PDA

View Full Version : Rust Protection

Heath
04-07-2005, 12:47 PM
With a new Prado weeks away, I'm wondering about rust protection.
I'll be keeping the car for about 5 years.
Do you think rust protection mandatory for a car that will visit the beach up to 6 times a year?
I can't imagine the car being a rusted hulk by the end of 5 years as long as it is given a good wash down when arriving home after a beach trip. ???

Big_Kev
04-07-2005, 01:44 PM
Its a good idea to do it from new Heath.
You may end up keeping the vehicle or end up selling it private.(good selling point)
I would think that Rust Protection is manditory for 4x4's these days, in particular if going to the beach.

NeilD
04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Whats everyone using. Barrier or electronic?

Neil

slugo
05-07-2005, 03:36 AM
Neil
I use barrier on my vehicles and never had a problem I am at the beach most days and I wash the vehicle down each time top and bottom. as for electronic I know this bloke who has one on his cruiser and he lives on the beach (tin city stocton beach)and he never washes his cruiser and there is no rust to be seen he swears by them.

kleiny
07-07-2005, 05:58 AM
i use spray on havn't had a problem yet. also have friends with electric & there's a good also. if i bought a new i would use electric on an old car i would use spray on. yes i think you should put some sort of rust proofing on. better to be safe than sorry.
kleiny

hoga
07-07-2005, 03:43 PM
dont worry about it it keeps us panelbeaters in work

CHRIS_aka_GWH
08-07-2005, 02:21 AM
what's rust ?

;)

madman1
08-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Get in touch with Rocketfishman (Nathan). He's got all the info you need re electronic rust. He sells the things.

I've got the electronic rust prevention on the Jackaroo and am very happy with it. The only place rusting is the radiator as I am led to believe it has no contact with the electric pulses.

Apart from that they work a treat.

Cheers

Mark [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Fishinmishin
15-07-2005, 08:08 AM
Both is best ;D

Black_Rat
15-07-2005, 12:45 PM
What electronic systems are you guys using (brands) ?
Damo

Coke
18-07-2005, 05:50 AM
Can you let me know how to get in touch with Rocketfisherman. Got a couple of vehicles that need protection.
Coke

Derek Bullock
18-07-2005, 05:55 AM
I've got electronic on the Pajero IO. I was told that they also stop your paint oxidising. Anyone got any info on that? ? ? ?

Cheers

Derek

westie
18-07-2005, 05:19 PM
I am using CAT on the xtrail, went this way so when i sell it I can transfer it to the next vehicle
have a look here

http://www.roemarketing.com.au/benefits.html

TonyM
19-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi Westie,

Mind if I ask how much the cat was? I'm getting a new(er) fourbie and am interested in the cost of fitting an erps. Although if I get the Disco I've been looking at this migh be overkill as the only rust concern would be the chassis (I think) as all the panels are alloy

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi Westie,

Although if I get the Disco I've been looking at this migh be overkill as the only rust concern would be the chassis (I think) as all the panels are alloy

I could be wrong but I thought the only Landies with Al panels were of the Defender bloodline. Even still protecting the chasis would be worthwhile. It is for any offroader one of the first things a thoughtful buyer looks at.

SURF_SNIPER
20-08-2005, 07:49 AM
your right chris, fender blood lines ( real landies ) are the only all alloy bodied rovers ( except earlie rangies ) disco have steel panels.... still rust slower then a cruiser ;D

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-08-2005, 08:10 PM
drew,

LRover just released today images of the Defenders push into the tourist market.

As you may know with tourist vehicles safety is a primary concern & even though most safety equipment is never needed or rarely used it must be in place "just in case".

This is the Defender Troop-Carrier's Emergency Escape Hatch - never will sieze due to rusting - can be operated by most Aussie males without training.