PDA

View Full Version : Southport Bream Hunt

Poodroo
26-08-2006, 05:07 PM
G'day all, being a busy working dad that I am I dedicate at least one day which is on the last weekend of every month to the kids to spend time with them doing whatever it is that they want to do. Well being a fishing nut, I whispered in their ears that we could do some fishing and was very surprised they were all for it. So at 7am this morning we were all packed and on the road and Southport bound. Not being a boat owner as yet we had no choice but to do some land based fishing. The day started off a little hairy after having unpacked all the gear and set up at a nice spot for a bit of fishing when no sooner had we cast the first baits in the water and out of nowhere this diving instructor and two asian pupils came walking down the embankment and straight between us and without a word they waded out into the water in front of us. how friggin rude I thought as I made some angry faces and mumbled some expletives under my breath and gathered up the gear and kids and tried looking for another spot. We didn't travel far and spot number 2 was found. Tide was just turned and outgoing and as soon as the first bait hit the water there was some excitement as my daughter starts to wind frantically whilst yelling "Dad I caught a fish!" and shortly after lands a respectible bream almost legal (Probably looked huge for a kid of 8 years of age). A quick happy snap and it was returned to do some more growing. Rebaited the hook (yes we did it with stinky fingers today) :o and out it goes for another fish. Next thing I know there is another run but this time on my son's rod as well. A double hook up. Wow, the competition amongst these two siblings was getting stiff. Both fish landed and they were too busy lining the fish up side by side to see who caught the biggest bream. Once it was establish my son won that one a quick photo and once again released back to do some growing. At this point the kids were stirring dad and saying "You haven't caught one fish Dad!" (giggle giggle) ;D So not to be outdone I decided to cast out further and no sooner had it hit the water and there was an instant run. First keeper for the day. Was quite a nice bream at 32cms. The fun was halted then because all the local dog owners decided that where we were was the best place to take the dogs for a swim. So off we went yet again to find a place where there would be no dogs. We found a nice spot where we used the last bit of bait up and my daughter caught what she described as a fish that was mangled by a steam roller. You guessed it, she caught a little flounder. Overall it was a great day of bonding with the kids and I hope we will get some more fishing days in in the near furure. Today was the first day my daughter mastered the art of casting all on her own. Way to go.

Poodroo

Poodroo
26-08-2006, 05:10 PM
The double catch

Poodroo
26-08-2006, 05:10 PM
The keeper

Adamy
26-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Good on you Droo!!! Now thats what I call a win win situation.. you get to play with the kids while doing something you love... excellent work! ;) enjoy it mate because as they get older... they may not want to do what you want to do anymore... quite sad really :-/. Is that chicken you're using?? best all round bream bait IMO.

cheers,

Adam

Poodroo
26-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Aha Adam. You have a keen eye for detail. ;) Yes it was chicken but not normal chicken. Brian and I have had a secret thing we do to it to ensure it gets the bites and it never has failed me yet.

Poodroo

Bundy_Burp
26-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Always good to see the young ones down by the water catching a fish looks like they are have a good time of it to .

Bundy 8-)

straddie
26-08-2006, 07:26 PM
3 happy looking vegemites there going by all the grins ;D

Daughter - 2 bream and a sole
Son - 1 bream
Dad - 1 bream

Hmm sounds like another win for the girls :D

iank
26-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Great to see the smile on the kids faces.
Cheers Ian

bidkev
26-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Yeah..........lovely family pics and great that the lass has mastered another fishing skill and outfished dad. Well done mate, but lift your game ok? ;) ;D

kev

Poodroo
26-08-2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah..........lovely family pics and great that the lass has mastered another fishing skill and outfished dad. Well done mate, but lift your game ok? #;) ;D

kev

Lol Kev. Now how nasty would I have been outfishing them on their day? ;D The daughter and son combo did well today I have to admit considering this was only their third attempt at fishing. They love it. :)

Poodroo

serene_lady
26-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Good on you Poodroo, You san see in there faces that they had a good time and I think they will be looking for more than 1 day per month, even so 1 day is better than 0 days. Bob.

