PDA

View Full Version : Petrol 4X4's and Creeks??

Tezzaman
04-02-2005, 06:07 AM
Ok, I have a '97 Hilux 2.7 Petrol. Im going around australia for 6 months and am wondering about the creeks int he cape and NT/WA and what we should do to prepare for the low creeks we might have to cross. Any help or tips would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks eveyone!!

Terry

zaneg
04-02-2005, 09:07 PM
I have a 96 Model 2.8 Diesel Hilux

Motor wise, petrols handle a little water intake better than a diesel (don't like water at all), but in saying that I wouldn't try starting a motor that has stalled midstream until I had checked that the water level was below the air intake. Having an old canvas to stretch across the front is always handy as it helps create an air pocket in the engine bay as well as help block crap getting into the radiator.

Check breather valves on anything that may have one i.e. diff, transfer case, gearbox. These are designed to be one way from memory but dirt can keep them stuck open allowing water in. If serious, replace with an extention hose thats well above expected water level.

When we traveled across Aus some of the creek crossings to places like Mitchel Plateau, WA, had just opened. These crossing where windscreen deep and still had a little flow. Apart from walking all creeks you don't know (commonsense), for these situations, I use low ratio, low gear, low speed, high revs (always choose your gear before making the crossing and dont change gear during the crossing unless it's absolutley nessessary to go down a gear). Less chance of stalling and less chance of bouncing up into the water and getting carried down stream. Where the flow is a little heavier I also engage the use of a whinch where possible, again to stop being carried down stream.

Prior preparation to any crossing is the key. A couple mins walking the crossing could save alot of heartache and time in the long run. Also make sure you have the nessessary gear to be rescued with. People travelling these tracks don't usually mind giving a hand but they mind even less when you have your straps/whinch ready to go when they get there.

The wife and I travelled about a month after the wet was well and trully over (still nice and green) covering from Darwin - Brissie - Alice Springs - Broom - kimberlys - Darwin. Awsome trip and not one hiccup. I think the key to our success was that we weren't in a hurry to be anywhere. My mate on the other hand, started a motor after stalling in a deep crossing, $6000 motor gone. Two months later another $3000 for the transfer case/gearbox as it wasn't drained after the event and water finally killed it too.

Once the kiddies are a little bigger we're off to the top for a looksee, especially now that we're based in Townsville.

Enjoy your trip and have a safe one.

Zane

Tezzaman
05-02-2005, 03:47 AM
Zane.....What can I say but THANK YOU!!!! Thats exactly what I wanted!!! Thank so much for your reply GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! We have a basic time frame we need to stick to but definately not rushing by any means.

LOL when I was reading your post about water upto the windscreen I was like your mad!!!! But I guess if you have to cross you have to cross or find another route 2 hours down the river. Hoepfully we'll be ok!! We have all the recovery gear needed so I guess it was just a case of to be sure. We are heading off from Brisi down to melbourne/adelaide then perth then the kimberlies over to darwin/kakadu down to the big rock then upto the cape and back to brisi. Were going in a group of 6 with 3 4X4's so it should be a great trip!! :)

We will be up the kimberlies/kakadu in may which is what you did, a month after the heavy rainfall. Fingers crossed anyways!! :)

Thanks again for your reply.

jimbamb
05-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Mate,
As u are travelling with a group make sure u aren't the first one across deep water,Its easier to get someone to drag u out forward if it stops(Usually from steam in the dizzy) than it is to drag it out backward.Leaves u on the wrong side of the crossing as well..Have your snatch strap attached to the front of the vehicle(Not on the alum bullbar) as they tend to break.hurling a length of alum tubing thru the rear window of the towing vehicle.If u go up/down the old telegraph line (Cape York) there are a few deep crossings.A piece of tarp fitted over the front will help keep the water off the dizzy/spray from fan etc. Personally,I wont use WD40 etc on dizzy as i feel it makes them more suseptabile to shorting out after its been used a few times.Have a piece of soft DRY rag and remove dizzy cap and dry inside if it gets wet.Replace cap and try starting. usually works.Hope this helps

BS
06-02-2005, 09:26 PM
good post zane.

tezza mate, when you walk creek's you can't see the bottom of, walk across the line you'll take as well - if the wheel tracks are rutted out badly, you might ground the diff - it's a real bugger to deal with once you're stuck

hit ya points with inox if the lux tries to become a submarine.

have a great trip.

cheers

Big_Kev
07-02-2005, 03:01 AM
It can also pay to take the fan belts off just for the creek crossing, just loosen and zip tie away from the drive pulley, preventing the fan from spraying water over the engine, also plastic fans can disintergrate if they hit water when running.
A good snorkle will help to prevent sucking a gut full of water in as well.