PDA

View Full Version : 80 SERIES ELECTRIC WINDOW

SNELLY
07-06-2004, 09:28 PM
This story starts during last years Weipa trip. Anyway we were up there and took a guest of the friend we were staying with for a fish. He jumps in my 80 Series wagon and attempts to put the rear window down. Clunk tinkle tinkle !!!!!!. Could only get the window within about an inch of the top. Didn't want to attempt anything up there so I taped it all up and pulled it apart when I got home. Tape just lasted until the end of the dirt so I was lucky.

Anyway managed to fix it by pulling the door apart and removing the glass and knocking the metal peice and rubber piece back onto the bottom of the glass with a rubber mallet. Also it looks like I was not the first person in there as there was some tape sticking the plastic lining on the door back on as well. #Put it all back together and tried it several times no problems. Then after a few months same thing. Pulled it all apart again and put it back together - a tad faster this time. Now after a shorter amount of time and little use same thing again. #Have pulled it apart again and put it back together but still cant see anything obvious.

Anybody got any ideas or had the same problem or know where to point me to fix the problem short of leaving the window up permanently.

Snelly

blaze
08-06-2004, 06:42 PM
had a simular problem with the section coming off a pulsar window once, seemed to permantly fix it by fitting the rubber into the metal fram with black sikaflex and then put the window glass into the rubber with the same, that as about 4 years ago, passed the car onto my son and the window has given no more problems
cheers
blaze

Mr__Bean
08-06-2004, 11:24 PM
I would also have a look at the window tracks.

Make sure they are clean and not impregnated with dust that is grinding on the glass and creating drag on the glass as it goes up and down.

A bit of silicon spray or similar will help.

Also have a look to make sure the window tracks are not worn allowing the glass to cock over a bit and jam.

Next time it is off, feel to see how easy the window is going up and down.

- Bean

SNELLY
09-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for the ideas there Bean and Blaze much appreciated.

Snelly

GBC
12-08-2004, 07:31 AM
fellow 80 lover.....
I had one, but had to get a hilux for work.
Your are speaking of the same prob many others have sufffered before you.
What happens? The glass vibrates forward in the metal carriage affixed to the bottom of the glass (If you look close you will probably see the original alignment marks on the glass.
As the carriage vibrates forwards, it allows the roller on the radial swing arm to travel too far and the f&%^*ng window falls off at exactly half way up the door frame every time.
If this is your prob, soak the bottom carriage and associated felt in detergent overnight to make it slipprier than a butcher's ...., put on some gloves (required because your hands will be wet and slippery and prone to sliding into sumfink sharp), and slowly push the glass onto the original marks.
Final part of the process is to disable the power windows in the rear, or get really fast at stripping door linings and realigning the glass because it aint going to get any better.
BOL
GBC
;)

Payneful
13-08-2004, 11:48 AM
I would go with Blaze. Sikaflex it in so it doesn't move again. Happened with my cruiser but i just pulled the plug on the back windows. Will fix it properly one day

Sam