, snag.
Tried the tackle back etc, well after 20 mins of trying all manner of devious plans he decides it's one of his best lures so he ain't gonna just cut the line and was going to go swim out for it.
Hang on I said, it's slowly coming in (real slow) eventually get it to shore . . . . Shark! Couldn't believe a shark froze up in the water like that.

Needless to say he was happy he didn't go for the swim!

NeMo84
15-11-2005, 07:04 PM
froze up in the water?whaddaya mean?

Duyz72
16-11-2005, 03:07 PM
Froze up, as in did not move.

lukesnapper
18-11-2005, 10:48 AM
that jack sounds unreal. i woulda said the same thing about not fishin again! good to hear ure back out the next day!

MarshMan
19-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Fantastic Estuary Cod in anyone's book!! :)

Looking forward to a picture of the Cod. Well Done mate!

ON-THE-CHEW
19-11-2005, 10:05 PM
HARROLD'S COD

ON-THE-CHEW
19-11-2005, 10:05 PM
COD ON BRAG MAT (NOT REAL STRAIGHT)

ON-THE-CHEW
19-11-2005, 10:06 PM
HARROLD'S TREVOR

cuzzamundi
19-11-2005, 10:49 PM
bloody great catches there, well done!

cheers,

cuzza

cuzzamundi
19-11-2005, 10:50 PM
btw, what gear were you using mate? line class, hooks etc.
cheers,

cuzza

damons33
20-11-2005, 10:14 AM
love your work!
:)
damon

ON-THE-CHEW
20-11-2005, 06:03 PM
I think harrold had about 15 to 20lb line with a 4 0 hook.

land_based
20-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Thats awesome mate! well done

Hookem_Herby
21-11-2005, 06:27 AM
Awesome!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif]
[smiley=dankk2.gif]
Herby