PDA

View Full Version : convert AWD to RWD in a 80series

Wild_cat
05-04-2005, 05:51 PM
I have a 93 Lcrusier Wagon 80series. Great vehicle and real ejoy most aspects of it. Except the usual bitch about fuel (I have the petrol).

I was picking up a uni air filter and got to talking to the sales bloke about a conversion that will allow the the vehicle to run in normal rear wheel drive and then select 4 wheel drive by engaging free wheeling hub. I've often thought why don't these cruisers have the stadard rear wheel drive/4wheeldrive setup there ain't to much snow and ice around Oz to warrant AWD.

I'm sure changing to rear wheel drive would have a positive effect on fuel but even more so on general wear and tear. I have spent some buck on CV's and front drive assembly.

The Bloke who is also a Fitter/Welder has done the coversion on his 80series and talked about the smoothness of gear changes, less drive noise and more responsive take off.

The kit cost about $600+ not including install. What is the general feeling about this coversion. Has anyone done their own conversion using the Kit and what is your opinion

Cheers John

kleiny
06-04-2005, 10:05 AM
i own a nissan so don't have the problem but if i had a landcruiser it would be the first thing i would do. i was talking to a mechanic friend & he said cv's every 2 years plus other parts. Kleiny (do it)

dazza
06-04-2005, 11:53 AM
hi wild cat,
hopefully corry will read this thread. he is an 80 series nut.
check out his web site www.corrysplace.com.au
you will be able to get hold of him through there

cheers
dazza

Needmorerum
31-08-2005, 10:12 PM
John, how did you go? Did you do the conversion. The bloke I was talking to you about who has done his, is happy with it. I'm not sure if it was because he could drop it into 2WD to get home from Cruiser Park after tearing the front diff tube open, or being able to do donuts on the beach.
How it goes over time, will be good to know. It has been in for about 4 months now, and he is happy with it, besides a couple of excursions doing the conversion, but all seems to be OK now.

Interested to hear which way you went,

Corry

GBC
31-08-2005, 10:31 PM
And u can fit an auto locker to the front end for about $550. Big improvement for the investment.

Needmorerum
31-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Then you can pull it out and fit an air locker after the auto locker experience.

Sorry GBC, I have a personal dislike to auto lockers. Seen too many traded back in for air lockers in the quest for full control.

Corry

GBC
01-09-2005, 12:29 PM
Corry, did you notice I said 'for the investment'.
By your logic having no locker is better than having an auto locker. And we are talking front ends here, so 'loss of control' is limited to the times when 4wd is actually engaged. A correctly fitted auto locker will make your turning circle in 4wd a bit bigger, sure, and if that is the trade off against not having one i'll take it every day.
Obviously when money is not a worry there are better options, but for most of us that won't happen.

finding_time
01-09-2005, 12:35 PM
You cheepskate GBC I know you have airlocker evvy ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ian

GBC
01-09-2005, 12:37 PM
yeah you caught me out

Needmorerum
03-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Auto lockers are good in their place. In a scenario of say climbing a decent hill and needing to negotiate around a tree, you have to stop and engage 2WD to get the steering to be able to go around, and then you most probably won't be able to get enough traction in 2WD to get the vehicle moving again.
Another scenario is soft sand, or mud. Keeping momentum up and then trying to turn sharp corners, or doge that ellusive stake or stump.
As mentioned, it would be better than not having one at all, but there has to be compromises somewhere. If someone is fitting a front locker, then generally they are going to be using the car for some good off roading, then it is worth the extra bit of dough. Big dollars have probably been spent on other things to make the vehicle capable also.
You've bought up a good point here GBC, something is better than nothing,

Scratch's are Trophies,
Corry

Nexus
06-09-2005, 09:24 AM
I have an 80 series wagon and have fitted the part time 4wd kit and could not be happier! Not only is the fuel consumption better with less wear on the front end but the feel of the thing driving is heaps better. You have more control in the steering more so at high speed.

Wild_cat
06-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Nexsus: I was the bloke that kick this thread off(suprised to see it still going). I can't see myself doing the conversion for a while now, funds are needed in other places. But I would definitly like to hear a bit more about your conversion How much, who did it, What are the draw backs that you can see, does it make alot of difference to economy. The bloke I originally talk to is pretty switched on and know his stuff but he was also trying to sell his product and hearing some other opinions would be worth while

Thanks

Needmorerum
06-09-2005, 10:23 PM
I have an 80 series wagon and have fitted the part time 4wd kit and could not be happier! You have more control in the steering more so at high speed.

