PDA

View Full Version : Land based Bronze Whalers

land_based
01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Caught these two last night land based, Fisheries officers told me they were bronze whalers, ive never caught them beofre so i took there word for it. Awesome fighting and more to the point great eating. I got busted off another 10 times atleast some chewing threw wire trace and some straightening gamakatsu hooks >:( Got a really huge one close expected to be around 6 foot but busted me off at the last minute, I wouldnt have kept him anyway as i already had my feed for the night. I wasnt really targeting them to begin with as i didn't think there would be any at this spot as i regularly see people swimming there and have never seen any sharks. A bloke that i was talking to at the spot reckons he spotted a 7 foot tiger a week before!!!!

fishingnottake
02-12-2005, 12:03 AM
where were you?

Toppy
02-12-2005, 08:43 AM
They should start to thickening up in the rivers now, so expect to catch more of them!

FOOCKCHUCKER
02-12-2005, 08:44 AM
as a surfer i have a buddist approach to the man in the grey suit i don"t eat him and HOPEFULLY he wont eat me i here there great for fish and chips though well done they make a great account for themselves on light tackle . foockchucker.

cuzzamundi
02-12-2005, 12:08 PM
great effort land_based. yeah, where was that? somewhere near shorncliffe? great effort mate. what gear did you use? well doine!!

cheers,

cuzza

cuzzamundi
02-12-2005, 12:09 PM
oh yeah, what did you use for bait mate?

cuzza

fishomatic
02-12-2005, 12:44 PM
What were you targeting?
Matt

land_based
02-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I was using live herring the night before and they were running with that but the trick seems to be to buy some fresh mullet from your local fish shop, and i injected it up the bum with tuna oil and pumped him till he was fat with it. The others i just filleted the mullet and marinated it in tuna oil. Seemed to get alot of the bigger sharks on this bait instead of the herring and not so many grinners. Used this on a two hook rig, top hook was a 4/0 vmc live bait hook down to a 5/0 mustard hoodlum hook. All hooks have to be attached with wire - ive lost atleast 15 sharks over the past 2 weeks chasing them with up to 50 kg mono they simply cut through it in a matter of seconds and you end up mighty pissed off. I was using a pen 330 gti and another little pen Seaboy overhead. Both were spooled with around 6-8kg line (not enough). Im heading out this week to spool them both with 10 - 15kg braid.
Baits have to be suspended under a baloon and floated out. With this method you are really relying on the wind to swing your way as tidal flow doesnt help much. I have a range of spots i fish them but when ballooning some of them may just be out of the question.

rob

land_based
02-12-2005, 01:04 PM
At the beggining i was targeting school mackeral with a pillie.

jeffo
02-12-2005, 03:50 PM
the bigger one looks like a bull shark (river whaler) ,the smaller looks like a black tip??

mr_phishy
02-12-2005, 04:00 PM
small one is definatly not a bronzie, more like a little black tip reefie, maybe the big one is though..

big_steve001
02-12-2005, 06:42 PM
yep the smaller one is definately a black tip, you can even see the nose is alot more pointier than the actual bronzy to the left of it.

cuzzamundi
03-12-2005, 12:06 AM
one on the left is a brozie, not a bully. dunno bout one on the right - maybe blacktip. havent caught one before so cant tell. did you get my pm land based?

cuzza