PDA

View Full Version : Poly Bars

Jack_Lives_Here
01-12-2004, 01:38 PM
I'm after feedback from anyone that has one the Smart Bars (spun polyethalene) fitted and has experienced animal strike ie: hit a roo at speed. What damage was sustained at what speed??

deb
01-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Look at work for a digi tomorrow, we had a car at Emerald test one :D no promises though

caveman
01-12-2004, 03:38 PM
was tolod a company running trucks out west fitted them on a couple of trucks as a trial and now has them on all the fleet as they were cracking the shazzy(spelling) on the front of the trucks, after fitting these bullbars it all stopped from the added absorbtion from the poly bars

deb
01-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Also, have a look at this link, it was used in the proposal for us to get one.
http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Archive/2004_5/16721.asp
Cheers

davo
02-12-2004, 03:43 AM
Who makes them? Where can you get them?

Jack_Lives_Here
02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks Dreamdays. Will have a serious look at these. Have seen them on plenty of cars. Have a steel bar on my 4x4 but on a sedan it comes down to a weight issue also, so are very real option.

Davo - do a search on google for Smart Bars

Thebuffalo
02-12-2004, 05:09 PM
They certainly return to their original shape. Only drawback is they flex to a point and the damage is caused. I spoke with a fella in Alice who had one on his Triton, hit a roo, put his fan thru the radiator. he was selling the poly bar and had put his old alloy one back on. The poly one looked like new though.

murrayscod
11-12-2004, 11:50 AM
dads had one on his last two patrols and never had any problems with them. saw them in our local opposite lock brochure for around 860.

Needmorerum
31-12-2004, 06:04 PM
After coming in contact with many sorts of wildlife when on our outback holidays, I wouldn't go anything but a good solid bar. If it is protection you are after and not just somewhere to mount lights, then stick with the proven.
Everyone's idea of a solid hit by wildlife will be different, until you have hit a big grey roo, it's like hitting a brick wall.
If you go alloy bar, make sure you get one of the stronger versions, not the shiny ribbed poofy ones that are for looks only. I used an alloy bar on my Cruiser for quite some time and, I have always tried to line up anything dead centre. This gives the most solid point of the bar, instead of the weaker 'wings'. It was great up until about 6 weeks ago. Had to go to Mackay to pick the kids up from Pops, couldn't decide weather to take the Cruiser, or our Barina. Glad I took the Cruiser, at around 9.30pm, whack, big grey, dead smack in the middle. When it rolled around, it hit the wing of the bar and pushed it back so it was just off the front panels and lights. This was just a quick trip up to pick up the kids, hitting something on the road never even crossed my mine. Although, I guess, this is when it will happen. I now have a steel bar on the front.
Preferably, go the steel option. Tougher springs may be an option, if overhang weight is the problem, springs cost bugger all compared to insurance excess and panel damage. Last thing you need is to hit something, or worse, the wife hit something when alone, at midnight, miles from home out of mobile phone range.

Just my two bobs worth,

Corry

Needmorerum
31-12-2004, 06:05 PM
Just a quick thought, drop into your local ARB shop, they have a video of bull bar testing. I think this covers the Poly bars as well. Maybe worth a look.

No affiliation, yadda yadda. (sort of)

Corry

Bozo
06-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Where i live in the North West of WA roos are thick, in particular the big reds, some of them look like from their size they are on steroids. I own a 100 Series L/C, had a few roo strikes and cant fault my steel roo bar, one item I have used is Shoo Roo, had less trouble since I installed them.

Regards
Bozo

Jack_Lives_Here
06-01-2005, 01:53 PM
I've pretty much decided on alloy bar, primarily because it offers the most protection for a sedan type vehilce. Weight is also a major consideration. It's going on a BA Falcon ute.
I clocked 78,000km for 2004 and half is country (Cunnamulla, Charleville, Longreach etc) driving. Have been extremely fortunate not to smack one but had some serious close calls. Bloody WedgeTail eagles are my biggest concern. They take about as long to get airborn as a B52.