PDA

View Full Version : 60 series cruiser

poss
21-04-2004, 07:01 AM
Thinking of buying a 60 series cruiser 83 model 4h engine can anyone tell me of any major problems with this model. same as above question sorry.# # # # # #

gr hilly
25-11-2013, 10:51 AM
The 60 series Landcruiser is by far the best cruiser ever built however a4h engine was never a standard donk for these cruiser the 2h diesel and 2f petrol were the norm from 1980 to 1989 the 1980 was a 4speed and then they went 5 speed in 1983 i baught my first hj60 in 1983 and towed a 19c hains hunter twice around ausie 7 trips to shute and 2 to wai racked up980000 klm and then sold it and baught a 89 mod the last of the 60s they are still the best towing cruiser and the leaf springs make a big differance a bit slow for some but i weare a hat and the fuel econ is great in the deisel i have told the mrs she will get $9000.00 for it when i kick the bucket i have done 367000 klms now in it and she,s just run in.all the best hilly

JEWIENEWIE
25-11-2013, 11:08 AM
I had a 2f petrol for years. Best 4by i have ever had reliability wise. Drove that bloody thing around aust without a hick-up. It started missing halfway through the trip in the middle of nowhere and i started to get worried but popped the hood and very happy to find that the ruts on the Gibb River track made a lead jump off, pushed it back on and back in action, gotta love an old school truck......same as above, bit slow but i was in no rush to get anywhere anyway. Just needed to remember to close the side vents in the front everytime a road train came belting down the dirt roads, sorry dull, still havent got that fine dust outta alot of the camping gear..........
JN

PixieAU
25-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Check for rust in the guttering (particulrly if signs of a roof rack). Check A-pillar for cracking (also if signs of a roof rack) and floor pan for rust (from underneath and under the vinyl/carpet). Otherwise a good truck with their own individual quirks.

gr hilly
25-11-2013, 01:21 PM
you only get the rust trouble if you don,t look after them and if you know where the rust problems start then stopping it will be easy. hilly

JEWIENEWIE
26-11-2013, 08:52 AM
Yes and Yes to both the above posts. The body of my cruiser literally fell off the chasis due to rust, such a shame as the motor was still very strong. The above locations for rust was the end for my truck...
JN

shano
21-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Yep agree with the rust problems being the only problems.

gr hilly
21-12-2013, 04:35 PM
i just found a 88 mod just done 300000 klms and has no rust it drives like new the only problem was it had mud tyres and it was in Melbourne and im in Brisbane but you don,t look a gift horse in the i had to get it so i did,a new set of desert duelers you can,t hear them on the road i am a happy happy man.