PDA

View Full Version : 1770

lippa
17-04-2006, 09:02 PM
headed up to 1770 on thursday night, arriving at 11.45pm. (nothing like a 6hr tow after knocking off work). woke early friday morn to put the pots in and have a fish. headed over to the banks near the bar to drift, after about 10mins i land my 1st fish on soft plastics. a nice little flatty about 35cm. after about an hour we had landed about 10 in all (8 to plastics 2 to bait). amy (the minister for war and finance) seen some birds smashing the water to the entrance to the bar. set up the tld20 and btr6500 with cd18 and blue pilly and trolled through/around some big bait schools. had one strike but dropped it pretty quick. (bugger) check pots, no crabs. headed up to the mouth of toms creek to drift and try our luck again. amy has a massive hit on half pilly big flatty (70-80cm) but dropped it about a meter from the boat. i tried to comfort by saying we would have let it go anyway. number two species for the soft plastics(i'm hooked on 'em now) bloody big ugly sea toad. released unharmed to anoy some other bugger!!! more flattys on sp's, chech pots again, no crab.
saturday, slept in abit but loaded up and out to fish again. met willo (the skiny little builder) at his driveway and asked if he wants to go for a fish. heading up to middle ck was his reply wanna come?. no worries went and checked the pots first 1 solid buck and a nice sandy. unhooked the boat and set off to middle ck. we 1st stopped at eurimbula ck had a fish for a hour or so current was way to fast but pauline (willo's cook) landed a nice dart about 40cm. arrived at middle ck just before low tide WOW this place has to be seen. flicked sp's again and landed a tiger mackeral? great fun on the light gear. willo landed a nice flatty about 55cm. iwalked the banks for about two hours for a total 8 flatty's 1 tiger mackeral and on the last cast a very hungry juvinile moses perch plus numerous bust off and dropped fish.
sunday, we're heading offshore was the cry. stopped at agnes jacks for bait(sorry i didn't intoduce myself tony, you were pretty busy, didn't want to anoy ya' ;) headed through the bar it was about 1.5 mts got out and went "bugger" this and headed back in. >:( drifted over the other side again, no luck. took the short cut through the other little bar (high tide only) and went to urimbula by boat this time. anchored up in "good jack country" had plenty of hits but no fish landed. stopped at the mouth bar looked abit iffy so fished around the front till it got a bit better. headed through the bar but had on stand up on us out the back, air borne but we landed the right side up :o and headed back to round hill creek more flatty's on the sp's. i reakon th sp's counted for at least 10:1 compared to dead baits :) check the pots again, no crabs, pulled the pots in and headed for home. a few thank you's. tony and von at stanage bay marine center for letting us stay at there place at agnes. Willo, cheers mate you and your family gave us a top weekend. tony, great shop mate and top advice. ( don't bring ya bait and crap into town guys shops like tony's deserve our support and the prices are the same any way) and last canoedle (af member) your sp advice was tops, cheers mate!!!

lippa
17-04-2006, 09:06 PM
tiger mackeral? id please

lippa
17-04-2006, 09:09 PM
willo's flatty on sp

lippa
17-04-2006, 09:10 PM
the minister

lippa
17-04-2006, 09:11 PM
hungry little moses

lippa
17-04-2006, 09:13 PM
typical flatty, all were released bar two for a feed, would like to start tagging, anyone now how to get into this?

lippa
17-04-2006, 09:20 PM
did i mention this trip was an anniversery "surprise" for the missus!!!!! ;) :) ;) :D ;D

White_Steenbras
17-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Looks like a yellow fin Pike to me, nasty teeth on them and they destroy the SPs, good fun though!

StevenM
18-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Onya Lippa,

Mate you could have posted the sea toad. Caught my PB up there. It was huge.The mates printed it and had it hanging at my desk for about a year till I changed Jobs

Cheers

Steven

grant6336
18-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Well done Lippa, sounds like you had a good time! Cheers

Jiggit
18-04-2006, 10:22 AM
that pike probably coulda made good barra livie.

lippa
18-04-2006, 09:28 PM
my thoughts were live bait too, but only had the spin rod with me :(

TIM-DONSELAAR
18-04-2006, 10:31 PM
Great report lippa #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

by the look of it there is no shortage of flatties up that way

cheers tim #:D

Wyoming
19-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Lippa - You are a brave man! Taking your deckie on a fishing trip for her surprise aniversary. Sounds a bit like Teasure buying me some perfume for my birthday.

Not likely to happen...
Neil

Canoedle
20-04-2006, 09:21 PM
Very nice report Lippa, glad to hear you had some luck on the SPs, I'll have to take ya up on that trip out in the boat some time. I'm heading up to Cardwell for a week's hols in july too, so may have to convince the missus to spend the night in 1770. Definitely looks like a pike to me, pretty good one too, would have put up a decent fight, they're always good fun when things are quiet, not that you had that problem by the sounds. :)

agnes_jack
21-04-2006, 11:18 AM
G'day Lippa
I thought about it after you left the shop mate, (with the skinny little builder) and figuered it must be you!!
Glad to hear you had a good time mate!!
The flatty's are very thick around here at the moment, been a lot around the 65cm mark. I rekon we are starting to see some result from the releasing of the big females for the last few years. During the breeding season last year there was heaps of fish over 80cm caught, (MOST released >:( )
There was also quite a few over the meter mark!!
I am expecting this season to be huge!!!!

You should try and get back for the M&G in october!!

Regards, Tony