PDA

View Full Version : straddie trip report

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Posting late because of the friggin’ flu – still coughing oysters damn-it.

Got back Friday arvo from North Straddie after helping watch over a pack of keen kids wet a line for a couple of days in some fairly uncomfortable beach weather (for first timers).

The strong northerlies & the ever present thunderstorms kept us wet & guessing. They were fishing nights & early mornings (3am) & collecting bait & getting grumpy by day.

The score (only noteables) …

Best fish a 69cm bartail flathead – biggest I’ve ever seen pulled from the surf & a genuine 69cm, no tail clipping & some smaller bartails in the schooling range. Onya Jane !

A couple of 2kg+ (50cm+) tailor wed night with 2 smaller fish Thursday night. Well done James - he won a decent kitty of prize money for his efforts. A line in the water & a lot of patience always wins.

A couple of good tarwhine & bream. Not a whiting seen & all dart were very small - but one guy had a #couple of livies monstered Thursday morning by big greenbacks / jew at a nice hole near GN drive, both times the trace broke off - not bitten thru.

Send me a private PM for stingray catching tips – the only fishing I did was Thursday night & all I could waste some excellent student caught worms on were the flat buggers.
Those phantom first runs – its hard to pick the diff…

The northern end beach of main is very formless (for straddie). A lot of sand has been shifted over the other side of the island (deadmans / flinders) making 4WD travel on main near impossible on main beach at large moon high tides as the water laps a small cliff at the dune edge. Beach worms are abundant – not that I can catch them – some kids on their second go catch ‘em – after 10 years I still can’t.

Not a poddy mullet in sight with the northerlies blowing…

I’ll be back in 10 days, without the pack in tow to do some serious work.

seeyainthesurf,.
chris

Lone_Wolf
04-12-2005, 09:23 PM
well well well "Teach", now that school is out maybe you can come and play with us big kids hey?? ;DThose old greenbacks seem to follow you no matter what the season, might be the smelly ol' wading bag. What did you get the tailor on?
Mate when are you officially off? Crazy Horse has scored a day job so I have lost my fishing buddy just at the wrong time. Hitting the bay this week if you are interested?? # ;)

straddie
04-12-2005, 10:05 PM
The dreaded lurgy takes some of the fun but of it, but seeing the kids go hard at 3 am in the morning must have brought a smile to your face.

The beach must have been pounded by the big swell on the moon, I was over there the Monday after and my chin dropped when I saw the beach it was very ordinary.

Good to see they got some good fish for the effort they put in. I was hoping you were still there yesterday with the s/wester, might have helped the cause a bit more than the northerlies. Still 2kg+ tailor would have had their eyes wide open and keen for more.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-12-2005, 07:15 AM
What did you get the tailor on? ...

Mate when are you officially off? Crazy Horse has scored a day job so I have lost my fishing buddy just at the wrong time. Hitting the bay this week if you are interested?? ;)

T T T..TAILOR ... I didn't - the others did. As I said I only fished a bait Thursday night for jew - big strings of worm.

I'll let you know - at the moment I still have pus oozoing, dripping & spluting from every orrifice in my head !!!

The dreaded lurgy takes some of the fun but of it, but seeing the kids go hard at 3 am in the morning must have brought a smile to your face.

The beach must have been pounded by the big swell on the moon, I was over there the Monday after and my chin dropped when I saw the beach it was very ordinary.

Good to see they got some good fish for the effort they put in. I was hoping you were still there yesterday with the s/wester, might have helped the cause a bit more than the northerlies. Still 2kg+ tailor would have had their eyes wide open and keen for more.

In the mornings the birds were working tailor schools about 100m beyond the back break - they just didn't come inside - the entrances to the holes simply weren't up to scratch in the bigger swell.

Lone_Wolf
05-12-2005, 07:33 AM
mate are you on hols now? might come for a visit and drink beer in front of you whilst you are feeling miserable and "green" btw salt spray is supposed to be good for summer flu!! ;D