PDA

View Full Version : COMPRESSION QUESTION ???

CHRIS_aka_GWH
09-04-2004, 01:02 PM
there are two compression set ups for 2.25l Series 3 Landrover.

a 7-1 compression ration & an 8-1 compression ratio.
each has a preferred spark plug gap but will operate using the wrong gap just not as good.

How do I tell what the compression ratio is, if I perhaps... er ... maybe had been so dumb as to throw out the spark plugs that were in it before considering such things?

chris

Sportfish_5
09-04-2004, 06:43 PM
Chris,

Don't know if this helps but the compression ratio is simply the volume above the pistion at BDC divided by the volume above the piston at TDC. You may need to get the serial number of the engine to identify what ratio your engine has. I dont know a lot about these landy S3 engines but seems odd that they could have 2 ratios in one engine unless they have different head gasket thickness. Maybe someone else can enlight us ?

Cheers,

Greg

Gorilla_in_Manila
09-04-2004, 07:49 PM
Or different length conrods, or more height of the piston above the small end bearing. What ever the reason, I'd think the motor serial number and the hand book would tell you which motor you had if the two types of motor look the same. Either that, or the handbook would give you a part number for the spark plugs that matches the motor serial number.

Failing all of this, guess you could just buy two sets of spark plugs, and leave the ones in that make it run the best.
;D

Good luck,
Cheers
Jeff

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-04-2004, 12:48 AM
ta lads & nice pic greg

chris

landy1
10-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Series three landies ran 2 different engines. The earlier ones up to about 78 i think ran a three bearing donk and the later ones ran a five bearing donk. The compression will depend on which engine youve got. If you post up the engine number and or chassis number i can probably find out for you. ive got the manual in front of me. Any other questions give us a bell.
cheers
Mick