PDA

View Full Version : Pine cattie session.

Just_chips
20-11-2005, 05:29 PM
I took the kids down to the Pine today in the hope of catching something edible but to no avail :(. In some respects the trip was a success because my eldest (8yo) wanted to try live baiting. So after many painful hours teaching him to throw a cast net on sat arvo and the another hour or so chasing poddies this morning we finally got enough to use for bait. They were just that perfect size all about 4 or 5 inches how come I can never find this size bait when I need them :-?). Anyway we drifted these down next to the sunken barge near castle hill only to have each and every one mauled by catfish which didn't worry Braydn as they pull hard enough to put a smile on his face. My other two were using yabbies and catching catties aswell just a different size class. I didn't really (or expect) the opportunity to have fish today but that's what happens if you're silly enough to take 3 kids out fishing in a tinny.

Oh well a day out is better than sitting at home all day, maybe next time.

No photos today as I refuse to take photos of catfish no matter how big they are :)

Cheers Kev

Any_Weather
20-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Mate good to see the kids out catching something. Doesnt take any special kind of fish to keep them interested as long as they are catching something. I am sure you will appreciate the time you spend teaching them now when they get older and are out there teaching you a thing or two. Good on you mate and tight lines
Lee

cuzzamundi
20-11-2005, 09:45 PM
bloody shame bout the catties mate. crikes theyre thick down there! surprised no cod jumped on. then again, the vermnin are quick too.

cuzza

where'd you get the poddies mate? what phase of the tide?

onionpants
20-11-2005, 10:20 PM
chips,

Were they fork tailed or eel tailed catfish?

Chris

land_based
20-11-2005, 10:37 PM
They would have been fork tailed catties. Theres some real big ones up there, can become quite the pest when you pull up to a spot amongst the mangroves for a quiet fish and you get swarmed by them.

all the same good report mate!

slacky
20-11-2005, 10:49 PM
GOOD TO SEE THE KIDS ENJOYING THEMSELVES.oops.Mine love to get out in the boat also.I think all kids should experience it.
MY 2 girls 5&7 love fishing and have become quite
good at fighting fish from schoolies to gar fish.They cant through the castnet yet,but they do help with the anchore.love it slacky

Just_chips
21-11-2005, 07:00 AM
onionpants - they were fork-tailed (blue) catfish.
Cuzza - got the poddies right up in a quiet little spot in a couple of feet of water in the south pine.
Slacky - He can't quite throw the cast net yet either. The mullet were so thick that you could have walked on em, he snagged 1 from about ten shots and then I stepped in to get things moving so we could go fishing and got 15 in 1 cast. He was just stoked by the fact that he got 1 :)

Cheers Kev