PDA

View Full Version : Redcliffe Shallows? Yak Shark

Blue_Escape
16-02-2006, 11:15 AM
This is for Chanquetas......
you know all those squire you're catching are the natural food of Great Whites!!! ;D ;D

Cheers
Blue

p.s. keep lookin' behind you! ;)

Lone_Wolf
16-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Jake's missus catches the squire, he gets the catties and the pike so he should be safe then ;D ;D

chanquetas
16-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for that Blue...thats all I need... :o
I actually enquired about a Shark Shield just yesterday, after being continually busted off by sharks the other day, then seeing them on TV off the Goldie. :-/

Lone_Wolf....I caught one too!!!!! Only she looks better holding them than I do... ;)

Cheers,
Jake

bo_sawyer
16-02-2006, 12:07 PM
mate that gives me the shivers lookin at it.... do you happen to know the location of that pic?

Blue_Escape
16-02-2006, 12:18 PM
mate that gives me the shivers lookin at it.... do you happen to know the location of that pic?

Scarborough Reef.....I've been burleying with pigs blood!!! :o :o

No, just kidding. I believe there was a story about a Yak paddler (natural food of GWS?) off Hawaii being shadowed by a GWS. Not 100% sure it is a "real" photo though...probably PShop. :P

Interesting situation though...do you paddle really really fast or really really slow........ :-/

Blue_Escape
16-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for that Blue...thats all I need... :o

Cheers,
Jake

Nothing personal mate.....just thought this way you might leave a few for me to catch! ;)

Blue

bo_sawyer
16-02-2006, 01:26 PM
its only a bad situation if he left his rods at home ;)

Gigantor
16-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Saw this pic come through recently, as I was getting from everyone that knew I was a kayaker (oh how funny - NOT!). Problem was that I'd seen the original photo, which was of a group of kayakers.

The latest pic has be doctored up with the addition of a rather large shark and the text in the bottom righthand area. If you look closely you can see the smudge marks (bottom righthand quarter) of where the other kayakers once were.

The latest pic is similar to the the one of a shark jumping out of the water at a helicopter near the Golden Gate Bridge, though this one was a much better fake.

Cheers, G.

Poodroo
16-02-2006, 09:48 PM

Scarborough Reef.....I've been burleying with pigs blood!!! :o :o

No, just kidding. I believe there was a story about a Yak paddler (natural food of GWS?) off Hawaii being shadowed by a GWS. Not 100% sure it is a "real" photo though...probably PShop. :P

Interesting situation though...do you paddle really really fast or really really slow........ :-/

Lol..given the same situation with me in that Yak paddler you would see me over-taking speedboats. Amazing how motivated I could be with a GWS tailing me. ;D

Poodroo

Sportfish_5
16-02-2006, 11:22 PM

c:/windows/temp/photoshop ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

chief
17-02-2006, 05:22 AM
mate ,if i were you i'd mount a decent set of trebles off the back of that kayak

bo_sawyer
17-02-2006, 09:14 AM
i guess you cant believe anything you see these days can ya :-/

Dodge41
17-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Here's a real life encounter from the AKFF site

http://com3.runboard.com/baustraliankayakfishingforum.fmainchat.t222

Gigantor
17-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Dodge41,

Interesting story alright.

One thing I have learnt from watching all those shark docos on the Discovery Channel is stay away from seals. They are the favourite food of big Great Whites. The most fritening episode was one by a shark expert who was investigating a rare feeding approach by Great Whites in 3 known seal locations (southern South Africa, South Australia and California USA). He used a fake seal and towed it behind his boat near these seal colonys and videoed GW's launching themselves from under the seal and travelling up to 10 feet into the air.

Checkout the pics on the following link:

http://www.apexpredators.com/store/showCategoriesProducts.asp?categoryID=6

I'd hate to be a kayaker under this.

Cheers,

Gigantor

Dodge41
17-02-2006, 09:11 PM
Gigantor

Yes I saw that Discovery Channel series, and when paddling the yak I think whiting or something else as small, rather than the toothie fellas a couple of meters long under neath the boat ;D

Toppy
18-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Hey Blue, funny pic mate!
The thing is I can relate, after having a sharky experience surfing at North Stradie. I was having a great time surfing Cylinder beach on a sunny day with a mtr of swell & cristal clear water. Suddenly a huge school of sea mullet came around the point straight towards us. We only became worried when the mullet became nervous & the surface of the water began to erupt just 15-20 mtrs from us. Things started to hot up a bit as whaler sharks launched into the air, teeth nashing as they ripped into the sea mullet. Ok time to get out of the water........I thought to myself. We started to paddle the 75mtrs back to the beach ever so slowly, we had to paddle through a deep gutter that seperated the sandbar from the beach. Everything was fine untill the mullet started to shoot under our boards @ a million miles an hour. Mmmmmm..... what makes them do that?
Being a fisherman also, I new the answer to that! :-/ Doh....
Lets just say my arse became waterproof that day ;) & the beat of my heart set a few records as well. It takes real willpower to paddle slow @ a moment like that. Short shallow paddles trying to avoid my hand being mistaken for a mullet was all I could think of, oh yer and what was I going to do if my mate Cliff was attacked? I guess the adrenalin would overtake my brain & sceaming like a big girl might help! ;D
Cliff & I did make it safely to the beach that day & I'm not sure if the look on his face was one of surprise or joy. We had sand between our toes again & had all our fingers & toes.
Just for the record Stradie was voted via a surfer poll that it was the sharkiest place in Aust due to the frequent near miss's & South Oz was voted having largest toothy critters.
cheers
Toppy
Ps. I hope this does'nt put a dampner on the Kayak snapper guys!