PDA

View Full Version : imported safaris

jimi
02-04-2005, 05:53 PM
hey folks im wanting to import a nissan safari myself for few reasons 1. to get around the 15yr rule in WA. 2 to cut out importer/dealer profits.3 so i can get a 4.2 turbo diesel with auto tranny. Im just starting to do my reasearch and i know i can get a 94 black high roof 42td auto 90000ks into port(freo)for $13000 aus dollars. What im wanting help with is if anyone has any advice on what steps to take to do it myself.I understand theres a risk so want to make sure i get every step right. Any websites with info people can direct me to would be appreciated.I know of the 24v issue and insurance hassles.

FLATHEAD1
02-04-2005, 06:46 PM
You need to be real sure about the 15 year rule. If not customs will send it to the crushers.

You need the price of the vehicle FOB then add insurance and freight add port handling charges add customs cost add quarrantine costs add decontamination cost add 10% duty add 10% GST add compliance fees add modification costs add engineers fees add rwc add rego add stamp duty add plate fees and insurnace.

If you have imported anything before it is sometimes easier to use a freight forwarder to do all they running around. They can do everthing including delivery to your door.

You will need to Contact the Federal Department of Transport to get authority to bring it in once you purchase the vehilce and prior to freighting it over. If the boat arrives with out authority in place customsy will not allow the vehicle to be unloaded or they send it to the crusher. This take about 3 weeks.

Do a search for Japan Partner they usually have a few.

I didn't think they came as a factory turbo 4.2 until the Gu was released.

Just Cars will insure them for about $450 Rating 1 full comp.

24V is no problem. The only problem i have had i blew some fuses and it is all written in jap. Easy solved just by a gregories repar manual.

I have a 87 GQ 4.2 diesel manual with 123k klms and it is a great truck.

I did not import mine but was looking forward to the 80 series cruiser when they are 15 years old as a replacement.

Do your homework first. I reckon there is good savings to be had and you get a vehicle with far less klms and with a lot more options.

Cheers
FH1

jimi
03-04-2005, 10:33 AM
thanks for the advice FH1
GQ's were released in japan with a factory turbo diesel from aug '93 model ywrgy60.
the main aspect im after is the auto trans so at the moment im just trying to work out if its going to be economical and viable to import one myself or if i should just buy a 15yr old straight 42d auto from and importer and have an aftermarket turbo fitted ? if i do import one succesfully myself il post the info on how i did it and how much its either cost me or saved me.

FLATHEAD1
06-04-2005, 04:56 AM
The more expensive the vehicle you buy FOB then it becomes far more expensive because of the multiplying factors x import duty x GST x stamp duty.

I have not imported one but own one. I looked into bring in an 80 series to replace my nissan. With only 135k klms it could be a while.

Cheers
FH1