PDA

View Full Version : Tow Bars

gunna
19-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Just wondering how people compare the standard fixed towbar versus the Hayman Reece ?? I had a Hayman for a number of years & the noise of the thing drove me crazy. I much prefer the standard fixed type. What are the advantages of one over the other ??

dingodean69
19-10-2004, 07:55 AM
gday gunna
by noise do u mean the hitch moving from side to side
dean

gunna
19-10-2004, 08:03 AM
Yeh. It used to clunk about when towing. I usually took the centre piece out when not towing because of the noise. I just don't see why they are better than the standard type ?

dingodean69
19-10-2004, 08:10 AM
yea gunna on the later ones thay have a bolt that go's through the side of the housing that holds it to one side to stop the floging around. does yours have this ??
dean

Gorilla_in_Manila
19-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Gunna,
My cruiser tows sometimes my tinnie when I'm back in aus, and sometimes my old man's caravan when I'm not. Tinnie trailer has 50mm ball with small wheels, so tow bar is inserted with offset flange down with ball. Caravan is pin attachment with high clearance so offset bar is inserted flange up with universal pin connection.
Just a matter of swapping the SHS flange thingy on the hayman reece.
One disadvantage of the hayman is trailer security. Couple mates can lock the connection, but you also have to lock the pin on the hayman or padlock your safety chains to the main bar so someone doesn't just pull the pin out and put it in their connection and bugger off.
Cheers
Jeff

gunna
19-10-2004, 10:20 AM
yea gunna on the later ones thay have a bolt that go's through the side of the housing that holds it to one side to stop the floging around. does yours have this ??
dean

Dean - I had one on the 4x4. I am back in a Falcon now with a standard tow bar - the question I am asking is - why would anyone choose a Hayman over the standard set up ?

Gorilla - I certainly made sure I had a locking pin when I had the Hayman [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Dug
19-10-2004, 01:52 PM
I just got one and the security and shake worried me so I swapped the pin for a high quality stainless steel bolt and wound it down real tight.

They will need a good spanner to steal it and it wobbles a whole lot less.

Payneful
19-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Hayman is better than standard if your going to be using it for a 4wd and are planing on doing a little off road work. Simply slip the hitch out and put in the snatch strap and replace the pin. A lot safer than doing a snatch recovery from the tow ball.

Other than that I find them annoying because of the movement.

Sam.

PG
20-10-2004, 01:13 AM
Are they rated at a higher towing or load capacity?

cameronr
20-10-2004, 04:51 AM
Hi Guys

Just put a 2.5 ton trailboss on my jackaroo which is similar to the 2.5 ton hayman with the same square tongue (standards are only 1 ton cap and water police at yeppoon are very strict on tow cap at boat ramps here). To stop tongue rattle you can either put a bolt through the sucker instead of the pin or drill a small hole and attach a locking bolt and nut if the noise is to much. Some of the tow bar companies are doing this standard now to their towbars.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-10-2004, 01:26 PM
some of us like things that rattle - heard they attract fish ;) ;D

Dug
05-11-2004, 07:33 PM
And we know our trailer is still attached? ::)