PDA

View Full Version : JUST A THOUGHT

Derek Bullock
14-11-2004, 06:34 AM
Horse riding, trail bike riding and 4-wheel driving to continue in parks

Misinformation and misplaced fear are the reasons behind a rally of horse riders, trail bike riders and 4-wheel drivers to be held in Cairns this weekend, according to Environment Minister and Member for Cairns Desley Boyle.

Ms Boyle said the change in tenure from former State Forest to Conservation Park and National Park - the subject of Saturday's rally - would have minimal impact on recreational users.

She said she was disappointed that assurances to representatives of the recreational users had been insufficient to allay their fears.

Ms Boyle said: "There is no question I understand the concerns expressed.

"Horse riding, trail bike riding and 4-wheel driving are immensely popular recreational pursuits. There is a strong culture of all three in the Northern half of the state."

Ms Boyle rejected claims that there had been insufficient consultation, saying there had been public forums, briefings with the EPA's Regional Director and several meetings with her.

"I want to assure those concerned that their views are well known and they are being taken into account.

"The original proposal - as endorsed by Cabinet in 2003 - will lead to very little, if any, diminished access for most users. Horses, 4-wheel drives and trail bikes will continue to use gazetted roads much as they have before.

"Of course it is always possible there may be some minor impacts. That is why we have had such an extensive campaign of public consultation.

"I am very aware of the views of these groups in particular, having met with representatives of all three - in my office in Cairns, and at Community Cabinet.

"I was listening then, and will take careful note of the views of those at Saturday's rally."

Ms Boyle said a final decision on tenure for the 480,000 plus hectares would be made before the end of the year, before gazettal in mid-2005.

MEDIA CONTACT: Louise Foley on 3227 8825 or 0407 966 829