PDA

View Full Version : GQ Patrol fuel economy

ads
08-04-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm after a bit of info regarding fuel stats from Gq diesel owners. Both on road and off road would be nice if you have it.

Cheers
ads

Daintreeboy
08-04-2005, 11:33 PM
around the 15L/100 km average mate. On road cruising may see as good as 12 depending on the drive but can go up to around 18 stop/start city stuff.
Off road is not much different until you get into the rough stuff and it can blow out to the mid to high 20's. It needs to be solid low range stuff for this though.
Cheers, Mark.

FLATHEAD1
09-04-2005, 03:16 AM
I have a 4.2l non-turbo. It gets around 12l/100k normally and probably 18l/100k when towing.

I have found it economical off road. After 3 hours the needle hardly moves. That's just chugging around the Vic high country. I don't push it.

I think beach work would really chew the fuel.

Cheers
FH1

ads
09-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess that 12l/100k is not too bad really for a 4by like the patrol. Its understandable they chew a bit more fuel offroad.
Did the early Gq come with factory turbo??

Thanks again
ads

blaze
09-04-2005, 02:25 PM
dont know why people put fuel economy and 4X4 in the same sentence. If you drive a 4X4 it should be for a purpose, power or towing ability and if it does the job its designed to do its going to use fuel. If you want to talk economy, buy yourself a nice little 4 cyc fuel injected car and drive within the speed limits
IMO
cheers
blaze
cost me between $70 and $100 dollars to fill my RR, depends what I do to how often it cost that much

ads
09-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Gee, thanks for your gracious words of advice. Was just a simple question that requires a simple answer, not the ins and out of why I should own a 4wd.

Cheers
ads

blaze
09-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Hi ads
wasnt trying to be a pain in the rear end, but facts are facts, any real 4X4 is gonna use fuel, big motors require a lot of fuel. Seems to me people sometimes buy a means of transport that they dont need or cant afford to run, same as boats. I may be a bit of a grey haired old fart but I tell it how I see it. No offence meant. I just fill it up when I need to and fix it when i need to
cheers
blaze

ads
09-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Blaze,
No dramas and no offence taken. I agree that some people look at 4wd as some sort of status symbol, and make thier decisions based on what they would look best in, but this is not my case ( otherwise I would be going for the new Lexus or something ;D).
I was just after general info , although it makes no difference to the fact that I will get one.

Cheers
ads

SURF_SNIPER
10-04-2005, 06:42 AM
hey blaze, you dont need a big motor in a 4wd or for towing or offroad work, you just need the right gearing. you could have a 6.5 l v8 diesle which could perform like shit if the gearing isnt right. my 2.5 4cly turbo dielse kills the big 4.2 turbo 6cly patrols in the towing stakes this is all due to it having the lowest gearing out of any 4x4 avalible.
there is a very marginal increase in fuel cosumption and this can only ever be seen when in low range 1st and 2nd gears for long periods of time in my defender and it goes almost anywhere.

Big_Kev
10-04-2005, 04:40 PM
dont know why people put fuel economy and 4X4 in the same sentence. If you drive a 4X4 it should be for a purpose, power or towing ability and if it does the job its designed to do its going to use fuel. If you want to talk economy, buy yourself a nice little 4 cyc fuel injected car and drive within the speed limits
IMO
cheers
blaze
cost me between $70 and $100 dollars to fill my RR, depends what I do to how often it cost that much

I think you are wrong here Blaze.
some of the latest Turbo Diesel 4x4's around are very good on the juice and still give 150kw and 400nm for a return of 30mpg-10ltr/100k.
I will be interested to find out how good the new Toyota engines are going to be. They have been behind the times for many years now.

I think you will get 22mpg around town in the Datsun Ads.

Big_Kev
10-04-2005, 04:44 PM
my 2.5 4cly turbo dielse kills the big 4.2 turbo 6cly patrols in the towing stakes

Thats a bold statement.
Not saying i do not believe you.

noodles
11-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi

I have a 98 gu patrol standard 4.2 The last time i did a fuel consumption check i drove 780 kilometers around town and filled up 104 litres. About 50 kilometers of this was towing the boat (5.5 Quintrex) Have fitted extractors and economy has improved and so has torque

Cheers

ads
11-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the reply noodles,
That works out to 13.3L/Km which is not too bad at all, especially aroound town stuff.
Thanks again
Adam

adrian
20-04-2005, 03:58 AM
i owned one for ages t. it got down to 10ltrs / 100 kms it's all how you drive it mine had extractors and sncorkel?? fitted . only problem is that if you get bad fuel you are up for big $$ to get the fuel pump re done . bad fuel can come from any servo i got mine from the city . must it be diesil ? petrol is not different and you can put it on gas . you don't lose any power

anzac

swills
22-04-2005, 07:06 AM
Own a Nissan 2.8 diesel turbo 1995 and tow a Savage Lancer from Melb. to Port Albert and get about 12 -13 L/100km. Best economy has been 10.2 L/100km empty cruising on 100, highway with a tail wind. In the Vic. Mts I get around 11.5 L/100km. Have found "Shell" diesel to give best results for power and economy, but you pay for it. Have noticed over the years the difference in the quality of diesel from the various suppliers.