PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for buying at gov't auctions ?

Tony_N
11-11-2004, 02:20 AM
I'm thinking that I will go to the government auctions in Brisbane to buy my next vehicle. Does anyone have any inside info on best procedures? ie how to get the best deal? Are gov. auctions a good place to buy vehicles.

I need to be honest and say that I am looking at a Subaru Forester X, 2.5 litre, so strictly speaking my question probably doesn't belong in this forum, but like everybody I find that there is always somebody(s) that have particular and valuable insights into any topic - so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Any info gratefully received including opinions on the vehicle as a town/touring/light towing family car. I don't expect to be taking it onto the beach or up any mountains - but I do expect to pull an A'Liner popup caravan (<1000kg's) around the top to Broome/Exmouth next year.

Cheers - Tony

Big_Kev
11-11-2004, 01:16 PM
Don't bother even to go.
The reserves are set to high and most vehicles are sent interstate
and bought up by car yards down there.

Tony_N
11-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Ok Reel, I hear you, BUT I am interstate (just) and if dealers from here are buying them, you'd have to think that they are putting a premium on them to sell them for a profit and if buying retail from them is my other option, wouldn't I be better off by outbidding them at auction rather than buying from them in a car yard (??)

Big_Kev
11-11-2004, 03:34 PM
As in interstate they are going to Melbourne.
There are auctions every Saturday on Kingsford smith drive, and the cars are from all sorts,(private/dealers trades/repo's,etc).
Look up qld motor auctions.
A good buy is posible but you will need to do your homework. :)

Aaron_Fogarty
13-11-2004, 12:30 PM
Ive bought a few newer cars from the puplic trusty actions there usualy a couple of grand cheaper than the yards. I reckon to look privately it takes more time and effort but if you save a thousand its worth the exercise.
Im buying another car at Xmas.....I know what your going through.
Get your own mechanic to check it out a car yard warrent isnt worth a bucket of cold water in my experience.
good luck
Aaron

Dug
14-11-2004, 11:45 AM
Check out East Coast Commercials they buy at the auctions then re sell but if a private buyer turns up to the auctions the commercial guys will out bid him untill he gives up and goes away then it is business as usual you have this one i'll have that one!

If you go do your homework and just sit and watch for a few auctions to get the feel of it. Watch who the big buyers are and ask if they will do a deal for you? a few hundred cash in the right pocket may save you a lot later. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Tony_N
14-11-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks everyone

Sounds like I might be a bit out of my league at the auctions - though MANY moons ago I bought an ex-PMG falcon ute at the gov't auctions in St Mary's in Sydney. Great vehicle at about half the yard price at the time. Nearly killed muself and dozens of others carting it home on a very poorly balanced car trailer. took up a minimum of two lanes all the way along Paramatta road in peak hour - very scary stuff.

I've looked in the car yards and the dealers are very greedy. I can hardly believe that i'm going to do this - but I've been cut a very good deal on a new one and I'm gunna buy it! These things hold their resale value so well.

Thanks again for the input

Tony

Spaniard_King
14-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Dug is on the money [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

The dealers will outbid you and they will tell the auctioneer later that they dont want it, sad I know.

Get into a dealers ear and $500 in his pocket will get you a car, saving $K's

Garry

Spaniard_King
14-11-2004, 01:53 PM
oops