PDA

View Full Version : suzuki serria

Dillon
18-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Hi
anyone got any info on these as a 4x4 and for towing?
and how much room they have in them?

Cheers,
Dillon

blaze
18-05-2004, 05:27 PM
little buggers will go any where and when they stop you just pick them up and move yhem over

Strike
18-05-2004, 06:14 PM
When i was looking around for a fourby i test drove a sierra.. found it was pretty gutless and not much room (im 6'2) pretty much had bout 1cm of room between the dash and my knee when driving.. but like blaze said they go anywhere and if it rolls or anything u just tip it back up and keep goin ;D

Not sure about towing.. probly doesnt have a huge towing capacity but i've seen a few up the beach towing small box trailers...

JB
19-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Dillon, i have a 90 model sierra and i'm six foot 3 .. its no problem at all for room. Also i use it now an again to tow a 4.5 mtr trailcraft profish which is a heavy plate rig. It doesnt tow it that fast but does the job. I wouldnt advise doing it all the time though as it will prolly wear out the clutch .hehe. But it would tow a small tinnie a piece of piss. My mate used his sierra to tow a boat to DI point heaps of times np. I'll post some pics when i find them as proof ;) ;D

Big_Kev
19-05-2004, 02:16 PM
My wife had a Vitara 2 ltr and it was like driving a go cart to me.
But it was fun and would go anywhere. (Passed bogged cruisers and rovers all the time on the beach)
It towed a 4.2 tinny I had OK, but only has a limit of around 900kg on the draw bar.
Hope this helps.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-05-2004, 03:00 PM
i have driven both sierras & vitaras on the sand & they are very capable - for what they are. The simplicity & clearance of the sierra makes them a good beach transport vehicle. The vitara - more comfortable with a reduced clearance. Both have much narrower wheel bases so using the ruts of other 4bies in the really soft stuff is virtually impossible.

You need to keep very high revs & movement with their small engines because changing gears in a light weight vehicle means you lose a lot of momentum quickly.

You should never tow anything that even approaches the weight of the vehicle towing, regardless of what the towbar is rated to without a trailer with independent braking.

I once saw a sierra towing a 14ft tinnie in the left hand ditch of the pacific motorway just north of dream world near the river. The wind flipped the tinnie & the sierra followed.

chris.

Dillon
19-05-2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies they have been most helpful
I am still really interested in the Suzuki.
The only problem that I can think of is the motors in them seem very small and the wheel base looksto be very short also.
So now for the big Qs:
A) Is it possible to get a LWB version or extend the WB of the original?
B) Also can they be fitted with a bigger motor (legally) i.e. a small V6 or turbo/ super chargers

caloundra
19-05-2004, 04:31 PM
seen a guy with a swift gti motor in one went like a rocket

mrswb
02-06-2004, 06:45 AM
you can spend about 1000 bucks and put a 1.6L vitara donk in em. What else can you buy thats late model for a few grand.... and reliable....

Big_Kev
02-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Sieras do come in a ute version and the wheel base is longer.
It would not be legal (sssshhhh) but I rekon a big block chevvy could be shoehorned in there if you are keen enough.LOL

Fisherman02
02-06-2004, 04:19 PM
ROFLMAO KEV

benjamin78au
26-09-2004, 06:33 AM
okay i own a suzuki serrria, i put the 1.6 efi motor in and , and as stock standard, you will out drive most bigger 4wds, but i found towing, was a 90 k an hour and i wanted more, now, well, catch me if u can. the ride is a bit ruff, but soft top is damn nice, towing now is now not a problem. um, have a look and a look at http://www.suzishop.com/forum and ask there. oh and depends where you are, u can get the v6 commodore motor approved but hmmm weight was a concern.um email me at ben__699@hotmail.com if ya want more details.

cosmo
27-10-2004, 06:17 PM
I've got a 92 sierra with the 1.3L engine. I wouldn't tow much other than a small box trailer with it.

Dads_Army
11-11-2004, 04:39 PM
G'day, I'm new here, but here goes. I bought a Vitara last year for my young bloke, it's a 91' model, paid $2000 for it, so you could gather that it has had a hard life, anyway, It is probably one of the most capable 4x4's that I've driven, it wouldn't pull the skin off a custard as far as towing goes and is slow in the hills (it's an auto) and from what I've seen it's just a about 'bullet proof'

Nugget
13-11-2004, 01:46 AM
I drive a 1985 LWB Sierra every day of the week.
I've taken it to Fraser, and Straddie towing a tinnie.

Here's my 2 bob's worth.

They are rough on the road - in fact I was planning to sell this one after I came back from Fraser last year.
Trouble is after driving around bogged 4x4's and watching the fuel gauge freeze in the one position for half the week - I decided to keep it when I came back.
They are the most capable 4x4 - getting from A to B - I have ever driven - and I've driven the lot.
Their only disadvantage as a 4x4 is the large turning circle - you would think being a little car they would have great circle but not so - not my model anyway.

They are not a power house - But I have no trouble sitting on 100k on the highway - the motors do rev fairly high - they seem to have a power band that starts at about 3500rpm.

Last year I towed a heavy 4 metre boat to Straddie - not really a problem but it was 80 - 90k max.
I then towed it up the beach from the Point to the Pin Bar.
This was a little difficult - in fact I got 99% of the way there then bogged it in some chewed up soft stuff.
I dropped the boat off and drove away but it didn't have the power to pull the boat out of the bog - thanks Roscoe - that's what mates are for.

In the early 90's a 'wide track' model came out with coil springs - these are supposedly a major improvement.

I would summarise by saying if you want a cheap 4x4, are not worried about a slightly rough noisy ride (We're not talking Landrover rough and noisy) and will only be towing a small boat short distances - they are a great proposition.

LWB versions are hard to find - I paid $2000.

If you have any specific questions - email me.
Dave ><>

skippa
15-11-2004, 04:23 PM
Last year we bought a Grand Vitara v6 auto to replace the missus Corolla.

It's our first 4by and I must say we have not been disappointed. Off road for us has mainly been beach work, only being bogged once (but we won't mention that it was under Mrs Skippa's driving). We have driven past many bigger 4x4's bogged up to the axles, and Suzy keeps on going.

Its not the best on fuel, equal to my commodore, but will sit on the hwy at 110 as long as you like. I've towed the Haines (17fter) from Brisbane to both coasts without any bother.

A great first 4x4 IMHO

Cheers,
Tony 8)

MrLuminous
16-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Hey guys
I havnt driven one BUT i am after one!!! So if anyone out there knows one that is cheap and for sale give me a buzz!
Thanks

Glug
18-11-2004, 05:09 AM
Serria is great off road unless you over load them. The only guys I have seen with problems are the campers who try to carry the kitchen sink, toilet and bathroom with them. If you want to do this go patrol or cruiser, Serria does not have the grunt to pull a heavy load through sand. On ice and mud they tend to slide and struggle a bit more than the bigger fourbies but still get through with a bit of care.