PDA

View Full Version : 1HZD- T - SMOKE

SNELLY
06-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Firstly - Good to see a special place for all these types of queries .

Well done Steve #yet again - This board has such a wealth of knowledge.

Ok my query - I have a 92 L/C with a IHZD-T motor. Last year I had to have the fuel pump rebuilt as it was leaking. Since then my vehilce has been blowing excessive amounts of smoke. Why have I noticed - well the cover on my boat gets more dirty than it used to as well as marks on both sides on the boat - I used to only get a small mark fom the edge of my boat cover on the exhaust side. Other people have commented that the vehicle is blowing smoke - Father in law said it was fuel smoke someone else said it was blue. Engine is not using any oil.

I don't know squat about deisels but could the fuel pump need adjusting ie putting in too much fuel.

Looking for your thoughts out there from knowlegdeable diesel people

Thanks in advance SNELLY

blaze
06-04-2004, 09:27 PM
there are two cause for a diesel to blow black smoke
1 blocked air cleaner element
2 fuel pump is over fueled (specilist job) they often do it to gain a little power
cheers
blaze

spindles
07-04-2004, 02:21 AM
I am not a knowlegdeable diesel person but sometimes blue smoke could be dirty fuel filter with diesels. spindles

Big_Kev
07-04-2004, 03:50 AM
Blaze is correct.
If the air cleaner is in good condition it is overfueling.
Simple adjustment by someone in the know.
And if overfueling it will not do the turbo any good when hauling a big load.(boat).
Cheers Kev.

Lachie1
07-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Black smoke from exhaust of a diesel is caused by incomplete combustion of the fuel, whereas blue smoke is from lubricants that find their way into the combustion chambers. If it isn't using any oil than it is probably black smoke. Easy enough to tell but can be properly done with a smokeometer that measures how easily light passes thru a sample of smoke. MOst likely done if you book it in for a service???

With incomplete combustion the fuel system is at fault as Blaze and Kev have said before. Probably too much fuel is bieng delivered to the combustion chambers or it is not bieng sprayed properly. I.E injectors need cleaning or adjusting. ??? The hydrogen in the fuel is easily burnt when sprayed as it mixes easily with air but carbon doesn't mix as easily and comes out as black smoke simialar to when you lilght an oxy torch.

Hope this helps, Lachie

SNELLY
07-04-2004, 08:12 AM
Thanks for your input everyone. I suspected that it may be filters. I have it serviced every 5,000'ks and I have done about 15 since the fuel pump was done up.

Looks like I would be best served to make sure both air and fuel fileters are replaced and then check fuel flow

Thanks again