PDA

View Full Version : Cabbage Tree Creek Flathead 6/8/06

Just_chips
06-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Took a mate from work and fellow Ausfisher Shayne (Bates Motel) for a flick around down at Cabbage Tree Creek. The target today was flathead, and the planned tactics were flicking plastics and trolling in between destinations with micro mullets. The wind was playing havoc with our drift out the front so we decided to get out and fish from the banks with the wind at our backs. A quick look around had spirits high with flathead lies everywhere. It wasn't long before Shayne hooked his first fish on a plastic and released a feisty little flatty around the 30-35cm mark. Well it wasn't long before he got the hang of these plastic things and he'd released another couple of fish before I could get in on the act ( I had to give him the thou shalt not outfish the skipper talk) ;) Anyway we caught 6 fish between us in about 45mins but only 1 was legal stretching the tape to 45cm. Time to go for a troll looking for some bigger models but to no avail. Ended up getting another fish of 45cm whilst trolling back up the creek and then another of around 35 out in front of the yacht club. Was a good day despite the wind and everywhere we went we saw people pulling rat flatties, the creek was just lousy with these fellas today.

Total tally for the day:

6 flathead on the plastics (1 kept), 2 flathead on the troll (1 kept), 1 little chopper tailor on the troll released to terrorise baitfish once more.

Cheers Kev

Shayne with the keepers back at the ramp

cuzzamundi
06-08-2006, 06:35 PM
perfect size for eating there kev. between 45 and 55 i reckon. great effort, and great to hear there are lays everywhere! i wish i was there!!

cuzza

Bates_Motel
06-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the day Kev. It was great fun trying those plastics.
Im even more thriled that they worked :D
Could be a sp fanatic coming up ;)

Smailesy
06-08-2006, 10:48 PM
great read kev good day out nice and tasty at that size

White_Steenbras
07-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Enjoy those Flatty's mate, perfect eating size.

Toppy
07-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Thats good news for the flathead classic comp comming up!
Luv to hear possitive stuff about numbers.
Nice work guys
cheers
Toppy