PDA

View Full Version : Which 4x4

gunna
15-05-2004, 05:52 AM
The Litres per 100kl post begs the obvious question. The scenario is - you are buying a second hand 4x4 with a budget up to $25k - you will be towing a medium size boat or van - you will be doing long distances.

Which 4x4's do you look at for best fuel consumption, while retaining good towing ability ??

CHRIS_aka_GWH
15-05-2004, 07:34 AM
well diesel is a given - my landy bias aside - I just encountered an '85 Landcruiser with a big diesel engine - 1, 308,000 km (yep 1.3 million) - original engine - never had the head off etc - just things like water pumps etc - that's unbelievable but I saw the evidence. Doesn't blow any smoke & fires up in the cold morning first hit. Gearbox is as loose as the Wickham's front bar though.

Once again - oil changes every 10k - every 5k in the dust or near the salt.

chris

gunna
15-05-2004, 09:39 AM
No one talks about jeeps much ? I had one through most of the 90's. Took it to Fraser. Did a number of our desert tracks a couple times including across the Simpson once. Pulled the boat with ease. Consumption was aroung 13l per 100k. I was pretty happy with it.

Zeeke
15-05-2004, 12:33 PM
ive got an 89 model Mitsubishi Pajero, 3 litre v6 with no mods except a sports exhaust system fitted, couple of months ago we took it on its first trip since i bought it, filled up with a full tank of fuel as we left Maroochydore and still had lil bit under 1/4 of a tank of fuel when we arrived at our destination 1770, a lil bit over 580kms and it has a 75 litre fuel tank, we were also towing my boat which is a 4.3 meter fully decked out tinny and had a ton of fishing gear in the back plus camping gear and spare batterys for lights and electric motors

so id have to recommend them, i got my pajero for $5000. average tho around $8000

Tim

Lachie1
15-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Yes definately diesel i would say and then i would say a toyota landcrusier but thats just because i know they drive really well with a load on and i've always been a crusier man ::) But seriously the cruisers are great for towing. You can get a pretty good ute for $25k or if you want a wagon that will get you an older version say '94 or the like???
Like Chris said its almost impossible to kill a diesel.

Cheers, Lachie

Fisherman02
15-05-2004, 04:15 PM
what are parts like for diesels?
I mean i have heard nothing but good things about diesels what are some of the drawbacks on having them
sorry for taking over ya thread a bit gunna
cheers jack

Big_Kev
15-05-2004, 06:23 PM
A Toyota 80 series turbo diesel will be had for that money.
Fit a 2 1/2 inch exhaust and it will be a great all round rig suited to pull heavy loads.
Jack if you kill the diesel (which can be done) it will cost a lot more to repair than the petrol engine.
They do not have the get up and go of the petrol either in standard form.
However most petrols in the large 4x4's get stuck into the fuel like they own an oil well.
And I can vouch for the miles on the 2h diesels and the loose gearbox, I have one with 1.4m on the clock. Original donk and still goes well but I have a spare box on hand for when I get the time.
Cheers Kev. :)

banshee
15-05-2004, 09:21 PM
If looking to buy an 80 series cruiser you should consider this,models up to but not including the '95 running the Turbo 4.2 diesel (HD-T?) had real problems with big end bearings self destructing at about 100k,Toyota finaly came to the party and paid for the parts and the owners paid for the labour,it is recomended that the bearings be replaced every 100k in these motors,cost is about $600,any vehicles that have a square silver sticker near the hinges on the front drivers side door have been rebuilt by toyota.I also came across a few '92-'93 normaly aspirated vehicles sporting these stickers.Over a six month period I took seven of these vehicles around to my mate who owns a truck repair bussines,all of them had excessive backlash in the front diff,something that has to be kept in check due to the constant 4X4.,all suffered from what the owners/dealers called Toyota roll over,a growling sound coming from the gear box when driven slowly in low gear around town or off road,aparently this is not a problem it is just anoying.Most also had cracks starting or well under way in the C-pillars,mostly a cosmetic fault but a place for rust to start.I searched for a bargain for over six months,I didn't find one.My dream vehicle ended up being a '94 GQ 4.2 deisel wagon with 200k on it,six to seven grand cheaper than a Toyota of the same condition,tows my boat easy (1.5 t dry weight).Last christmass towing to Gladstone with fullyloaded car and reasonably loaded boat sitting on 100-120kph where I could,in fourth gear,I averaged 5.9 k's to the litre.This is in no way a slur on Toyotas,there were a lot of bloody nice 80 series out there but they were all well above my budget.

