PDA

View Full Version : 24 volt import problem?

ZooTv
05-02-2005, 11:48 AM
hi,

I just bough a nissan safari. Import version on the patrol. its a 1988 4.2 diesel. The only thing i don't really like about it, is that its a 24 volt system. i want to be able to run 12 volt appliances of it. i.e. sterio, mobile compressor, mobile phone charger, lights, fridge, and anything else i come across later.

what is the best senario for the problem?? I have been told two different things for different people.

1. you can run all 12volt things of just the one battery directly,

2. you can't do that cause you could either kill you battery, or kill the appliance. So you need a reducer?

If you do need a reducer, what size, how many amps?? for the things i want to use it for.

I also want to put some 12volt ciggie plugs in the back, preferably 4.

whats the best way to go about all this.

One last thing. If my battery goes flat, how do i start it again?? can you jump start straight of a 12volt car?? or am i in trouble, (i figure i have buckles chance of finding another 24volt car out in the bush)

cheers, any help would be great!!

FLATHEAD1
05-02-2005, 12:35 PM
ZooTv

I have a 1987 gq safari 24volt. We bought a 12<24 volt transformer from supercheap but it melted.

What I did was to run from the right hand batttery to a couple of cig lighters in the back for the fridge and to recharge the battery pack etc. The batteries are wired in series and to be sure ran a + and - from the battery to the cig lighters.

The winch originally was connected to the right battery only. We replaced the winch and front bar with an alloy bull bar.

We did run the battery flat over night when camping. The fridge however was still working but the diesel wouldn't crank. We connected a 12v 600amp battery pack to the right battery and it kicked over no dramas.

I am not sure that as you say that this is the best for the battery but maybe if they were alternated occasiionally it may prolong the life of the battery.

Cheers
FH1

MTpockets
06-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Is it in fact a 24 volt system, or just 2 x 12 volt batteries connected inline?
Seems odd.

FLATHEAD1
06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
The batteries are wired in series.
2 x12 = 24 volts
Had to replace all the bulbs in my mates trailer I borrowed.

Cheers
FH1

freefish
06-02-2005, 09:05 PM
Hi, We solved this problem on one of our trucks with a 24 to 12 volt converter. Plugged into truck cig lighter (24v male) & had a 12v female so we could use 12v radios etc. Have one one the shelf if you want it cheap Bill

Brett_Hoskin
07-02-2005, 09:11 AM
MAte if you are using a Waeco fridge it will run on 24v and you wont need to get carried away withhuge wiring s with 12 volts.

I personally would prefer to have 24 volts.. fewer electrical probs.

FLATHEAD1
21-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Found the first problem with the imported 24v system. When I was tinkering around with the trailer lights I must have accidentally blown the brake light fuse.

Popped the fuse cover off and it's all written in japanese.

Luckily the first fuse I pulled out was the right one. Might have to buy a manual.

Cheers
FH1