PDA

View Full Version : Project, Bullbar Retrofit

Big_Kev
26-04-2004, 02:37 PM
I went to ARB the other week to price a decent bar for the 75 series I bought, to replace the crude bar which was manufactured straight from the cowcocky's book of farm repairs.
And after I woke up with the salesman slapping my face and waving smelling salts under my nose (I think they keep em on hand) I said ahh no thanks and made my way home for a beer and a think.
I have scoured the trading post to find something to do the job but zilch.
And then at my uncles place today I see a bar in his yard from god knows what, and he told me he got it with a pile of stuff in the one lot from an auction.
I told him the tale and asked how much, he said he didn't want it and if I took it away out of the yard it was all mine (BARGAIN).
I ripped the old bar off and lined the new one up for a look.
I rekoned if it were mounted a couple of inches higher and not so wide it would do the job fine. Out with my old friend Mr gas axe the friend of many a frustrated fitter.
I cut off the mounts and cut 100mm from the guts and joined it back togeather to make it fit.
I pulled up to have a beer and a bit more of a think on the mounts as they will have to be good enough for pulling out Land Rovers.
Thats where the project has stopped for the day but I have it at the trial fit stage and all the hard bit is done so with some luck you can see the final pictures soon.
Cheers Kev.

Big_Kev
26-04-2004, 02:39 PM
That was the old bar by the way.
Here is the new one that I chopped up.

Big_Kev
26-04-2004, 02:41 PM
I cut it in half and the two pipes at the top I cut near the upright to hide the weld.
Here is the mount after I had done the jod with the blue tounge.

Big_Kev
26-04-2004, 02:45 PM
I had a good look at the front to decide how to mount the bar.
After a couple of beers I had an idea.
Don't know what the bar was off, but it was wider and not quite as high in the front as the 75 series.
Looks funny with nothing on it.

Big_Kev
26-04-2004, 02:49 PM
It just didn't quite go back togeather so I had to give it a bit of encouragement with the chian block. Thats took up the bit of gap and made it all look straight and after a careful grind you would not know I have cut it in half.

Big_Kev
26-04-2004, 02:55 PM
And then it was time to see how it looked.
And think about how to make it mount so that it uses the original Toyota points and be strong enough to get them Landys out of the holes that they make. And since this is also a winch mounting bar it will need to be good. I will have to set the winch to one side after I have made the mods, but hopefully this won't create any probs.
I will have to wait until I get a winch and find out then I guess.
May need a couple more beers then to get some idea's.
Anyway hopefully a bit of feedback will give me some more idea's.
Cheers Kev

Fisherman02
26-04-2004, 03:30 PM
what a job kev
got to hand it to ya it looks better then the old one!
cheers jack

trevcob
26-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Good stuff Kev looks like a job well done.

blaze
26-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Hi Kev
funny how some of us get in and do sh** like that to save some pennies (they quote over 1k for a new one, I reckon) looks like you have the matter well in hand, and thats a fine idea to sit back and have an ale or 2 or 3 while studying the job, more to spend on fishin
any way its looking the part (No RHK342) and theres the patern No
cheers
blaze

bugman
27-04-2004, 06:35 AM
I'm not even going to bite Kev.

Nice job by the way.

Big_Kev
27-04-2004, 02:31 PM
I am always fishing but Brett LOL.
Thanks for the replies guys.
Cheers Kev. :) :)

Thebuffalo
29-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Kev, looks like it might be for a 100series or maybe a Nissan. Hard to imagine what else it would have come off. Looks the part though.

There is a huge a huge auction up here next month for the ADRAIL mob who have just built the railway line from down south. I will be going and offering some bids on driving lights and uhf's, don't know about the winches. uhf's are in lots of 12 and there are about 300 various units, vhf etc. What I am getting at is if any of you lot are interested I can only use so many radios etc. drop me a message and I will give you details of the web page so you can have a look at the list www.mgs.net.au I think.

There is heaps of other stuff. Might go cheap, might be through the roof.

The point I was getting at Kev is there might be a nice set of driving lights there with your name on it.

For what it's worth I was quoted $1950 for a bull bar for my chev. Can't make one because of the air bag. Know a way around it? let me know.

Cheers

Thebuffalo

Big_Kev
01-05-2004, 02:28 PM
You can have the old one off the Cruiser Buff (bull bar).It might even fit the boat to run down them big fish up that way.
As for lights I have some already thanks for thinking of me but.
Cheers Kev.

