PDA

View Full Version : jumpinpin w/e 9/10

slyman
12-12-2006, 07:11 PM
a late report thanks to the neighbours widowmaker gum tree cleaning up our phone and internet line.

Made a trip to fish the pin area over the weekend with chris, launching at jacobs well on both days. Again it was a plastics/lures only outing. Windy as, but we fished mainly the leeward side of more open spaces or up out of the wind a little in the waterways. Saturday was a later start, missing the high and arriving on the run out tide, just right to be aiming for some flatties feeding the run off of banks though. Both of us using 110mm flick baits, chris on a resin head and i had a 1/8th jighead, it was maybe ten minutes before I had a nice 39 cm flatty and another just smaller not long after, both returned to the water. Chris had no hits on his plastic at all and then the wind came up so we left for some shelter.

We found a great spot out of the wind with some fallen trees in the water that where holding some schools of butter bream and some larger yellowfins, so we anchored and proceeded to spend the next few hours getting quite a few hits from the yellowfins on the flickbaits both on resin heads this time. Casting them up into the snags, chris managed to land one 27 cm fish and was cleaned up back into the tree by another larger fish. The main current was quick meaning the strike zone was small, as soon as the lure was in quicker water the fish turned around. Lots of casts and quite a few lost plastics. I didn't get any hookups, but i always had fish coming out to have a look. At one stage I had several legal sized fish all hovering around my flickbait only meters from the boat in beautifully clear water, but would one of them take the thing!!!???? Ah well, moved along to a few other spots for no luck then we tied up under some mangroves for lunch. By this time its pretty hot and the cicadas are cranking and something keeps making some noise in the water, so I start throwing out my bright yellow cicada hard body surface out under the overhanging mangroves. Many casts produce some surface boils nearby, during one retrieve, while letting it sit, I saw and felt a fish come up and hit the lure on its side, I only got a brief glimpse of it, it may have been my first jack, but I wont know until next time, he never came back to have another go. Talk about a heart stopping moment though! After that we moved on to other spots, again for nothing, before we decide to hit the first bream spot again before going home only to find the water to low and no fish so home we go.

Sunday on the water just after 5am and we go back to the places we fished the day before, the bream spot doesnt have enough water yet so we try a different spot that didnt have anything on saturday mid-morning, maybe dawn would make a change? Things were quiet just before the high, chris got a dusky on a 4 inch gulp jerk bait which proved too much for his 4lb leader, the line snapping despite a good hookup in the corner of the mouth. Then pretty much at the top of the tide, i get a good hookup and before long I have one very solid dusky beside the boat just cruising happily along, this fish was about 60cms we estimated, this one was also lost when my 10lb leader gave way like chris's did. In the middle of me tying on a heavier leader, chris then hooks up to another huge dusky and he lets it have a few runs hoping to tire it out a bit, in the meantime I've gotten the camera out for a pic, then we lose her too, chris was using the same 10lb i had after retying his line. NOTE TO SELF: REMEMBER LANDING NET.
:-X :-X :-X

Still the pics look pretty good, thats a 4 inch camo jerk bait on a 1/4 jighead in its mouth, we estimated minimum 60cms. Things went a little quiet, then chris manages to boat a 46cm dusky, by this time other boats have turned up so we decide to move on after another half hour or so. Our bream spot never fired like it did the day before, seemed like the yellowfins had moved on and only the little butters were left, but we managed to lift out 3 legal bream during the day around the channels edges. Mr jack never came back to the spot the day before but we did have the living daylights scared out of us in one of the smaller, close-in channels. The surface erupted right next to this tree stump we'd been casting at only minutes earlier and was now right beside us, as we drited by and away from it we cast like mad, and once again the water went mad right beside my brothers flickbait but didnt result in a hook up. We now know where you live Mr Jack, expect a visit from us soon. By the days end we had three bream under 30cms and one 46cm dusky in the esky for dinner and a whole bunch of new spots to visit and things to think about! Another great weekend on the water.

slyman
12-12-2006, 07:12 PM
heres the bag, the measurements wont be right seeing as they'd been sitting in ice all day and were a little bent

geoff72
12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
well done,great couple of fun days.going there next week, hope i can get some of them to

Murph77
12-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Sounds like a good weekend Slyman, well done mate. I know how you feel, I lost a really nice flatty estimated around the 80cm mark at Cabbage Tree Point last Thursday when she rubbed through the leader. Its a trade off though, more hits on the lighter leader but potentially the odd lost fish.

Slient
13-12-2006, 07:08 AM
I like the pic of flattie near top of water... :)
Nice feeds you got...well done mate