PDA

View Full Version : Peel Island disapointment....../ Dumping ground!!!

Mad_fisherman
15-12-2005, 02:56 PM
Well I headed out to peel this morning for a fish. The weather was not to much chop at all..... Anyway I picked up a good Squire and a good Cod amongest other little rubbish. However, I was totally disapointed to find that some trawler or the like was using the ground as a local rubbish tip.

I decided it was time to up anchor and leave, But low and behold I could not get the anchor up so I decided it was time to perswade it with the 80 four stroke, which seem to have released it. On closer inspection and about 30 odd minutes of trying to get the ******* thing up I got it up so i could lock the chain off only to find that it was on an old rusted covered 2 inch wire cable that had managed to get the loop end jammed on my Anchor. I tried to drag the thing up to the bank with the boat so i could un hook it. after another 30 minutes or so i finally got the cable off it was at least a good 40 - 50 meters long to which i had no room to put it in my boat nor could i even think about lifting it any more.

Anyway i am just pissed about the event and I hope the rest of the bay is not used as a dumping ground has anyone else ever had this happen or like to them ???

Well I Got a feed but gee what an adventure to get it!

Merry Christmas Ausfishers!

Cheers

MAD!

Commodore
15-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Hey Mad,
Looks pretty choppy out there, Cheech and I are going out tonight? And yep I have caught plenty of rubbish in the bay:

Green Is: old rod, wine glass, rope, line, crab pot
Mud Is: lots line, rope, 2 anchors and chain

that’s just what comes to mind of late, most of it had good growth on it so over time it just becomes part of the structure, its the stuff like plastics that a reel bad news.

What type of anchor were you using? the reason I ask I always use a reef anchor so if you do get stuck big time the prongs straighten and your off with out to much damage to the bottom.
Cheers,
Chong

MIKOS
15-12-2005, 04:41 PM
mad,

When at mud a couple of months ago I saw a t.v drift past me while i was anchored at dusk.

I would have hated running into that while motoring along at night.

MIKOS

Owen
15-12-2005, 04:58 PM
Well I can understand the TV being there.

Picturing hubby hires houseboat for a weekend of luvin.
Comes out of the shower ready for action to find wifey snuggled up in her flannel pj's watching neighbours.

The rest is history ;D

cheers,
Owen

propdinger
15-12-2005, 05:18 PM
mate was this on the western side of the island if so there is alot of stuff on the bottom cause of the old jetty

HarryO
17-12-2005, 02:40 PM
G'day all..

It can be a real lucky dip out in the paddock, hey..

Freakin amazin how much a 10R15 desert dueller full of
mud can weigh, hey....

(wonder what the chance is of jagging 4 of em with decent tread?)

Harry.

rajawolf
17-12-2005, 03:24 PM
G'day all..

It can be a real lucky dip out in the paddock, hey..

Freakin amazin how much a 10R15 desert dueller full of
mud can weigh, hey....

(wonder what the chance is of jagging 4 of em with decent tread?)

Harry.

Maybe the whole 4X4 is on the bottom..you only hooked the spare ;D ;D :)