PDA

View Full Version : trailering the Cape York road north

MAHI_MAHI
19-05-2004, 05:28 PM
Has anyone , recently trailered their tinnie to Cape York ..from Cairns , and managed to get there intact?

The road is occasionally graded, and I heard from a reliable source , that a Landcruiser Troopy , could make the trip in 17 hours.

Ungraded , I am sure it is a devil of a road with corrugation.

I have done the trip 3 times , but prefer to fly!

A trailer ( standard) , with tinnie , is fraught with dangers ...anyone???

Daintreeboy
19-05-2004, 06:02 PM
I'd stay well away from doing this with a standard trailer. A report has come in that one of the worst sections is Laura to Hann River roadhouseat the moment but the reality is you would struggle at any time to reach Weipa without a proper off road trailer.
Cheers, Mark

MAHI_MAHI
20-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Daintree,
the worst aspect for a standard trailer would be corugations , or axle height, or the total of all possibilities?
As I indicated , IF graded the Cape road is like a highway...BUT , if it hasn't been graded after the wet , then it will be a mess.
I will contact RACQ , and enquire about the maintenance of the road .TY!

Daintreeboy
20-05-2004, 01:32 PM
That's right mate. I've heard corrugations were the issue in this stretch but ringing RACQ will help.
Here's where I read it btw
http://www.exploroz.com.au/Forum/View.asp?ForumQID=12934&Page=%2FForum%2FDefault%2Easp%3FDisplaySet%3DActiv e%26PN%3D2

Cheers, Mark.

Moffy
21-05-2004, 09:54 AM
saw some guys at seisa last July who were on their 4 th set of springs with standard trailer - they had little or no weight in the boat at all. I would not like to even attempt to tow a boat on a normal trailer on that road.

I wouldn't even consider it without a proper offroad trailer setup and even then i'd have reservations - on the same trip we came across a couple of vehicles where the whole axle had come out from under an "off-road trailer" and they were in the process of wiring in a couple of trees they'd cut down as skids to go under the trailer. Mind you they had way too much weight in it - 44 of fuel, motorbike, outboard, full of other gear up to boat rack and boat on top. - asking for trouble.

Jeno
21-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeh its a hard road but a bit over-rated. I have done the trip 5 times the last two towing my 395 proline on standard trailer with 13" wheels, absolutly no problems.
Last time in september 2003 with the road in horrible condition no worries at all. Most of the trailer worries I have seen have been with actual off road trailers with the springs and shackles giving up the ghost.
Problems have been overloading, but also I think it is the actual weight of the offroad trailer sitting on the springs.
The channel that is used some times is just huge and not needed.
Put all your light stuff in the boat sleeping gear etc and don,t carry any fuel until you get to your last fuel stop.
Flying is good I suppose but nothing like doing it yourself.
Stephen

heaney
30-05-2004, 04:46 PM
whats the road liek at the moment