PDA

View Full Version : 100 Series Cruiser roof rack rating

2iar
29-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Hi,

I've got a 100 series Cruiser, with 3 racks and a basket tray. Does anyone know what it's rated to carry in kg's?

Thanks,
Mike

magicpudding
29-06-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure as a whole, but from memory each bar is rated for either 80 or 100kg? If they're genuine ones there should be a sticker on the underside.

CJ

kleiny
30-06-2005, 04:50 AM
depends on what type of rack it is in know rhino racks each bar acreoss improves the rating by 50kg, as far as i know these are the strongest .

hope this is some help

kleiny

2iar
30-06-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks Kleiny,

I've got 3 rhino's, so that would give me 150. Deduct the weight of the tray and it's probably around 120.

Interesting, because the last few camping trips I must have had > 200 up there. Probably not a great idea, but at least we've never run out of beer ;D ;D

Mike

seabug
30-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Nothing in the owners manual(should be)
So I checked with local dealer.
Roof load is 200kg max.
He says that is with 3 bars.
That is on a 2004 diesel

That is a lot extra than the 80 series.
Regards
Seabug

2iar
30-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Seabug,

That's interesting mate, as I heard the 80 series (used to have one myself) was rated higher than the 100 - think it was because the 80 had gutters, though that didn't really make sense to me.

Thanks for checking with the dealer mate - I really should have done that myself ;D

Good luck,
Mike

seabug
23-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I was told by the dealer recently that the 100 series has a 200kg roof load rating.

I shopped around the 4x4 centres and the heaviest bars that I could buy were the Rhino as Kleiny stated earlier,at 50kg a bar.
Does anyone know why the bar rating is lower than the roof rating?

Regards
Seabug

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-07-2005, 05:47 PM
with all due respect that's a stupid amount of weight to put up high in a vehicle

Derek Bullock
23-07-2005, 06:12 PM
I just put roof racks on the IO and have the Rhino Rack Specs and they say:

- Gutter mount legs are rated to 100 kg per pair of crossbars
- Gutterless type vehicles using the Mont Blanc Bars are usually rated at 75kg per pair of crossbars
- While the Track Mount Systems are rated at 100 kg per pair of crossbars, capacity restriction is relative to the roof of the vehicle not the roof racks.

Note: It says "per pair" of bars. I am not so sure that a third bar increases that by another 50 kg as has been suggested. It's not suggested anywhere in their specs.

Even the Rhino Boat Loader that has 3 bars only recommends a boat weight of 100 kg. (NM Pajero max 60 kg's)

Cheers

Derek

seabug
23-07-2005, 09:48 PM
http://lc100.toyota.com.au/TWR/vehicle/Content/0,4216,1520_202,00.html

See link above=Toyota 100 series Specifications
vehicle weight 2500kg.
Roof load 200kg

3 Rhino bars quoted at Geelong for above=150kg.

Regards
Seabug

gawby
24-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Be very careful when loading on roof racks. The centre of cravity changes and control of the vehicle changes. Just look at the hire vehicles on frazer island the way they roll around. The best place in my opinion for exra weight is in the vehicle or in a tralier. If you havent driven with weight over the roof before i would suggest doing it by yourself in a quiet area to see what it is like in different driving conditions.
Happy and safe trails if you load your roof racks.

Graeme

seabug
25-07-2005, 04:42 AM
"with all due respect that's a stupid amount of weight to put up high in a vehicle "

One thing to consider is that all vehicles are covered by Australian Design Rules

So the 200kg roof mass on a 100 series cruiser that is designed to go across and up 45 degree slopes,has a low centre of gravity+weighs 2500 kg would be only pro-rata with the small loadings allowed on narrow wheelbase,lightweight,small 4x4's
Regards
Seabug

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-07-2005, 05:32 PM
perhaps seabug the phrase "rated to" is regarded unfortunately as interpretively as the phrase "speed limit".

seabug
25-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Hi Chris,
Trying to work out where you are coming from
The weight of 200kg roof mass/150kg roof bar capacity on the 100 series is the same pro-rata as the 40kg load capacity on Rola roofbars fitted to a Holden Barina
Are you therefore saying that the 40 kg loading on the Barina is excessive.

Both loadings are passed as suitable for the respective vehicles by the Australian Government.

Interested in the reason for your opinion.
Regards
Seabug

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-07-2005, 02:13 AM
the link between large & small vehicles was your own ...

MY point was, & I think Graeme picked it up, that to take a manufacturer's top rating & regard that as "safe" in extreme conditions is foolish.
4WD owners do all sorts of things like lower tyre pressures that can change the equation.

A roof rating is a downward force vector and to think that taking things to that limit protects you against changes in momentum in a vehicle at speeds & conditions the manufacturer cannot predict in combination is ...
stupid.

IT IS A LIMIT.

v. rat·ed, rat·ing, rates
To specify the performance limits of (a machine, for example): This fuse is rated at 50 amperes.

lim·it #n

The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.

(*source - dictionary.com)

To take vehicles to their limits endanger yourself, my family if I'm nearby & my mates who work in the emergency services.

cheers,
chris ;)

seabug
26-07-2005, 05:00 AM
[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]