PDA

View Full Version : OFF ROAD BOAT TRAILER

baldyhead
21-09-2004, 06:08 PM
Hi Guys & Gals,
I need some info/help/ideas/fotos/drawings/etc/etc for the construction of a serious off road boat trailer.
I have some ideas but really need to get it right the first time so am asking for your assistance.
The boat is from 3.8m to 5m alum.
Cheers baldy

ANYFISH
21-09-2004, 06:31 PM
guday baldy
it all depends on the size and approx. weight of the boat/motor.
3.8- 5m is too big of a range to say what would be best for off road.
the main thing is to make it strong enough.

big wheels always help a trailer for off road.
steel sizes will all depend on weight.

cheers anyfish

jimbamb
22-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Just a bit of advise from an ol fart..When ya usin your trailer,when ya get it built,Keep ya tyre pressure LOW.saves a lot of damage to boats/motors/gear etc.Ya dont usually need 40+ pounds in trailer tyres.have then so they carry the load and yust begin to bag out!!!
Just my opinion tho...............

Jack_Lives_Here
22-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Baldy,
In the process of having a plate boat built and have been discussing off road trailer with Belco Custom Trailers. Ryan has been more than helpful and ran through scenarios I would likely be towing in and will build a trailer accordingly. I'm using same size rims as tow vehicle, ladder rack roller system to support the keel, nice long skids and LED lights. Still some time off delivery but I to wanted to do it right from the start.

BS
22-09-2004, 05:35 PM
a few of my opinions......

1. treg hitch
2. extendable draw bar
3. good quality springs & axle - make sure springs are spot on for weight of trip ready trailer. don't get too heavier one's.
4. as mentioned above, same wheels as tow vehicle
5. width of trailer axle should be same as tow vehicle so trailer tyres run in same rut as vehicle
6. welded tow eyes on front and back of trailer (so trailer can be dragged out either way if you get stuck)
7. ensure lights are up nice and high or they'll get wiped off

hope this helps :D

old_mate_china
22-09-2004, 05:52 PM
BAldy - How far off Road, what conditions. Beach off road or Cape York off Road.

My mate Gazza just built an off road trailer for a mate (not boat though), and used a Landcruiser axle as the starting point. His many years working on rough Cape York roads leads him in this direction as the highest failure known to him is a snapped axle at the hub, near the point of honing down. Getting the brakes right (if needed for weight) is a creative problem but he tells me not insurmountable. .... If you want to private em I'll ask him to give you a call or send an email. Only prob is he's off fishin and campin until 4 October..... Up to you.