Nexus, out of the many people I have spoken to who now have this type of conversion, and those that do the conversion, I have always been informed that you can't expect the steering to be as responsive as it was when the vehicle was full time, especially at high speed.
I am surprised to hear this, I have experienced driving my constant GXL a number of times after smashing front diff centres and modifying it to two wheel drive for the drive home, and some of the drives home have been over 1000klms, both on unsealed and sealed roads. I personally, found the steering to be a bit second hand compared to when the front wheels are driving as well. The ass end tends to become a bit taily, hence why most rally cars are all wheel drive. Which is what a constant 4WD vehicle is, all wheel not 4 wheel drive.
It is good to hear the different 'feelings', or experiences that people get from this type of modification.
As far as wear on components, my thoughts are that this is psychological. One set of axles that I have for my 80, have done nearly 300k klms, and there is no sign of wear on either of them. The car has been constant all its life. Wear on axles, bearings, and diff centres, which is all really that will see the change, aren't going to see that much difference. Unless of course the vehicle never sees 4WD, in this case why buy one. All three of my shorty's front diffs are showing signs of wear on the pinion and carrier bearings, this I put down to lack of respect and services.
Fuel consumption, I doubt that the savings would be much in a diseasel, and if running a petrol cruiser, fuel economy, or lack there of, is one thing that you have to accept. Would be interesting to hear of what fuel savings you have had. I am currently running around 10.5 litres per 100 out of the 80 when it is unloaded (2.8t), and around 15 when loaded to around 3.5t. I make sure I do all valve clearances, pump and injectors on a regular basis. You couldn't want much better than that. Mind you, I would willingly pay for more fuel if it was going to give me more power on the highway, but mine is used mainly for extended outback trips, and off road, hence it is diseasel.
Good to see some constructive and knowledgable replies coming into topics such as this.

Corry

Wild_cat
07-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Corry have you heard much about the reduction of drive train slap? I also thought the wear is mostly on the CV's as they are on load constanly mind you this is only what I have been told and seem to make sense as I have have limited knowlge once you get past wheel nuts. It is interesting what you said about economy not that I expected it to reduce greatly but I thought just the load of driving 4 wheel would have some different. But I thought the comment on stop eating fast food was pretty apt for me. Power is not the issue for me as it seem to tow the shark cat pretty well and It still turn the wheels in some loose sand near the Springs at Agnes

Nexus
08-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Corry, I know two other people who have had the conversion done and they agree the feel of the steering improves, i guess we all just like different things! I do most of my km's on the blacktop were not too many rally cars spend there time and i have found it to be better on this surface. If i was on a dirt road for distance and speed i probably would engage 4wd but not on bituman. After smashing as many front ends as you have you would know it is only a hilux rear diff in the front of an 80 and if they are strong enough to drive all the time why didn't toyota put one in the rear? I don't remember the exact fuel figures but it was noticeable. Maybe not to the point that it would pay for itself soon but still noticeable. As for the arse end being a bit taily, i guess and 80 running 35" muddies and 5" lift springs would be taily, and maybe thats why i noticed such a difference to the steering. Wild_cat i am not sure of the cost because it was done when i was getting air lockers fitted so it was cheaper but call any ARB shop they will let you know and maybe even try getting in touch with a toyota 4wd club and ask for there opinion.

Needmorerum
08-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Used in everyday and normal driving situations, there isn't really anything wrong with the hilux diff in the front of the 80's. As long as CV's are packed right, there shouldn't be too much problem with them either, unless in reverse with locker on.
Three things an 80 front diff benefits by for strength, increase in stud size that retain the centre, properly packed CV's, and a locker of any description, as the standard centre doesn't give enough support.
Mine spends more time in low range in very harsh areas, more than it does on the black top, mainly cause I use one of my 40 Shorty's for running around town. The bonuses of having 3 Cruisers I spose.
Wild_Cat, as a member of both the QLD and Aus Toyota clubs, I have put forward a request for more info on the conversion there, I will post up replies when they come back.

Corry

Wild_cat
08-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Thanks gents