PDA

View Full Version : Canal Trevs and Macks

DazSamFishing
06-11-2006, 08:19 PM
G'day all... Here is my first estuary report!

After a slow week at work and debating whether I should go overseas with the missus I finally came to a decision to stay at home, watch a few movies and read through the recent BNB and QFM mags. Unfortunately, I had to skip the Radio Course by SubZero and run the missus (Sam) to the airport for her departure.

After watching the weather throughout the week I was getting worried about not being able to head out with Scotty (Scottynojack) to chase some fish in the canals of Caloundra and Mooloolaba.

However, the weather granted us a great opportunity to chase some fish!

We met at 4:30am and loaded Scottys' boat with the essentials and first tried out luck in a local canal in Caloundra. We started off flicking plastics which proved fairly slow! After several casts, Scotty hooked into a nice Bream and a small GT followed shortly after. For a good half hour, we drifted around with the aid of Scotty's minn kota and starred at the many multi-million dollar homes that sat along side the river!

We finally decided to throw the metal lures about, and was later rewarded by a decent sized Moses Perch... Which is a new species to my list of metal lure caught fish!

After several casts in the blistering hot sun, I hooked up solidly and my finger was crunched by what we thought was a decent sized trev. After a good fight we saw some colour and according to the length and profile of the fish we both called it a Giant Herring! The fish came closer to the boat and we were surprised that it turned out to be a (broad-barred) Grey Mackerel which was a welcome surprise in any canal!

We were still excited and thought that we should try our luck in Mooloolaba... So the boat went back on the trailer and we drove up to our desired location. We managed to visit the local tackle store and were even more surprised by the report board out the front which read..."13.5kg GT caught today in the Mooloolaba canals". Unbelievable... and good on ya' to the fella that landed that fish!

In went the boat, and we decided to flick the metal lures in hope to catch some trevs. It was about midday and we were amazed by the amount of boats that were out on the water... and easily understood due to the perfect weather conditions and water temp for swimming! Scotty managed to get stuck into a nice GT and brassy trev while I got into another canal mack!

Using 4lb line with 6lb leader it was good fun and the small 2kg outfits we were using got a good workout!

We released all fish, and Scotty was able to put a tag into a couple of fish!

Thanks for the opportunity to fish with ya mate!... Here are some pics fellas'

Daz

DazSamFishing
06-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Another...

DazSamFishing
06-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Another

DazSamFishing
06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
One more...

Scottnojack
06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Daz,

As I have said before, it is a pleasure taking you out fishing. Great report mate, couldn't have said it better myself. Just one thing though, who outfished who??? :-? You got some nice fish but originally we set out to chase Trevs didn't we??? ;D :D Nah just joking mate, I think you got me this trip.

Keep in touch,
Scotty

imnotoriginal
06-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a great day out fellas. Even taking the boat out and launching elsewhere, good dedication ;) Keep up the good work!
Joel

jackextracter
06-11-2006, 10:40 PM
Some nice fish there guys just show you can catch any thing in canals next thing you will be catching tuna.

jackash
07-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Awesome fish fellas! What were those macks doing up there. Have caughty 2 tiny schoolies around the wharf at mooloolaba on placcies but the best went about 40cm, the other was about 10 ::) max....
Great report, Ill be heading up that way in about 3 weeks so hopefully the fish hang around.
Cheers
Jackash

T-roy
07-11-2006, 06:45 AM
hey daz
thats sounds like awsome fun on the bream gear, ive never herd of macks in the canals

TIM-DONSELAAR
07-11-2006, 10:15 AM
Nice fish there guy's...Well Done #;)

Scottnojack..Where did you get those glove type things ?? And are they comfortable to wear ??

cheers tim # :)

Scottnojack
07-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Tim, You can get them at all the bigger tackle stores, I'm pretty sure I got mine from Sundown at Redcliffe but I can't remember. I don't even notice that they are on when wearing them and they certainly make you feel safe about being in the sun all day. I started getting fully covered up when I noticed I had a few spots on me a year or so back. That C word scares me.

Scotty

geoff72
07-11-2006, 10:38 AM
nice fish daz,great storey. well done.

TIM-DONSELAAR
07-11-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks mate..I will have to invest in a pair cos the C word scares me too

cheers tim ;)

For_Steve
07-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Great report Daz. It sounds like you both had a good day on the water and enjoyed catching a few. Macks in the canal - very cool. That would have been some fun on your light gear!

gregdeeth
07-11-2006, 06:54 PM
wow guys, macks and 13kg trevs in cannals, cool to know all those times you think i wonder if you could catch...in a cannal, the area in there

84mick
07-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Nice catch guys! maybe I should have gone up that little bit futher! ;)

Mick.

Jim_Byrne
07-11-2006, 07:29 PM
More macks than some offshore reports! Thats wicked.

Macs up canals seems a bit strange, but strange things always seem to happen when fishing!

Good idea those gloves!

Cheers

Jim

chief
07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
macks in the canal, you fish enough ,you come across some unusual captures. well done fellas . Great report

Scottnojack
07-11-2006, 07:42 PM
84mick the first Mackie we got was actually in Pelican Waters about 200mtrs from the weir. I am always amazed at some of the things you see on fishing trips. It certainly is never boring.

Scotty

White_Steenbras
08-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Great report mate and decision to stay home and fish, nice session on those fun fighting Trevs

Roo
08-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Scotty,
I just got a hat from Go-So. will really cover up the ears and neck ;D ;D
I think i'll get some gloves too. My hands are starting to look a bit old. :o

cheers, Roo

DazSamFishing
08-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Just one thing though, who outfished who??? You got some nice fish but originally we set out to chase Trevs didn't we??? Nah just joking mate, I think you got me this trip.

Hey Scotty,

Didn't I tell you at the start of the day that I plan to target macks... ;D

Daz

Big_Ren
09-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Nice fish there guy's...Well Done #;)

Scottnojack..Where did you get those glove type things ?? And are they comfortable to wear ??

cheers tim # :)

Daz, Scotty

Top pics, top report and awesome fishing guys........and obviously a great passion for the sport.

Tim, the gloves are by the brand "Go So". I bought some at BCF 2 years ago and have used them offshore, in the impoundments etc. You really do not know you're wearing them after a while. They are a beaut investment.

Cheers
Paul

DazSamFishing
09-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Thanks fellas'

I look forward to providing more future reports... Likewise for Scotty too

Make sure you check out the off shore section in the next couple of weeks!

Daz