PDA

View Full Version : BUGGERED

sooty
05-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Left home friday lunch time for a trip to our favourate Sooty Grunter Saratoga spot. Had a great weekend cauht heaps of fish, great weather. BUT---- coming home my 1990 Nissan Navara 2.7 D developed a rather expensive sounding and very loud noise from under the bonnet, think the oil pump failed and oil light didn't work. Ended up doing the rest of the trip on the RACQ truck with the boat towed behind.
Can't afford a new one so what are my options ?
It has been a great slow old ute never letting me down over the past 4 years, only paid $8000 for it. Do I replace the slow old motor? "RACQ bloke said Very expensive":. Can I repower it and with what?, or get a secondhand motorand where.
I know I will get heaps of advice on buying a toyota or such, but I like my old Navara and it is yhe old $$$$ thing as always.
Thanks Kev

banshee
05-04-2004, 05:23 PM
G'day Sooty,the best people to talk to would be Marks Adaptors,you could send them a fax on (03) 9706 8148.They are in Vic but may have outlets in your area.They do a V6 conversion that uses a Commodore engine and Auto transmission for your vehicle(should be prety reasonable price from a wreckers) the basics you would need from them would be an adaptor plate for your transfer case and engine mount kit.Don't worry about the Toyota people,I too stumbled around in a blind state of ignorance for fifteen years before I saw the light and traded UP to a Landcruiser Recovery Vehicle (GQ Patrol).I hope the above info is of some use to you.

sharkbait
05-04-2004, 06:13 PM
R20 turbo out of a wrecked skyline... ;D she wont be a slug no more!

sominc
05-04-2004, 09:15 PM
I think u will find that the skyline engine is a RB26 DET.

And the engine that will move that navara along will be a RB30. Not turbo charged but the gf's dad has one for a work car and boy dose it move.

Cheers
Tom

blaze
06-04-2004, 03:31 AM
Hi sooty
Its amazing what engines will transplant into others, I run magna engines in my 85 L300 mitsubishi Van. I turn them from an east/west engine (front wheel drive) to a conventional north/south (rear wheel drive engine) by dismantling the bolt on components from one to the other. Timing cover and water pump etc,
As already suggest ring Marks Four wheel drive conversions and also talk to the local JAP INPORT dealer as I reckon you will find a good replacement for about $1000
best of luck
cheers
blaze

paz
07-04-2004, 07:07 AM
to swap out your diesal for a petrol would be a lot of work,,not worth it imho,,end up costing you more than what it would be for a jap import 2.7d,,have a cruise around here...http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/
paz

sooty
08-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replys and info to you all
Will pull the bitch down over Easter and go from there.
So much for the plans over the weekend no fishing
Oh well I guess it could havs been worse at least no one was hurt You can always repair a vehicle
Thanks Kev

Thebuffalo
09-04-2004, 10:30 AM
Sooty if you like the vehicle then spending the extra on a good motor should be worth the investment. I have driven dads Terrano (Nissan) it has the 2.7 turbo Deisel and this motor prformes very well for what it is. If the runnig gear and the car are what you want then what you invest in it will be worth it in the long run, cheaper than a new second hand vehicle. You might find that the motor is worth repairing anyway. Check out exploreoz.com and do a search on your type of vehicleor post a question. You will get good results.

Just my 2c worth.

Good Luck

Thebuffalo

TimNQ
11-04-2004, 06:53 PM
I think u will find that the skyline engine is a RB26 DET.

And the engine that will move that navara along will be a RB30. Not turbo charged but the gf's dad has one for a work car and boy dose it move.

Cheers
Tom

I think you are both way off the mark.
Tim