PDA

View Full Version : Shot Gearbox

Lachie1
06-12-2004, 08:55 AM
G'day everyone, been a long time since i posted on here but been pretty busy. Coming back from roma the other day (own a '94 Toyota Landcruiser Ute) i think we did a bearing in the gearbox, as we came down the street to get home i down shifted into 3rd from 4th and heard this painfull scraping noise. After a bit of investigation i figured it was the gearbox. Only makes noise when gearbox is rotating internally, no noise when clutch is in. Not the drivetrain and not the engine so any one able to back me up ???

I was wondering how much it would cost to get fixed and is it better to repair it or get a reco gearbox, I think the gearbox has had a hard life as it just has a "not quite right" feel about it? Also how much?

Cheers, Lachie

Big_Kev
06-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Lachie is it a 4 or 5 speed.
If it is a 5 speed I may be able to help with another box. I have a couple.
Cheers Kev.

Lachie1
08-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Yeah its a 5 speed Kev. But cos dad got some warranty setup on the ute when he bought it it has to be done by an "accredited repairer" and they have to get all done officially as im sure you'll understand. Thankyou very much for the offer of help Kev you are a true champion.

As far as i can tell it is a bearing to do with the lay shaft as in 4th there is no grinding noise as it is a direct link between the shafts or whatever. Took it down to the shop just before so wait for them to ring back and see what the go is.

Cheers, Lachie

Big_Kev
08-12-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah mate I rekoned that is what it was.
Its a good thing you got warranty with it. These boxes cost a motza to repair.
I can recomend to get bearings through the whole box even if you have to come up with some dollars to get it done when it is apart.
Cheers Kev.

Lachie1
08-12-2004, 02:36 PM
yeah sounds like a good idea Kev just make it that bit more smoother and have all the bearings the same age/wear. When i was telling him i thought it was a bearing to do with the lay shaft he said it could be up $3300 for an exchange gearbox!!!

Anyway I'll just wait for em to call and see what happens,
Cheers, Lachie

Big_Kev
08-12-2004, 04:37 PM
3300 would be about right.
It costs about 2 grand to do a basic job without any broken bits.