Dirty
26-08-2006, 10:08 PM
Poodroo....WOW!!!

Well done dude! Judging by all the smiles... and the catches it was a successful day!

Well done, thats what I call a great and successful day with the kids!

:)

bidkev
26-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Yeah..........lovely family pics and great that the lass has mastered another fishing skill and outfished dad. Well done mate, but lift your game ok? ;) ;D

kev

Lol Kev. Now how nasty would I have been outfishing them on their day? ;D The daughter and son combo did well today I have to admit considering this was only their third attempt at fishing. They love it. :)

Poodroo

And all credit to their dad for making the situation "loveable". I have to admit, that when I first started taking my kids, I was so wrapped up in fishing myself, and insisting that they "get it right" that I took the fun out of it for them. Didn't take me long to find out where I was going wrong as the deckie has a way of making me wake up to myself ;D

kev

Poodroo
27-08-2006, 07:06 AM
And all credit to their dad for making the situation "loveable". I have to admit, that when I first started taking my kids, I was so wrapped up in fishing myself, and insisting that they "get it right" that I took the fun out of it for them. Didn't take me long to find out where I was going wrong as the deckie has a way of making me wake up to myself #;D

kev
Thanks Kev. I can so relate to what you are saying. There were times where frustration got the better of me because kids being kids always show an apparent lack of listening skills at times and not often but sometimes I would be there saying "Keep the rod up, keep the rod still, wind in the slack...HEY ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?" #;D Lucky for me that wasn't very often and they still had a very enjoyable day. I didn't do a lot of fishing myself because I was too busy tutoring #between them.

Poodroo

fritzy
27-08-2006, 10:52 AM
Mate that is sensational!
I know my most enjoyable fishing experiences have been learning the trade from my dad. Still remember him taking hours to teach me how to cast a pillie in the surf on Fraser Island for tailor. Then when i couldn't get out far enough, he would cast out and let me hang on for the ride. Pure MAGIC. I was 8 at the time, am 22 now, and still remember that day like it was yesterday.
Also may remember copping a little bit of an earful when he told me to let a really sizeable fish run... And let it run i did... Letting go of an alvey with a ripper tailor on the end is a surefire way to lose a fish... And end up with 50 metres of birdsnest (about 20 bucks worth of platinum line)... Think dad may have quietly reminded me of these facts at the time...
Cheers Fritzy

Argle
27-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Great report mate, fantastic to see the smiles on the kids faces. Hope to have a few trips like that with my two boys as they get a bit older.
Looks like a few more trips might be in order soon ;)

Cheers and Beers
Scott

Scalem
27-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Aha Adam. You have a keen eye for detail. ;) Yes it was chicken but not normal chicken. Brian and I have had a secret thing we do to it to ensure it gets the bites and it never has failed me yet.

Poodroo

Good fishing there droo, the bream love our blend of chicken down the nerang, never fails! I gave the secret to another guy who was getting frustrated not catching fish since he came out from South Africa. Now he doesn't use anything else for bream ;)

Ray is just so photogenic, that's another great shot of the kids to be locked into the family album!

Scalem

Poodroo
27-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Good fishing there droo, the bream love our blend of chicken down the nerang, never fails! #I gave the secret to another guy who was getting frustrated not catching fish since he came out from South Africa. #Now he doesn't use anything else for bream ;)

Ray is just so photogenic, that's another great shot of the kids to be locked into the family album!

Scalem

Thanks Brian. Yes I know our blend works a treat on the Bream. It is the only time really where I put the placcies away and endure stinky fingers because I know I am on a sure thing when it comes to catching Bream. The kids were all smiles when they were catching their own fish on their own rods so it was hard not to take a nice photo with them holding onto their catches. Camera turned on, aim and shoot... good shot guarranteed. :)

Poodroo