Thebuffalo
05-05-2004, 02:12 PM
I might just bolt on your cruiser Kev :-/

There is a problem, the fish are in the water and the Buffalo isn't :(

Three weeks up yet.

blaze
05-05-2004, 03:55 PM
Hi Buffalo
from memory, 3 weeks was up about 3 months ago LOL
cheers
blaze
could'nt resist

Thebuffalo
06-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Mmmmmmm, I thought you might say something like that. More sanding tomorrow.

blaze
06-05-2004, 02:59 PM
STICK WITH IT BUFFALO
and i didnt mean to swear at you
cheers
blaze
do it right once

Thebuffalo
07-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Blaze, Kev was the one who lost track of time not me, I still have two weeks to go............. :D [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=hammer.gif]

Big_Kev
08-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Nah I didn't loose track I just gave up waiting.
But it is good to see you are still hard at it.
Cheers Kev :D

Thebuffalo
08-05-2004, 02:40 PM
Hard is an understatement. Taking the little buffalo out tomorrow for some R n R. Hope the holes I plugged up today hold, there are some big gecko's around there. Better take the dogs.

Gorilla_in_Manila
08-05-2004, 03:28 PM
there are some big gecko's around there. #Better take the dogs.

Buffalo,
What?
Do you throw one over your shoulder when a big gecko starts chasing you?
;D ;D ;D
Cheers
Jeff

Thebuffalo
10-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Yeah, something like that. It's really more like the dogs go to the waters edge first and check things out :-/ They are mans best friend of course.

The missus gives me curry for doing it, I say to her, what would you rather I went down first......NO answer.

I wouldn't waste my dogs to a croc, just think of it as a bit of life insurance. I've talked with them about it, said to them on occasion that it is very dangerous, they don't seem to mind, ;D ;D

The missus won't let me take the kids.

Jokes aside I am very wary. Caught three barra, five bream and four turtles. Had some darkies with me which helped.

Big_Kev
10-05-2004, 02:49 PM
So how did you catch the Barra and how big were they Buff?
Cheers Kev.

Thebuffalo
11-05-2004, 02:25 PM
How big do you want them to be Kev :) I must say they were not white fella legal which was a bit of a shame. I did not catch them and by the time my attention was drawn to it they were dead. As a cop I am a fishing inspector beleive it or not. I am not prepared to get into an argument over it but I respect the cultural side of things. the people who were with me are allowed to hunt the area. Most people respect the size limit up here. But where there is little barra there is big barra. Next week. I will get some pics and show you lot. There is so much stuff (food ) up here to see and do. I am amazed that people don't get off there butt more. By the way, the little buffalo went like a charm, the hole I mended held.....to a degree, leaked about half a bucket for the day, I consider that acceptable for a gecko lure :D

landy1
12-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Sounds like ive been missng all the fun on the big move, Very toight job with the bar, it looks like an ARB item should be able to con a cattle dog out of them for a compare to solve its parantage questions. Hey im keen on a cheap UHF or lights ;D if theres still an offer. I think the postman comes to the Isa.
cheers
Mick

blaze
12-05-2004, 05:28 PM
good to see you arrived in one piece landy, hope you are well settled and you have had the rods out
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
17-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Here is the finished product.
Now its time to finish the tray canopy I got off DR.
Cheers Kev.

Big_Kev
17-05-2004, 01:59 PM
I even stuck a ARB sticker on the front to make the bar look authentic.
With the canopy frame I got from DR second hand I had to shorten it by 250mm and make a new head board to get it to fit good. And raised it 50mm for a streamline look.
Now all I need is to get the canopy shortened up to suit the frame fit the clips for the tie downs.
And then it will be ripe for a camp trip or two, or maybe even more.
All up I hope it will cost less than 250 dollar with the mods.

caveman
17-05-2004, 03:41 PM
well kev the best option now would be to buy a NISSAN to pull the tojo around ;D ;D ;D ;D

Big_Kev
17-05-2004, 04:36 PM
Nah Gary I don't think so.
I like the Patrols a lot, but the reason the Cruiser was pulled out of the bog was to gain access to the Patrol.

yalla
03-10-2004, 07:33 PM
i got a warn winch that well fit on it if you want im just writing about my winch everywhere to get my post numbers sorry if its getting boring
yalla

bruce4x4
04-10-2004, 04:54 AM
How much do u want yalla?

yalla
04-10-2004, 05:56 AM
800 negotiable
yallah

Big_Kev
04-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Just to add I still have not finished the canopy for the back.
But I have fitted a set of 33" mud tyres.
The winch would be good but I don't get off the road enough to spend the 800 jonny's sorry Yalla.
Cheers Kev.