PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Which 4WD for towing

pbright
29-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Help. I have a 94 diesel Patrol used to tow 1.6 tonne of tandom caravan. Wife thinks the patrol is too "truck like" and wants something better. Our partol is very thirsy -20 to 24 litres per 100 towing. So what is better. Does anyone tow with the 3.2 Turbo Pajaro or 3 litre Jackaroo. Would a Prado do the trick or are these other cars TOO light for the job. Landcrusers are out of my price range. I personnally love my Patrol but it is thirsty and slow. The Parjaro produces a heck of a lot more kwts and Nm than the patrol 85kw and264 compared to 121kwt and 374Nm (Pajaro). Even the turbo 4.2 doesn't seem to rate that well 114Kw 330MN. How come. It seems to me that the BIG Nissan has a weaker motor than the pajaro, 3litre Patrol, Jackaroo or Prado. What is best. Most work is pulling the caravan but I do go off road - mainly sand dunes.

Reefmaster
30-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Hey Pbright
It looks like your after diesel 4X4 but>
I happened to have a mid 98 model 100 series gxl landcruiser for sale.Its a 4.5 litre petrol and automatic.161,000 km Its like brand new and has alloys with near new tyres and rear Air bag suspension which is great for towing. Daul airbags, abs braking, and all the other bells and whistles. Have gotten 900 km out of 140 litres. Not the best on fuel but has a heap of balls to tow anything. If intrested let me know and i can email you pics. after a quick sale and only want $30,000

# # # # # # # # # # Cheers Greg

jimbamb
30-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Mate,
Its a bit like how long is a bit of string!!!Everyone has their own ideas an recons their vehicle is the best.Only advise i'd give ya is to make sure the vehicle ya look at can LEGALLY tow ya van.Its gettin so that dmr people are checkin towball weights and towing capacity.I towed a 17.5 ft van around aus with a 2,8 hilux.It was underporered but done the job.I got between 14 and 18 mpgDepending on the wind/hills etc Late model 3l Turbo seem to get the job done fairly well.Talked to lots of people,most people with 3l turbo nissans recon they were gettin the best fuel resultsCruisers were very thirsty.Latest model ones with elect fuel inj were better.When ya payin up to 1.40 a litre fuel consumption is very important.Big fuel tanks can level it out a bit by filling up where its a little cheaper.
Hope this is of some help

pbright
01-07-2004, 05:54 AM
Thanks Jim. That info helps. I too have heard some pretty good things about the 3l Nissan. So the next one is - manual verses automatic. I've ALAWYS towed with a manual. Is an auto as fuel efficient. I thought they were thirstier. Does an auto loose power? Do they tend to over heat more? The Nissan Auto only tows 2500kg where the manual is 3200kg. Does that mean the gear box is not as strong?

Sportfish_5
01-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Got a 3.0lt TD manual Patrol and it goes well. First Nissan I have had after having mostly Tojos and a Pajero.

Good economy and I love the 4cyl rego costs ;D ;D

Cheers

Greg

jimbamb
01-07-2004, 10:58 AM
Gday PB,
Never towed with a auto heard too many stories about cooking them .I know It is absolutely necessary to have a gear box oil cooler fitted if ya have an auto.Fuel cons will be higher with auto.as they change back when it siuts them.problems arise when they cant decide which gear they should be in so they overheat.On the other hand a lot of ppl go auto??Who knows???

Big_Kev
01-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Most of the big manufacturers recomend an auto when towing the bigger weights.
But I would think that as long as you can handle a manual towing that weight I would go for manual. (a lot of Japs can't drive for shit and burn out clutches,that is my opinion of the recomendation).
I have heard reports that the 3 ltr Nissan patrols aren't good for returning high miles and the manuals have troubles in the 5th gear. (hear say but)
I would think that a 6cyl turbo diesel manual and a free flow exhaust, along with a later model electronic engine is what you would need to tow the van and get some improvement in the fuel department. But with a big van and the aerodynamics of a hippo you will just have to get use to pumping fuel. ;D

jimbamb
02-07-2004, 06:49 AM
Just remembered,Check out some of the large 4wds reccomend NOT using 5th gear for towing.Land cruisers in particular.Its in the owners Manual Worth Checkin out.

