PDA

View Full Version : Jacks, Jewies and flathead in the Coomera.

flickflack
07-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Hi all

I got a phone call at 21h30 on tuesday night from a mate asking me if I was up for a jack fish in the morning. What a question I replied always up for it. I met him at the boat ramp at first light and after getting carried onto the boat by the mossies( definately the last time I wear short pants in the morning.) we were on the water. Made a change from fishing the Tweed,nice to fish a few new spots . We fished the first spot with sp's but no joy so up and off we went to the next spot. Man there are just tons of spots in that waterway were a Jack could be hiding. I started with a popper hoping for a topwater bite after seeing a bit of surface activity. Probably my fourth cast landed right up tight to one of the pontoons and I started a erratic retrieve back to the boat. The lure dissapeared in a shower of spray. I came up tight and wrestled the first red devil to the boat for the morning. After a quick pic back he went. Definately worth the early start. We alternated between softies and poppers but that was it so next spot. Here it was Pats turn and he showed us how with a nice Jewie on a softie. Kelvin and I were busy discussing the scenery and different lures when Pats asking for the net again and out comes jewie no 2. So we decided to stop talking and start fishing. Kelvin pinned two flathead and then I managed another Jack just before it was time to race back to the boat ramp and a mad rush to get to work on time. So the final tally was Kelvin 2 flatties me 2 Jacks and Pat 2 jewies. A morning of 2's and a good day with plenty of bagging the person on the boat that managed to break a rod, we wont mention any names but he isnt to bad at catching Jewies. Here are the pics unfortunately I had to remove some of the background as I was invited on the trip and would really like to be invited again.

flickflack
07-12-2005, 01:31 PM
;)

flickflack
07-12-2005, 01:32 PM
:-X

flickflack
07-12-2005, 01:32 PM
:D

flickflack
07-12-2005, 01:33 PM
:D

cuzzamundi
07-12-2005, 01:43 PM
gday rod!

no matter where you go you always come up trumps! sensational. there isnt a better way to start the day. musta been awesome getting the jack on the popper! im yet to nail one on a popper, but crikes i bet it's the best feeling of all. well done YET again!!

cuzza

lukesnapper
07-12-2005, 02:01 PM
good work rod another good report from u! like cuzza said that must of been an awesome feeling when that jack hit the poper.
mate just curious what fish species do u target in the winter season?

keen_as_mustard
07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Roderick,

Didn't realise it was you in the early morning light but JT and I were the boat (white 400 hornet) that left the ramp just as your mates arrived. We fished similar spots to you (in fact you beat us to one spot so we moved on!) but couldn't land any Jacks. JT got smoke by something he couldn't stop (6lb leader again!) - either Jack or Trevally?

We managed 2 flatties, 2 estuary cod, and dropped a 50cm+ Trevally at the boat. We also saw heaps of surface action, but only pulled 2 cod out from the boils?

We are thinking first light wasn't early enough to start (although it was an hour later for you!)

Marty

flickflack
07-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Marty
I thought it was you guys at the ramp when I said hi, yeah that was the second time we stopped at that spot ,would have definately liked to have been a bit earlier but at least we got a few. The last jack I got was at 9 just before we called it quits. Mate you gotta fish heavier for those fish bud, I was using 20lb leader and 14lb braid and I go very hard from the strike. I havent been dusted once yet and I recon its because I refuse to fish light for them around structure. But hey everyone to their own they are a great fish to catch and its pretty hard to say no when someone says wanna go for a jack fish.

Cheers rod.

keen_as_mustard
07-12-2005, 02:35 PM
...in John's defence he was fishing for Bream when he had 6lb leader on. It is amazing how quickly a guy can tie 14lb leader onto braid when he needs to!

flickflack
07-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeah I am sure, bugger that is always when they will bite. I am sure they sit there and wait. 'Yup he is gonna throw the bream gear lets smash him.' ::)

jackash
07-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Some awesome fish!! No matter where you go you seem to catch them.
Cheers
Jackash

matt20
07-12-2005, 06:14 PM
I went out this morning not far away from the coomera arouns that X mark.... We left late 830 ( i know its out of prime jack time by about 4hrs....) we didnt do any good apart from a heap of moses perch. It was pretty windy which made it hard where we were but its good to see they were caught only around the corner.
Cheers

Why-ting
07-12-2005, 07:24 PM
Well done Rod. wat did ur jacks measure?
Whytey.

flickflack
07-12-2005, 08:05 PM
dunno mate didnt measure them.

gogecko
08-12-2005, 10:33 AM
Nice one Rod,
your showing me up on my local river, and to add insult to injury, your using the same shad as I use, ouch. Well done anyway.

Ive got Fri morning off and I was gunna try Palmy, but now, hmmm, decisions, decisions....

Jay_S
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Excellent work mate :o :o :o
They are some dam good fish you caught ;D

Cheers Jay 8-)

Billo
08-12-2005, 11:23 AM
Hell yeh !!!!
Thats a top day on the water.............good work ;D

flickflack
08-12-2005, 11:57 AM
that is a very pretty piece of water but must get very busy on the wkends. So much structure :o

flattymattyb
08-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Nooooo,

my spots been flickflacked,, Martyz'ed & JT'd all in one day. How are the fish supposed to fall to my stumbling, fumbling presentations now ;D.

Good stuff mate some real nice fish there, it certianly is a good spot, the rain seems to have bought plenty of bait into the area as well,was down there on Sunday for first light and the action on bream and trevally was excellent but no jacks for us. Only 2 weeks till I can get some uninterupted fishing time 5 whole weeks of it ;D.

Cheers
Matty

Black_Rat
08-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Nice haul again #:) #::) by the looks of the first photo the motor needs a bit of a tune-up with all the black smoke in the background #::) ;D ;D ;D

flickflack
08-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Matty

You lucky bugga mate, the poor fish are gonna have a tough time with all that time to fish.

Give em hell. ;D

Franco
08-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Great session Roderick. You finally nailed one on a popper. But I TOLD you not to even bother coz they don't work mate, you just wouldn't listen! ::) ::)

Sorry didn't call you back yesterday mate been a bit busy.
Went down today with Toppy for a look but the session ended early with a fractured electric shearpin on the prop ...... Sheizer!!! >:( >:( [smiley=furious.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

Catch ya soon mate.

danny_Shep
08-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Some great fish there flickflack, must have been pretty impressive getting smashed by a jack on the surface. Great report and some lovely fish

cheers danny shep

Toppy
08-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Hey Flickflack, just thought I'd bring it to your attention that you have something on the lens of the camera!!!! Looks like squid ink, it would pay to clean it before the next trip.haha.
cheers guys, nice fish!
Toppy

simonpp82
08-12-2005, 07:51 PM
your a machine!!!

flickflack
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
toppy

Thanks mate will have to clean it off next time ::) ::) :P
Are you going to post some pics of those Barra you got at Faust.?

Toppy
09-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Yes mate, I'm flat out working at the moment & would like to put a little story together to go with pics.
Toppy

flickflack
09-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Toppy

I have still got those pics here at the shop if you want them Bllainey said he would give you a call about them.

gogecko
10-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Gee ff,
your mates must know that river really well. I was out there 4.30 this morning, (busted off by jackie) and the water temps just risen dramatically this week. Your mates picked the best time - 4 days after the rain, best moon at 1/4, best tide at just on high and fallin.....and best water temp at 27 deg.

They are on the chew in the Coomera. Must be nice to get phone calls from guys who have timing.

cheers
Andrew