landy1
16-05-2004, 06:18 AM
Gotta love those tojos, no problems there, awesome build quality ;D go on bite ya know ya want to. :-X
cheers
Mick

Fisherman02
16-05-2004, 10:31 AM
hey kev
mate when u say get up and go, i assume you mean torque?
cheers jack

Big_Kev
16-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Jack Torque and Power make up horse power. That is get up and go.
Cheers Kev.

striker
16-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Looking around at the moment and it seems in the new range ,value for money might be the Mitsubishi Chalanger, performance for the not so serious four wheel driver above average as well,anyone experienced this vechile yet ??

landy1
16-05-2004, 04:17 PM
I used to drive a challenger for work and theyre a very nice car. Independent suspension sort of puts them in the soft roader league but whats wrong with that, horses for courses. It would be a reasonable fishing / camping vehicle. Only downside is the flash interior. We trashed ours in a week with muddy boots.
cheers
Mick

Needmorerum
16-05-2004, 05:50 PM
If looking to buy an 80 series cruiser you should consider this,models up to but not including the '95 running the Turbo 4.2 diesel (HD-T?) had real problems with big end bearings self destructing at about 100k,Toyota finaly came to the party and paid for the parts and the owners paid for the labour,it is recomended that the bearings be replaced every 100k in these motors,cost is about $600,any vehicles that have a square silver sticker near the hinges on the front drivers side door have been rebuilt by toyota.I also came across a few '92-'93 normaly aspirated vehicles sporting these stickers.Over a six month period I took seven of these vehicles around to my mate who owns a truck repair bussines,all of them had excessive backlash in the front diff,something that has to be kept in check due to the constant 4X4.,all suffered from what the owners/dealers called Toyota roll over,a growling sound coming from the gear box when driven slowly in low gear around town or off road,aparently this is not a problem it is just anoying.Most also had cracks starting or well under way in the C-pillars,mostly a cosmetic fault but a place for rust to start.I searched for a bargain for over six months,I didn't find one.My dream vehicle ended up being a '94 GQ 4.2 deisel wagon with 200k on it,six to seven grand cheaper than a Toyota of the same condition,tows my boat easy (1.5 t dry weight).Last christmass towing to Gladstone with fullyloaded car and reasonably loaded boat sitting on 100-120kph where I could,in fourth gear,I averaged 5.9 k's to the litre.This is in no way a slur on Toyotas,there were a lot of bloody nice 80 series out there but they were all well above my budget.

The bearings on a 1HDT once changed, shouldn't need changing every 100k. If they do then whoever did them has put the wrong bearings in. All models of car have their own inherent problems, the 80's have C Pillar cracks, the GQ's have spring mount cracks. If any car is treated to its services and maintenance correctly then they should outlast the owner.
Fuel economy of the two is the same. We trip anually with around 8-10 different models of 4WD, this gives us the chance to see what each one is doing and what is best.
The extra cost now days isn't worth worrying about, although as the old saying goes... you get what you pay for.
There is no doubt that the GQ has a tougher gearbox then the 80's but the 80's have better refinement in them.
It all comes down to personal choice, you can have something refined and stylish with more capability than you would ever want, or you can have a square box on wheels. Sorry had to have a dig, there's that biased side coming out, lets see the mails shoot in now.
Seriously, if you want to tow something any bigger than a roof topper, and you need some form of economy, then you have to lean towards the diesel. I would suggest turbo diesel, cause any naturally aspirated diesel owner can tell you, and they would be lying if they said any different, is that they are born slugs on the highway. They have more pull than a bus load of teenage boys off road and low revs, but couldn't get out of a wet paper bag at 100kph.
HTH
Corry

gunna
18-05-2004, 08:22 AM
How does the consumption differ between diesel & turbo diesel ?

Big_Kev
18-05-2004, 02:28 PM
How does the consumption differ between diesel & turbo diesel ?

I am told it is negligable.

gunna
19-05-2004, 11:10 AM
Then wouldn't you choose turbo all the time to get the extra grunt ??

Big_Kev
19-05-2004, 02:11 PM
Well if grunt is what you want, yeah for sure.
But you will need to pay more for it.

trevcob
19-05-2004, 04:36 PM
have got a 3lt turbo hilux 2003 model 28.000 km work car the turbo is getting replaced next week .It happens a bit so i am told.

jono_69
21-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I have a LandCruiser on Gas Cheaper to Run than my Wifes 4Cylinder. Cheaper than Diesel to repair been very reliable sofar