PDA

View Full Version : pajero SWB

shano
24-10-2004, 03:37 PM
i will be purchasing a pajero swb 4x4! it is an early 84 model! 4cyl!
what i want to know is how they are towing a trailer on sand being a 4clr motor? the trailer is a standard box!
also what mods do i have to do to my trailer to tow it on sand? mainly want it for double island .wondering if it would tow ok as it is! it aint a low trailer! and would i need to change tyres from normal tyres to a 4x4 tyre ? thanks guys!

Big_Kev
25-10-2004, 03:03 AM
Does that model Pajero have low range Shane?
Just let the tyres down a bit, and try to keep the weight down.
Wide tyres on the Paero will help. 8)

imported_admin
25-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Shano

Make sure the trailer tyers are lined up with the 4WD tyres. Otherwise you will be pulling the trailer through soft sand instead of towing it in the wheel tracks of the 4WD.

shano
25-10-2004, 04:26 AM
thanks for that guys! this might be a silly question but dont most 4x4 have low range?
thanks steve that makes sence! i will make sure the trailer is tracking properly behind the 4x4!
any other info would be cool

Big_Kev
25-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Answer top your Q Shane is no, A lot of the smaller type 4x4 only have the one range and some are constant 4x4.
These are commonly refered to as a SOFTROADER.
Hope this helps Cheers Kev. 8)

shano
25-10-2004, 03:02 PM
oh dead set hey! i never knew that! thanks!
i am sure it would have the full range! both high and low!

Glug
30-10-2004, 04:06 PM
If you have problems, use large diameter tyres as wide as you can on your fourby, this gives you a bigger foot print when you lower the tyre pressures. Don't go lower than 18lbs towing or your tyres might spin off the rims. Bigger diameter and wide tyres means you have less weight per square centermentre so you don't sink as much. The larger the diameter the easier it is for the wheel to go over any sand which builds up in front of the tyre but don't forget you have to turn so check the tyres do not hit inside the wheel arches. The treads should not be aggresive for sand, as big treads dig big holes quick if the wheel spins, you don't need 4WD tyres for your trailer but again big and wide are best. Tracking your trailer to the fourby, don't use wheel spacers these are dangerous and illegal in some states. If you have an accident insurance company will wipe you. Try the set up you have first before spending money if it works no worries. ;D

Choose a low range gear before hitting the soft stuff and don't try to change up once you are going. Experience counts each fourby is different in sand, just make sure you have a snatch strap and good shackles not cheapies from the hardware store. Cheap shackles are expensive when they come back through your windscreen or kill some one. :o

Maverick79
11-11-2004, 01:05 PM
you should have no worries with it maybe put a good echust on it to breath easier