PDA

View Full Version : The Pin Saturday 19th Overnighter

Black_Rat
21-11-2005, 10:20 AM
I headed out at lunch time with my cousin and one of his mates and started of fishing the mouth of the Logan River, an area I hadn't fished before but my cousin insisted we give it a go. With no knowledge of the area we only saw a few undersized bream come aboard after about an hour so we headed out of the river mouth and did some drifting from out in front of the mouth down to the powerlines for another hour or so with only a few small flatties comming aboard. #:( Found some nice drop offs in the area which showed fish holding but no hook ups whilst drifting so we marked them and decided to move on.

Did some further drifting over the sandflats at the Slipping Sands for no luck again #>:( Did some more drifting down along the Northern side of Short Island for a few undersized fish again #>:( >:( On one of the drifts picked up a nice 33cm squire #>:( thrown back arrrrggg...... My cousin dropped a monster flattie at the side of the boat #>:( on one of the drifts, he didn't even have time to call for the net, took one look at his head #;D and she shook her head and spat hook #:'(

We were fishing with fresh prawns, mullet, beach worms and pilchards with little luck so we decided to pump some yabbies just before sunset with the anticipation for some better action on the incomming tide #::) Started fishing the tip of short for no action so headed of after a couple of hours and fished a place were I caught a nice Jew last year #::) Well the jew have well and truley moved on #;D now dominated by stingrays and catfish #::) ;D :-[ every now and then a rod would load up and line start peeling of the reel, Jewie #:D ...no stingray ! >:( Caught about 10 of them and about the same in bloody catties #:-[

By this time the water in the whole area was like a sheet of glass and quite errie. Moved on from stingray alley #>:( to a sand bank to try for some XOS whiting as the moon rose. Managed to get 4 keepers in about 10 mins #:D then they left #>:(

So at 2am with the water glassed out, fish not biting and mozzies getting cheekier we dicided to pull the pin on the Pin #::)

A disappointing trip overall (thats fishing) but found some new ground for the next trip #:)

Damo.

Sorry no pics nothing worth showing #>:(

Why-ting
21-11-2005, 04:49 PM
lot of >:( faces there damo hope you've cheered up a bit mate. always gota have days that bring us back down to earth. better luck next time ;)

stu68
21-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Yep sounds like some of my overnighter at the pin.Than on some trips everything comes together and it makes it all worth while. That"s the great thing about fishing,
I"m sure you"ll brain them next time. Still good report. Keep"em coming
Cheers

John_R
21-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi Damo

We were down there early Sunday. Tried around the bar at dawn - nothing >:( Pumped some yabbies and tried Short bank - nothing >:( Puts some pots in Cobby passage - nothing >:( Drifted around off Slipping Sands for a 35cm squire, legal bream we tossed back and a couple of bust offs 8-) Beaut day out on the water but everyone else was out there as well. Drifting around Slipping Sands we were passed by about 100 boats - all different types - and a flock of angry jet skis.

Ended up back in the main channel near Tabby tabby for a quick few drifts and got four whiting and a bream.

A nice day on the water but not the place to go if you want to catch fish.

Do you take that Formosa offshore?

Regards

John

vertico
21-11-2005, 07:42 PM
done plenty of over nighters at the pin with not much success
the effort is there and you will succeed eventually

Jiggit
21-11-2005, 07:50 PM
atleast u gave it a reel good crack at it . sounds like an awesome day on the water anyhow as that is my exact route to the pin...

James_V17L
21-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I watched a guy land an absolute horse of a jew sat arvo down near the pin bar...we got nothing worth talking about,but really did enjoy being down the pin..beautiful part of the world...did more tubing with the kids than fishing over the 2 days...camped at the northern bedrooms..sat night was so still..camp fire,BBQ ,plenty of Bundy,good company..lifes great..

skippa
21-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Sounds like you had a good weekend James.

Still have to organise a camp trip with the families, might have to be after Xmas now tho.

Damo,

Mate your not on your own buddy, but hey if ya don't have a ordinary trip how can you compare a good one ::)
keep at it, its still better than being at work or mowing the lawns. ;)

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

James_V17L
22-11-2005, 07:35 AM
Sounds the go Tony..we will be there for a few days just after christmas..depends on work...or maybe Hervey Bay again if I can
swing it..

Black_Rat
22-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Do you take that Formosa offshore?
John

Only once so far off the Gold Coast (borowed an EPIRB) :) plenty of times into Moreton Bay just been slack really with the offshore fishing ::) still waiting on an EPIRB my cousin promised me 6 months ago for building a fence for him ::) ;D but he has promised me it before Christmas :D & with four weeks off over X-mas bound to jag a good day for offshore ;)

Damo

Black_Rat
22-11-2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks fellas :D of all the trips we've done it would have to have been the least productive but it beats been stuck on the couch watching the idiot box (unless it's about fishing) ;D
Damo

Gbanger
22-11-2005, 04:25 PM
bad luck damo, fishing will never be as good now we're accustomed to swaines...

took the bluefin out the seaway on saturday.. was expecting it to be a bigger deal...