PDA

View Full Version : hand winch

bigbrian47
04-07-2004, 01:58 PM
has anyone got any advice for a hand winch types brands etc
someone suggested chain type wire strainers would these be strong enough to move a bogged 4b
cheers brian

CHRIS_aka_GWH
06-07-2004, 03:22 PM
brian i once lent a lever type hand winch from my wifes uncle. From memory you drove a star picket into the ground & attached the top on the winch (which was driven into the ground ???) to the base of the picket (i think????)

anyway that thing moved a 3/4 tonne landscaping rock across our yard in stages - absolutely bloody brilliant.

incidently, since that rock my wife has been relegated to interior design & the yard is mine.

chris

like any winch the action isn't real fast, it creeps, i think you need to use some sort of buried anchor in the sand too.

bigbrian47
10-07-2004, 03:09 PM
thanks chris i was in mount morgan yesterday @ a bloke
convinced me to buy @ genuine hi lift (wallaby jack)
i already have snatch strap @ block etc
off to ARB to get one this weekend
cheers brian

stevo
09-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Hi Bigbrian, only just read this post but I'll still add my two cents worth. The Hi-lift jack will work but one of the slower methods.
Depends on the size of car as well, I used one of the light hand winches on a few little ones like sierra, lada with no problems till it sh*t itself and every thing let go with a Rocky left rolling down a hill backwards with no bad results luckily.
But now a tirfor hand winch or Black rat are good for the big 4wds, and will get you out of most hick-ups. hope that helps.

p.s. don't hook straight to your towball as a few of these break and send it back at quite a few knots.

hope this helps you out.

Stevo

yalla
03-10-2004, 07:30 PM
i got a warn electric winch if ya want its 10000lb strength
i can do for cheap
sam

PG
07-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Is wire the best or only medium available on hand winches? I notice webbing being used a lot these days but like brian, I'm considering a hand winch and looking to what options are available.
What accessories should go with the winch? Pulley block? tree strap(to prevent ringbarking)?, extra chain/rope? big fat D shackles?...any suggestions?

Glug
07-10-2004, 06:58 PM
Don't buy cheap stuff, like shackles from the local hardware store, they need to be rated. There is heaps of stuff made in china like the hammers that break when you hit a nail, the chisels that bend up at the end when you try to cut wood. When you have a bogged fouby the winch becomes a lethal weapon. I've seen a cheap shackle go through a windscreen, thats expensive cheapness. It could have been the cheapskates head or worse some one elses.