PDA

View Full Version : Niisan X Trail any thing bad?

defa
29-06-2005, 03:42 PM
I am looking at a Nissan X Trail (new) to tow my Qunnie 455, on a braked 810kg total max loaded trailer, If anyone has any negative info or things to look out for, please let me know!!.
Have studied Rav4, Tucson, Forester, CRV & driven all, feel Xtrail has the most pull, but no dealer around here have a tow bar fitted to try with boat in tow. ???

kleiny
30-06-2005, 04:57 AM
should be ok just don't go on the beach. not much clearance
kleiny

2iar
01-07-2005, 05:29 PM
My wife's got one, and she's really happy with it. She tested the CRV, RAV4 etc too, and the X-trail was streets ahead.

Never towed anything with it (no tow bar either), but it was one of the things I asked about. I'm sure it would handle your boat no worries, as I'm pretty certain it's rated to tow more than the others.

The only time it's been on the beach, I got it bogged - though I was trying to, by parking it in soft stuff, and seeing if I could get it going again from a standing start (my mate was driving my Cruiser for backup, recovery gear at the ready). It's got a good anchor point at the front for a snatch-strap ;D

Stay off the soft stuff where possible, let a bit of air out of the tyres, maintain momentum and drive it with a bit of common sense (none of which I dd) and you'll be right. Didn't find the clearance any issue at all (but the tyres were fully inflated).

I reckon she'll have had it about a year, and has nothing to complain about. Well, at least in relation to her choice of car ;D

Good luck,
Mike

Brett_Hoskin
03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Pulsar with a rear clutch driven axel

stunnedmullet
06-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Hi Defa
I am probably wrong, but does the x trail have dual hi-lo range 4wd? From my vague recollection when I was trying 4wd, they didn't. Something to consider.
As a matter of interest I went the Hilux SR5. Good clearance, tough as nails and pulls like a champ. No I do not want to open a can of worms here.......
The mullet

Fishej
09-07-2005, 05:08 PM
Hey defa, I got an X-Trail with all the bells and whistles including auto. tows my 4.1m tinnie very well (thinking about going bigger recon it will be fine). I was concerned about it being fwd having only had rwd cars before but don't consider this a problem now. At 132kw power is about same as commodore and falcon though at higher revs, I suppose because its a 4cyl. Good on juice even towing. Have never been off road as I consider it to be a car but I remember seeing some 4x4 mag reports saying there ok (I can't remember which ones sorry). I don't think the manual version has dual range, the auto certainly dosn't. had mine two yrs no troubles very comfortable very happy. Hope this helps.

westie
10-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Had mine for 2 years top of the range and tows a savage 485 it is atuo and when towing youmust have the OD button on. Have had it up at DIPoint and through the freshwater track in the dry power sand 25PSI and did it with ease the only problem was getting on to the boards on the Leisha track got about 10' from it and run out of grunt. When going over soft sand or through Mud with an Auto LOCK in 4X4 and 1st and drive it if you stop it will back out no problems.
Just come back from a 2000k trip and got 10-11 litres prer 100k
If you want a chat give me a yell on the Mob 0420047987 (steve)

The muffler it the bid stopper if you want to go bush 4X4 if buying 2rd hand have a look at it if dinted you know she has been offroad.
Just remember it is a TOWN 4X4 NOT a BUSH 4X4 and don't think of taking it up the beach towing anything as it lacks staying power GRUNT!!!!!!!!

Another thing is the Hondas etc you can NOT lock into 4X4 Mode
they select it for you and in a tight situation it may be to late.

defa
10-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Many thanks Guy's, look like it will do every thing I need, ::) after all the wife thinks off road is a gravel road, looks like a Ti for me. ;D
Mike