blaze
02-07-2004, 11:01 AM
not towing in 5th
what tends to happen is the retaining system that retains 5th gear fails under extra thrust applied, not only big 4x4 either.
I preference is for manual gearbox for towing. an auto gearbox is a series of wet clutches and they do wear out also.
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
02-07-2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah 5th gear is the same for the smaller 4x4 as well only not as heavy duty as the bigger rigs.
Fourth gear connects the crank directly to the mainshaft of the transmission and directly to the output of the main trans, and (depending on the trans), through the transfer box to the tailshaft.
Good idea to drop out of overdrive when the load increases and when towing and not let the engine load up.
I have reread this post and I still think if you want to tow the big van then you will need the big 4X4 and your wife will just have to come to terms with the turck or come to terms with a smaller van. I know what my wifes reaction to that would be. LOL :P

pbright
02-07-2004, 09:37 PM
Thnaks for all your help. We have just purchased a 2001 ST Patrol 3 litre turbo manual. It certainly has a heck of a lot more power than my old 4.2 straight Ford Maverick diesel- seems nearly double the power. Ended up paying $38000 with a $12000 trade in. Probably got doen BUT it is in mint condition and can with all the fruit - duel batteris, reece tow bar, bull bar, side steps etc etc.The new patrol has 30000kms on the clock. I'll tell you how it goes later. With a bit of luck I've have it next week when we take off to Gnarloo for a week. I can then report on the power and the emconomy.

Cheers and thanks for all your advice.
PS. The wife loves the car but it is still a bit big for her. We're buying some foam so she can see over the steering wheel.

PinHead
04-07-2004, 08:31 AM
Ya should have just gone for the Ford F250...awesome machine.

scott_b
04-07-2004, 02:39 PM
pb
I was talking to a bloke who has a 4.2 turbo Patrol tray back and a 3.0 turbo wagon .He draggs a horse float around with two horses with his 4.2 ute . Had to take the missus and kids somewhere with him and took the 3.0 wagon instead ,reacons the wagon had heaps more power and less fuel.
Hope the wagon does a good job for you.
wamjam

Heath
04-07-2004, 07:10 PM
I tow a 2000kg boat with a petrol Jackaroo. 2002 model. Pulls it fine.

pbright
05-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all your relies and advice. I've just purchased a 2001 3 liter turbo manual Nisan Patrol with 30000kms on the clock for $38000. I got $14000 for my 4.2 diesel 1992 maverick. Wife is OK. We jsut need to raise the seat so she can see over the steering wheel. We take off the Gnarloo this Friday so I'll get back to you on power and fuel consumption. The deciding factor was a mate travelling around Australia with the 3l Nissan. He's getting 15 litres per hundred towing. I was getting 22 to 25 liters per hundred and NO power to overtake . - down to second up hills. I'll soon see if it was worth it. Back in 2 weeks. Thanks again for all your assistance. Peter

CobiaKid
08-07-2004, 03:22 PM
hey reefy this is luke on board lee's cruise craft on the weekend inquiring about you cruiser please send detailes

Reefmaster
08-07-2004, 06:31 PM
hey luke
i have sent you a PM mate

Crewsin
09-07-2004, 06:58 PM
at least you didn't buy an auto ...iv'e heard ( grapevine stuff ) that they have been having problems with them .....Just what i am not sure on ...cooking motors i think .....I have a 2000 model 100 series GXL manual diesel cruiser myself and am towing a 2000 model 17'6 Jayco pop top van tandem axle with it .
No problems as yet ....even hills are looking better compared to my old 60 series, and the comfort is great. I was going to go Nissan myself and looked at one in the yard where i bought mine , but i feel like i am looking over a very high dash , where as the Cruiser tends to have a better seating arrangement for my liking anyway.Fuel is around 12-14 ltrs per 100 towing .

jimbamb
11-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Cruisin,
Are those figures accurate?Over wat distance etc.All the cruisers ive heardabout use that much with no van????

jimbamb
11-07-2004, 10:09 AM
PB,
Good luck with the new wheels.I recon youll be happy with it from wat ive heard around the traps about 3l nissans

pbright
21-07-2004, 02:05 PM
Well we're back from Gnarloo. The Nissan was excellent. Heaps of power!!!. I was loaded with 2 tonne of caravan plus the car and roof rack was also loaded - 80 litres fuel and 80 litres water plus enough firewood for a week and 4 adults. Yeh, I know we overloaded it. BUT she went fine. Needed a cruise control as on 3 occassions I accidentally was travelling 125kph. I averaged 100kph over the 1600km trip. Fuel was not great - 20 litres per hundred BUT I was gunning itall the way. Never been in a vehicle with so much power. I never had to change down a gear. I managed to pass busses and trucks easily. What a thrill. Next trip I do I'll stick to 90kph and see what the fuel consumption is like. With all that power, maybe an auto would be OK. I spoke to a guy with an auto towing an 18 foot tandom poptop. He said it goes well well - no problems. He had the manual 3 litre but just changed over. Fuel consumption remained the same as the manual???? Still he had a VERY light rig. No boat on top - no roof rack - no extra water/fuel/ wood etc etc etc.

