PDA

View Full Version : Early Landrover

freefish
03-04-2005, 03:43 AM
Have a chance to acquire (very cheap) a 78-80 LWB deisel landrover in pretty fair condition: straight body rebuilt motor good drive train. I know the usual problems slow, noisy etc but what is the best way to go about getting it started again without doing too much damage It hasn't been started for a couple of years Thanks Bill

MEGA'bite
03-04-2005, 04:06 AM
Hi Bill i would surgest to take out the fuse for the glow plug/s or disconnect. Put fresh oil/deisel fuel and filters for both.Turn it over until you have oil pressure up reconnect glow plugs and go from there. The only damage that could accur is spinning a bearing on the crank hence get the oil pressure up first. Dont be surprised if it blows heaps of smoke for awile until it burns all the crap out of the cylinders and exhaust pipe. I did the same thing in the same manner and it worked for me . Cheers Adrian.

Big_Kev
03-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Check the oil and water.
Throw in a new battery check all the connections have a good look around for anything out of place and start it up. It is always good to qualify the oil pressure as some engines will not pick up oil straight away and can cause drama as stated.
Run it for a minute shut it down and have a look around again.
If it all looks good run it up till it is nice and warm and drive it testing the brakes and steering.
Then buy the old banger.

BE WARNED i tell you of Landroveritis which see's men turned into jibbering fools that others cannot make sense of.

benny
04-04-2005, 03:01 AM
Kev be carefull you all most said some nice things about landies their// those geolanders i bought of you are still going strong i did 30k with them then gave em to a friend 4months ago for his pajero still half tread on the buggers a good buy for me thank you Benny