PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Ram 2500

AaronF
10-12-2004, 06:55 AM
Been thinking about this for a while but not sure if it would be worth it. I live in Canada and fell in love with these things after moving here. Now they are major gas guzzlers even with the "new" 5.7L Hemi (petrol) they come with. I like the Cummins Diesel (5.9L Turbo in line 6) version especially for towing but wonder if the petrol version would sell more easily in Australia or the Diesel. In the next few years I might move back home and bring one of these with me if it makes sense. Just wonder if anyone has any good data on what I'd expect to pay to have it converted to RHD and certified. Also what the Aus gov't might charge tax wise if I held onto it for 12 months min and then sold it. What might this go for in Australia as well. I know there are some 4x2 versions of the 1500 advertised for approx 80k but do they ever sell?

Rowdy_2002
11-12-2004, 08:35 AM
I would think that you would have better luck with the turbo diesel here in OZ.
I have seen a couple around on the streets.... Mostly tradesmen I think. Probably because they write of the fuel costs....

cooky
15-12-2004, 07:23 PM
definitely the diesel.

I would think about $15k aus to convert.

they seem to sell for around $80k yes - I would budget though to sell as low as $60k (that's what I'd pay for one).

AaronF
16-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Hmmm - as I figured it seems like a lot of work for little return even if it was a new one with the heated leather seats (wimpy tradesmen over here I'll tell ya! Who would be caught dead with luxuries like that at home?) and a 8 Ton towing capacity - yes 8 tons. I don't think the average Aussie ever wants to own a boat that weighs eight tons let alone tow one. You would however, look pretty cool in this baby towing a nice 685 Cruisecraft Outsider behind her up the beach at Fraser and then offering to help tow someone across the blow wouldn't you? Honestly though they know SFA about real off road stuff over here. A fuel tank even on something like this might get you 400km which doesn't exactly make it "made for the rought stuff" does it. Still I must admit a black one of these with the huge set of tyres they put on them and the rumble of that Cummins does make me look sideways when they pull up next to me. Especially since I'm sittin in the equivalent of a Hyundai Coupe 4 banger that's not got a great deal of road presence. Oh well back to the drawing board. Thanks anyway - Aaron