My only concern was when driving on EXTREMLY coorgated tracks, the accellorator keeps jerking. The accelorator is NOT on a cable but is electronically controlled. The slightest jerk and of corase the car serges. Really difficult to stop the jerking. Other than than - the car is a gem

Cheers

Peter

Big_Kev
21-07-2004, 02:48 PM
20 ltrs 100k's ? With that weight you can't complain.
Cheers Kev. :)

Sportfish_5
21-07-2004, 05:45 PM
Peter,

You can get plenty of aftermarket cruise control systems. The 3.0lt diesel Patrols does not come with a factory option for cruise control. When I picked up my Patrol it was fitted with a system that works the c/c brainbox via infa-red control on the steering wheel.

Regarding the fuel consumption, we just came back from Cooktown and averaged 11km/litre. Not towing anything on this trip but still happy with that as I was not driving for economy (actually managed much better than that on certain legs) ;D

Cheers
Greg

jimbamb
22-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Its easy to fix the fuel consumption,
GET YA GREAT HEAVY FOOT OFF THE GO PEDAL.....
Anything over 90KPM with a van?trailer etc will use heaps
Do a test not goin over 100 an see how it goes.
125 KPH GEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

snappa
24-07-2004, 09:37 PM
i have a pajero auto and i have no troubles towing the cat
around 2 ton
legally not to sure
i was buying a 18 ft daul axle kedron off road caravan untill i was told the pajero could tow the van ok if i didnt load the van with exta gear.and interstate could be illegal ??
auto no problems towing because the pajero . you can also use it like a manual when required and when the wife drives it . AUTO.best of both worlds #;D

jimbamb
31-07-2004, 07:35 AM
Snappa,
The rta are gettin serious about exceeding towing limits and towball weights. best to check the capacities in the vehicle manual and also must be listed on the towbar.
Those kedron vans are pretty neat arent they.

fisherking
16-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Can anyone tell me about the trouble with the 5th gear in the 2004 3l diesel nissan patrol? We've already had clutch problems with ours. Thanks :'(

bidkev
17-08-2005, 01:48 PM
i have a pajero auto and i have no troubles towing the cat
around 2 ton
legally not to sure

Is that a new model Snappa?

My 89 3litre wagon is only rated one and a half ton with 75 kilo at draw bar. I'm having to look at other vehicles to pull the Sea Legend at 2 ton.

cheers

kev

Big_Kev
17-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Kev; Jeep Grand Cherokee now sports the best in its class towing capacioty at 3500kg. Combined with the new V6 CRD at 510nm = towing not a problem. Or purhaps the 5.7 HEMI sits better if you are a petrol head.

bidkev
17-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Kev; Jeep Grand Cherokee now sports the best in its class towing capacioty at 3500kg. Combined with the new V6 CRD at 510nm = towing not a problem. Or purhaps the 5.7 HEMI sits better if you are a petrol head.

Can't stretch to a new model yet. At the moment I'm only looking at spending 10 to 15 grand. Any ideas?

cheers

kev

Big_Kev
17-08-2005, 04:16 PM
XJ Cherokee. Some good one's around for sale for 10-12k private sale. Tons of grunt and comfy with heaps of extra's.

NeilD
17-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Kev

Don't forget the Landies. Built for towing that sort of weight.

Neil

cooky
26-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Do a test not goin over 100 an see how it goes

90km/h - isn't this a bit frustrating on the highway - for other motorists??? I would prefer to travel at 100km/h

bidkev
27-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Do a test not goin over 100 an see how it goes

90km/h - isn't this a bit frustrating on the highway - for other motorists??? #I would prefer to travel at 100km/h

Think yourself lucky that you don't live in the UK then. When I left, there was a 50mph limit for trailers.

kev

DALEPRICE
27-08-2005, 02:38 PM
i purchased the 3lt turbo diesel narvara trayback about 3 months ago,
i am gettin around 8.5 to 9 lts per 100kms around bribie and to caboolture
everyday. i used to have a GQ 3lt petrol and it was very good but after gettin a td ill never go back.
cheers dale